Richard Johnston Inn

711 Caroline Street, Fredericksburg, Virginia, 22401, United States

More about Richard Johnston Inn

Lovely Place to Stay

by TripAdvisor Member AndiRN

My husband and I spent our wedding night at the Richard Johnston Inn. Unfortuately, he did not get to have the wonderful breakfast that I had the previous morning with my girlfriends that stayed with the me on the wedding eve. We had to rush off early to catch our flight for our honeymoon.

The Inn is so charming and decorated so beautifully. Bonnie was very friendly and accomidating to our wishes and requests.

I hope that we will get an opportunity to stay at the Inn again.

Delightful stay.

My husband and I live in NH and decided on a whim in March to drive south until we found some spring. We took our bikes and headed down Interstate 95. We wandered in southern Maryland with our bikes and then crossed over into Virginia landing in Fredricksburg. After visiting the info building and inquiring as to a B&B were forwarded just across the street to the Richard Johnston home. It was a perfect match for us. We love staying in quaint well cared for Bed and Breakfasts. Bonnie the innkeeper was very helpful in getting us settled in and recommendations for dinner. We happened to be in town for the 1st St. Patrick's Day parade and concert. Had a great night's sleep in a well appointed bedroom and a wonderful breakfast. We considered staying another night but the lure of Washington DC was too much. We recommend this B&B highly.

Our Favourite Inn

by TripAdvisor Member Goodlander

Of all the places in all the towns we have stayed whilst visiting the USA over the past 16 years this is our Number 1.

We were welcomed into the Inn by the delightful Laura who showed us round and introduced our three children to the dogs Scooter and Sam. We stayed in the Isabella Suite for 3 nights and 3 fabulous breakfasts, (especially the banana pancakes). Our room was very clean and tidy, with all we could ever need and more!

Fredericksburg is a lovely little town with so much history and friendly people, we took the trolley tour from the Visitor Center just across the street. There are some wonderful places to eat at and the Railway Station (for Washington DC) is a short walk away.

As always with Bed and Breakfasts we met some nice people who were also staying. The children of course loved the little dogs (and the 2 cats outside), my 10 year old daughter declaring it the friendliest place to stay in America and we all happily agree to that!

Thank you Bonnie, we miss your breakfasts!

Loved the Richard Johnston Inn

by TripAdvisor Member SearchforExcellence

What a wonderful experience! My wife and I needed a little get-away from home and decided to tour Fredericksburg. Staying at the Richard Johnston Inn made the entire experience incredibly pleasurable.

Situated in the heart of Old Town (across the street from the visitor's center), the home was built pre-Revolutionary War and is gorgeously appointed. It feels like travelling back in time. The owner and innkeeper met us, gave us a brief tour, and took us to our room (The Virginian). There we enjoyed complementary bourbon served out of crystal. Very nice reception indeed!

The bed was comfortable, the facilities spacious, the location excellent and the hospitality generous. We loved the full, sit-down breakfast Bonnie made for all the guests. Better than most restaurants. Lots of sliced fruit, freshly baked apple cake and an eggs Benedict-type entre. Perfectly done.

The Inn is situated very close to Fredericksburg's historical sites of interest, all of which are within walking distance. We had dinner at Augustines a few blocks down (see other review) which literally blew our minds.

We were sad to stay only one night. The price was incredibly reasonable for the stay and ammenities - about $140. We would absolutely stay here again and highly recommend it to TripAdvisor members.

Best B&B we have been to

by TripAdvisor Member vtullo

We stayed at the Richard Johnston Inn in Fredericksburg. Fantastic B&B. Rooms were beautiful, clean and quite. Very historical area. Lot's to see and do. I would highly reccomend the Richard Johnston Inn

A Happy Surprise

by TripAdvisor Member CKWHITNEY

An all-too-quick overnight in the charming and historical town of Fredericksburg, VA was made truly special by the accommodations at The Richard Johnston Inn, a building (two actually) with its own interesting history. At this Inn, southern hospitality is genuinely practiced - not "attempted" - all the more curious since the Innkeepr is a displaced New Yorker. Candy jars in the hallways, fresh baked cookies, decanters of brandy in the rooms and toiletry supplies in baskets for the forgetful traveler are just a few of the finishing touches. The common rooms are spacious and used by guests - not merely offered as museums to be walked through and not enjoyed. The garden area is a pleasant gathering place. Ample parking.
We have stayed in upwards of 100 B & b's and Boutique Hotels and this is one of the top 3 in our experience.

Comfort, Relaxation and a few good laughs in the heart of the city

by TripAdvisor Member travel49

My wife and I spent a lovely day in Fredericksburg, VA highlighted by our stay in the Richard Johnston Inn. The Inn, built in 1770, has all of the charm of the Revolutionary era, the elegance of a Victorian manor and the amenities of a modern 4 star hotel.

We had a quick peek at several of the rooms but felt ours, The Olde Town on the 3rd floor, was the best. It was very spacious and very comfortable, perfect after a day of strolling the streets and shops of this jewel of a city. The complimentary Cognac and chocolates in the room, as well as a never-ending supply of honest-to-goodness Toll House cookies were wonderful touches as well.

