Marriott Fairfax Fair Oaks Mall

Travelocity Marriott.com Booking.com

More about Marriott Fairfax Fair Oaks Mall

Fair Oaks Mall

by cjg1

The Fair Oaks Mall is a typical suburban shopping center with food options and stores. We found ourselves in the mall on several occasions to do a bit of shopping and to grab a bite to eat at the Cheesecake Factory.

The mall has a food court area, JC Penny's, Sephora, Jos. A Banks, Macy's and a variety of other stores ranging from inexpensive to designer.

Largest shopping mall

by matcrazy1 about Fair Oaks Mall

Urszula (matcrazy0), Nat (b1bob) and I were killing time in Fair Oaks Mall out of the cold rain before heading to nearby Washington Dulles International Airport and flight back to Poland.

Fair Oaks Mall is the largest shopping mall I visited in Washington metropolitan area and may compete with the largest ones I visited in Poland. There are 180 stores, services and restaurants as well as US chain department stores: Macy's (mid-range or rather all-range department store), Lord & Taylor (the oldest US department store chain - 1826; upclass), Hecht's, Sears (mid-range chain of international department stores) and JCPenney.

For European visitor it may be some kind of fun to discover unknown in Europe chain shops and department stores. Urszula simply loved it! Indeed, even today in times of global market, there are partly (!) different clothes and other stuff in US shopping malls than in Europe. A few interesting shops of Fair Oaks Mall are described in my next tips. Just about everything imaginable is available at Fair Oaks Mall. Some shops are tailored to the thrifty and some are more upscale.

Fair Oaks Mall

by b1bob about Fair Oaks Mall

Fair Oaks Mall contains more than 100 shops and restaurants of every price range and description. Ironically, I have been here more since I graduated and moved back to the south than I did during my years at George Mason University. I first went here my very first night at university, the Friday before classes started when my (then) new room mate Joe and I took supper there. A lot of times when James (from the Washington Hall days) flies east from California, we let Tiffany loose while we do our own thing elsewhere or visit Brookstone to see the latest gadgets (we can't afford) that are for sale. James likes to try out those leather massage chairs. Brookstone would make more money if they charged folks trying out the chairs than they would from selling them outright! Sometimes, we reunite with Tiffany and take lunch or supper right there in the mall, usually at Bennigan's. the last time I was there in November, 2004, Maciek, Urszula, and I were killing time there out of the cold rain. Just about everything imaginable is available at Fair Oaks Mall. Some shops are tailored to the thrifty and some are more upscale.

All under one roof

by b1bob

Who needs Fair Oaks Mall when you have the Johnson Centre? The book store has about everything a student could need. Besides books, they have all kinds of art supplies and whatnots with the university logo. Also in the mall is a library annex, a food court and a drug store. Most folks snap their pictures from the front. I figured I would be different and do it from the back.

Nat, Christmas and one nasty woman

by matcrazy1

Well, as I already stated, I didn't visit typical for a visitor points of interest in Fairfax. I was only doing shopping in huge Fair Oaks Mall and I ate at 29 Diner. So, my foundest memory from Fairfax is surely Nat's (b1bob) company and our talks :-) as well as impressive Christmas decorations with large Christmas tree in Fair Oaks Mall. I was surprised to see tropical animals under the Christmas tree. Well, add one a rather unpleasant event which happened to me in Fair Oaks Mall.

Both Nat and I were taking pictures inside the mall. Suddenly, I heard loud voice of a woman working in Harry and David store. She run off the store and was yelling at me, "Why do you take pictures here?" or something along those lines. Well, I was a bit embarrassed and replied that for leisure/memory or something like this. I don't know what Nat said to her, but she finally, without a word, went back to work. I don't think that the woman was Southern, or something was eating her that day.

I don't know if there are any rules against taking pictures in Fair Oaks Mall, or U.S. shopping malls in general. In Polish malls it's clearly stated that it's forbidden without prior permission from the owner. In the USA I took pictures in corridors and halls and I usually asked about taking a picture inside any store. I was never stopped by any security guards. Only once I was shortly asked about it by a security guard who after my explanations laughing at or with me allowed me to take pictures from the outside of stores and wished me great time :-). Imagine, he had never heard about Virtual Tourist but promised to check the VT website :-).

Fair Oaks MallFair Oaks Mall