Econo Lodge Fairfax

Orbitz.com Travelocity Booking.com

Satisfaction Average

Similarly priced and rated as other 1 star hotels

More about Fairfax

Liz's new shoesLiz's new shoes

Crab CakesCrab Cakes

RUSH HOURS TRAFFIC, WASHINGTON METROPOLITAN AREARUSH HOURS TRAFFIC, WASHINGTON METROPOLITAN AREA

WASHINGTON DULLES INTERNATIONAL AIRPORTWASHINGTON DULLES INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT

Travel Tips for Fairfax

Creative ways to have fun

by b1bob

You have seen the picture I took from the vantage point of the skateboard on my belly during my senior year. However, I had even more creative fun than that earlier on. Pictured is the pathway behind Franklin & Grayson Hall. The winter of my sophomore year, it came up a bad ice storm. The allocated desk chairs for the University Commons area had metal runners at that time. Folks would take their chairs to the top of the hill, turn them around back first and use them as makeshift sleds. With each snowstorm, dorm life wouldn't be the same without a snowball fight. Inside the dorm, there was this traditional pillow fight. One time, one of my neighbours from down the hall named Thad took the show on the road. He chased me all over campus and even into the library. At that time, I was more aerodynamically suited to all that running.

More new buildings at GMU

by b1bob

In this picture, almost none of these buildings were built when I was there. The Centre for the Arts (the white building in the foreground on the left) opened just before I graduated, the other art building, and the Johnson Centre opened well after I left. The antenna rising prominently into the sky is a top the older science building (not in view here).

Student Union Building 1

by b1bob

Student Union 1 is where many of the university's administrative offices were. Many were in the top floor and some (mainly student government and newspaper) offices were on the first floor. The ground floor had a mini market and a restaurant that was an adequate alternative to the dining hall.

Earthworm's Eye View of President's Park

by b1bob

This picture was taken atop the hill between Madison and Jefferson Halls in March, 1991. On a dare, I skateboarded down the hill clear behind Eisenhower Hall (the central building) on what little there was (at that time) of my belly. Fortunately, I kept the thing on course so I didn't eat concrete (though it would have been tastier and better for me than what they routinely served at the dining hall).

Patriot Centre

by b1bob

The Patriot Centre is the home of the George Mason Patriots basketball team. As the only NCAA sport of any national acclaim here, the Patriots are a better than average team. Several times, once when I attended there, they made the NCAA playoffs affectionately called "The Big Dance". When the GMU Patriots (not to be confused with a certain NFL team in New England) are away or in the off season, it is used for concerts and other special events. At the end of every semester, George Mason University holds its graduation ceremonies here. It was in this building on 18 May 1991 that my education was officially complete.

Comments