We had lunch at Le Petit Auberge, which was terrific and a great value. We had dinner at Chords (not offered as a recommendation by the Innkeeper) which was ok at best. The server was a bit arrogant - when asked which cut of beef was his preference between a ribeye special and a filet, answered with "It depends on whether you want flavor or tenderness". At their prices I had hoped to get both and was a bit surprised they might be mutually exclusive.

Anyway, the Inn is great and Bonnie is a joy. Especially charming in the early AM at breakfast.

Enjoy!

PM - Danbury, CT

Ok, but horrible toilet seat

by TripAdvisor Member travelophiles

Room was lovely. Really nice size. We stayed in the Virginian I think. The room was ruined, however, by the toilet in the en-suite bathroom. This had a padded vinyl-type seat from which the air would puff out, whenever you sat down - it was horrible!
Also, unlike most of the other B&Bs at which we stayed I thought the innkeeper here was very unfriendly. When we arrived late afternoon, she was sitting in the main living room with her feet up watching the television and she didn't move from there at all. This made us feel like we would be intruding if we sat down there as well so we just had to hide in our room. Exactly the thing one always worries about in Inns! The inn itself is beautiful and well located. We had dinner when we were there at the Bistro Bethem which was fantastic.

Fantastic experience

by TripAdvisor Member gadgetguy505

We had a fantastic experience staying at the Richard Johnston Inn in Fredericksburg. We took Amtrak from NYC and walked the three blocks to the Inn, which is right in town. For a historic house, the upkeep is tremendous. We stayed in the Old Time room, which was spacious, comfortable, and elegant.

The Inn keeper, Bonnie, went out of her way for us and even sewed my button back on my shirt as we prepared to go to a friend's wedding.

Although we came to Fredericksburg for a wedding, we had such a good time that we are planning on coming back and staying again at the Richardston Johnston Inn.

A Perfect B&B Experience

by TripAdvisor Member history_prof_2b

The Richard Johnson Inn represents everything I expect in a truly superior B&B: great location, historically significant building, tasteful and authentic appointments, delicious food, and friendly service.

The Richard Johnson Inn is located just across from Old Towne Fredericksburg's Visitor Center. The Inn is a ca. 1770 structure that still maintains some of its original floorplan. Despite its in-town location, the Inn has plenty of parking in its own private lot behind the Inn (you don't appreciate this until you have visited Fredericksburg and experienced its lack of parking during the height of tourist season).

When entering the Inn from the back parking lot, you are greeted by a beautifully landscaped courtyard with a fountain off to the side. Two friendly cats call this space home. Some of the rooms are located off this courtyard, and all guests are welcomed to use the outdoor space. The miniature lights and hanging stars really set the mood for relaxation.

The innkeeper, Bonnie, is an experienced hospitality professional (and it shows). She is courteous and friendly, but unintrusive. One can tell she takes great pride and enjoyment in her job.

The common areas inside the Inn are tastefully decorated with period antiques and classy reproductions. During my visit, the Inn was decked out for fall and Halloween in all its glory. Wall hangings and pictures remind the guests of the history that Fredericksburg made: portraits of Washington, scenes from American history, and Civil War maps grace the walls. There is a large TV in the sitting room, with an enormous selection of DVDs and VHS tapes for guests to borrow. (FYI: The Innkeeper's friendly dogs have the run of the common areas, so those who dislike dogs beware...I thought they added to the cozy atmosphere.)

My room, "Olivia's," featured a canopied queen-size bed, a dresser, a writing desk, a settee, a rocking chair, and a 13" TV/VCR combo set. This huge room was painted a creamy mint color, and the linens were a soothing cream color. All of the antique accessories were in pastels and white. The dresser and writing desk were quality, solid-wood reproductions by Ethan Allen. The bed and side table were wrought-iron and softened by a lacey net canopy. The European bedlinens were soft and comfortable. The bed itself was, bar none, the most comfortable mattress I've slept on away from home.

The small but functional ensuite bathroom was quite nice. English soaps and toiletries were provided, as were soft towels and washcloths. My only quibbles here were the vinyl toilet seat (I hate these, as the seem unsanitary to me), the "merely OK" showerhead, and the cracked cultured marble sink. These items really need to be replaced as they mar an otherwise perfect B&B room.

The breakfast, served at the grand dining room table downstairs, was quite delicious and generous. During the week, an "extended" continental breakfast is offered: cereals, yogurts, fruit salad, homemade coffeecake, homemade sour cream-pumpkin cake, and tea/coffee/juice made up the breakfast offerings. A full "cooked" breakfast is served on weekends; given that the Innkeeper has published a cookbook, I believe the weekend breakfast would be spectacular!

I was so taken by the Richard Johnson Inn that I've decided to go back in Spring, 2007.

I give the Inn my highest possible recommendation!

Fredericksburg CemeteryFredericksburg Cemetery