541 Warrenton Road, Fredericksburg, Virginia, 22406, United States

Trolley Tours of FredericksburgTrolley Tours of Fredericksburg

Travel Tips for Fredericksburg

Fredericksburg in Fall

by chewy3326

Coming to Fredericksburg in fall, you'll see the best of the town; trees are all bright yellow and red, making the scene very vibrant, and while nights can be cold, days are still okay. In Fredericksburg, fall foliage generally peaks between the last week of October and the second week of November. The Rappahannock River is especially beautiful during this time.

Sculpture of "Lance"

by Foundryman1

This is another work by Clydetta Fulmer commissioned by our local newsper the Free Lance Star.I've been told they have taken to calling him Lance now although the intent I believe was to portray Mr Rowe-one of the founders of the paper-as a child hawking newspapers.He stands out in front of the newspaper building on Amelia street.

Like an old, comfortable shoe

by zanzooni about Sammy T's Light Food and Ale

I loved the feel of this place, the old mingled with the somewhat new. Very eclectic with Diego Rivera art work on the wall, painted old copper ceilings, the fans, an old phone booth, and a wonderful, patient General Manager, Sam Emory III, that earned 5 gold stars in his crown after dealing with Hailley the entire time I was there. H, being her affectionate, rambunctious self, immediatly made him her best friend, and he allowed her carte blanche around the establishment. She followed him like a puppy, and he let her wash up next to the bar, got her tooth picks( she loves the look, what can I say) and when she took his hand, and led him around to ask what it this and that, he obliged and answered her questions. What a gem! The restaurant is comfortable, with regulars entering, and he knew them all. There is out door seating as well albeit only a couple of tables, and they were taken when we were there. It was a beautiful day to be outside, warm, and the sky was clear and blue. Had H not been with me, I would have been wanting a table, but better that we weren't, as she would have been wanderin' off into the nether regions.

The food here is eclectic, taking in all palates from Vegan to Carnivore. I could not make my mind up, as I was hungry, but not hungry. I chose the BBQ Pulled Pork sandwich, as my rationale was, It's the South, and what is the south with out the BBQ? Sad, that's what. The tradition in the deep south is to eat it with coleslaw on the sandwich. Well, Hailley had her usual FF's, made and cut from real potato's. She wasn't hungry that day as well, and turned up her nose. She was more concerned about "her" horse, that just left down the way, and it created her tears to flow like champagne that was just uncorked. I had the BBQ pork sandwich with 'slaw. Very Suth'en...

I took Denise here today, and we were treated like old friends. I introduced her to Sammy, and he not only greated her effusively, but he rememebered me and Hailley. Today, I had the Gourmet Hamburger - Five ounces of lean fresh ground beef seasoned with their spices, then grilled and served on a Kaiser roll with mayo, mustard, lettuce and tomato. I skipped the mustard, and added feta cheese..yummy..Denice and I split onion rings...WOW..they were the best that I have had since my Granny used to make them. I could taste the beer-batter and Denice and I thought they were incredible. The waitress, who was very effervescent, came to the table with the onion rings, and served them with their home made real butter milk ranch dressing, spiced lightly with dill. I don't like ranch..but their Ranch..bring it on! Denice had the vegatarian chili, which I tasted, and it was faboo...this establishment makes you want to come back for more...~

Fredericksburg Battlefield Driving Tour

by Tom_Fields

From the Visitors Center, one can drive the entire length of the Fredericksburg battlefield. Along the way are the trenches used by Rebel troops, the gun pits which once held Confederate artillery, and the command post used by General Lee. There are also monuments to the brave troops on both sides.

One particularly significant one is a stone pyramid, marking the extent of the Union troops' advance. Touring this battlefield gives one an idea of the sacrifices made. One thing the tends to be missed is how much this area has changed. Encroaching suburban sprawl and the growth of the surrounding forest have provided cover and concealment which simply didn't exist in 1862. The Yankees had to advance across wide open terrain, making them perfect targets for the Confederate troops and guns. Their enormous courage under fire is unforgettable.

At the far south end of the road is the position held by General Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson. This is the turn-around point. So head back north from there and stop for anything you missed.

SHENANDOAH NATIONAL PARK & SKYLINE DRIVE

by LoriPori

Sunday, October 24, 2010
We entered SHENANDOAH NATIONAL PARK at the Thornton Gap Entrance Station, which was just off the U.S. Highway 211 near Luray VA
At the entrance we were charged $15.00 for an Auto/Week Pass just to drive through the Park. US Senior Citizens are charged $10.00 for the pass.
The Shenandoah National Park, in the Blue Ridge Mountains, features forest, wildlife, hiking trainl, cultural sites and outstanding views along the 105 mile of the historic Skyline Drive. This mountaintop park consists of more than 197,000 acres of land and in excess of 500 miles of hiking trails, including 101 miles of the Appalachian Trail.
Along the 105-mile long Skyline Drive - a national Scenic Byway - visitors have access to 75 scenic overlook, four campgrounds, three lodging facilities and educational features. Numbered concrete mileposts on the west side of Skyline Drive help you find facilities and services. Many of the drive's Scenic Overlooks are marked with a dot, in the map that was given to you at the Park Entrance.
We entered the Park at 1:22 (time shown on our Park Pass) and we exited around 5:00 p.m. at Waynesboro, where we would look for accommodations for the night before going on to the Blue Ridge Parkway the next day.

Comments