700 Settlers Landing, Hampton, Virginia, 23669, United States
IHG Booking.com Travelocity

More about Hampton

The CourthouseThe Courthouse

Coming around the Chamberlain Hotel in our boatComing around the Chamberlain Hotel in our boat

CampgroundsCampgrounds

Quarters inside the wallsQuarters inside the walls

Travel Tips for Hampton

Hampton Tip

by rids

Whenever I see commerical fishing boats moored I look around to see if there is any place I can buy fresh seafood. Hampton and Newport News are right next to each other and near dusk we were driving along the James River, and at the end of the road, there was the fishing harbor. There were a couple of commerical seafood companies with a couple of guys standing around outside. They were about to close but they opened up for us. What was available then were scallops, crab cakes and Monkfish. Not many people in America eat monkfish, but it is delicious--almost like lobster. Actually it is a form of shark, with no bones other than a central soft backbone. In France it is known as Lotte, in Spain as Rape, and in Germany as Teufelfisch (devil fish). We bought several whole Monkfish (minus the heads), cut them into chunks, and had a fabulous dinner. The fish cost $3.00 a pound, and in the market in Texas it costs me $12.00 a pound. Nothing like cutting out the middlemen! Never be afraid to approach a commercial fisherman, boat or wholesale office and ask to buy a little bit of fish. I have never been turned down.

Hampton, Virginia

by rids

I spent a week in Frederick, Maryland for business. Then we went to visit my husband's son and his wife, who live in Hampton. We also visited friends in Newport News and Washington, DC.
As you can see by the map, it is very easy to go from one state to the next in a very short period of time (relative to the states in the Western U.S.). Decided to take the Chesapeake Bay Bridge route up the Eastern Shore of Virginia and through Maryland on the way back to DC, instead of getting in the rat race of Interstate 95. It was quite interesting--my only regret was that we did not have time to stop at a marina on Cheasapeake Bay (next to Annapolis) where they have the best soft-shell crab!

• Roni3's Profile Photo
    Dec 30, 2012 at 7:11 PM

Lady at service desk called my status base, staff went out of way to make me feel small. Ask if I could get a drink cause it was offered on last trip because I am priority member.Christmas Day was no cleaning service available we had do not disturbed until 12:00 left the hotel returned back at 9 pm no service, dirty towels. I called for service only 2 sets were sent up. No coffee for next morning , it seems coffee was offered for some quest at front of hotel it was never offered to us. On December 26 room half way cleaned dirty cups left all over the room, no coffee. Rain stormed came in the area the carpet was wet near the windows. I have stayed at the hotel before and service continue to decline, was scouting out hotels in area for graduation in future have a lot of family coming in town and back and forth in and out of town all the time, I would not recommend this hotel to dogs. Please stay else where, think staff need training in what crowne plaza is known for, a place to meet and outstanding service:-( I am writing this because I expressed my concerns the last time. I stayed here when the toilet was not clean and had rim inside had to clean own toilet upon checking in. Every time I ask for some thing staff seems like its a bother, and no changes from last visit, the manager on duty was Amy. The YMCA or dog pound would be better choice.