1822 Resort Drive, Harrisonburg, Virginia, 22840, United States

Satisfaction Average

• lefties's Profile Photo

Incredible Virgina Mountain Resort

Our stay was very relaxing in the peaceful solitude of the Mountains. Many deer, groundhog, and bear were observed at close range. The condo we booked was very spacious with all the comforts of home. The staff was attentive and knowledgable.

Unique Quality: Boasting over 125 activites with venues (golf course, mini-putt, driving range, horse stables, pools) of excellent quality.

Directions: From I-81 South via Exit 1A on the left toward Roanoke.
    Merge onto US-33 East via Exit 247A toward Elkton.
    Turn Left onto Resort Dr.
    Turn Left onto Massanutten Dr.
    Turn Right to stay on Massanutten Dr. Follow signs to 'check-in'.

More about Massanutten Resort

America's rated one of the best resort

by Faiza-Ifrah about Woodstone at Massanutten

We stayed in Woodstone Resort. The resort apartment given to us had a master bedroom with attached bath, another bedroom, a living room with full kitchen, a common bathroom with Jacuzzi, and all other amenities associated with luxury accommodations. The interior décor was awesome. This is what we wanted. A facility like this rejuvenated us after day long adventure of any nature.

The Resort was located close to all the attractions of the Massanutten mountain and provided an easy access to Shenandoah National Park through Route 33 entrance to it.

Enough parking space was available. Outside, the resort apartment provided beautiful views of the landscape. Golfers can enjoy an 18 hole, PGA rated or an 18 hole Executive golf course. Also available on site are swimming pools, a gymnasium, racquetball courts, exercise equipment, steam room, sauna, massage services, tennis courts, and children programmes.

Chairlifts to Massanutten Mountain

by Faiza-Ifrah

Chairlifts is the best way to see the beautiful summer and fall scenery from the mountaintop. They run every Monday, Wednesday and Friday from May 5 to October 3 and every Sunday, Wednesday and Friday from october 5 to 31.

The chairlifts can carry 4 persons at a time and take to the mountain top in two stretches. The tickets are reasonably priced at $6 for adults and $4 for children 12 and under and are available from the nearby general store. The general store also has Massanutten Mountain related souvenirs available for buying.

Wildlife abounds in Massanutten Mountain and we were able to see white tailed deer, a bear, ground hogs, a weasel, and Turkey vultures from the chairlifts. At the end, we got down and hiked to reach the mountain top.

Massanutten

by b1bob

I don't know if I would call it a fond memory, but it is sure enough notable. In February, 1982, I went with my church youth group on a ski trip to Massanutten (near Harrisonburg). Because I had a terrible cold, I had as much business on the slopes as a moose has in a phone booth. But, I was 12 years old and not as reasoned as I am today. I tried to ski and I'm a perfect example of why you don't see many Southerners in the Winter Olympics. If the South had won the War, we would be as much of a joke in those Games as was the 1988 Jamaican bobsled team. As for me, I spent most of that ski trip off the slopes. It wasn't one of my most shining moments, but it was a valuable lesson learned. If you're some kind of snow bunny, here are detailed directions.

Loved it

We had a wonderful time, we took a tour and was not pushed by any sales clerk to buy at all. In fact the sales clerk where all nice and answered any questions that we had. Yes we bought a timeshare and I can't wait to get back to Massanutten for more fun.

Great place to feel good

I have been to a lot of resorts and not many stack up to this place. The peacefulness and family atmosphere is exactly what we like about it. There are no roller coasters but there are beautiful mountains and all the condos and rooms have views. If you need more mountains then Skyline drive is only a few miles away.

There are several pools and the ski slope which we have skiied on a number of times. We have skiied NY and VT and this place is just fine. We like it. Its a quiet country setting with just enough to do to keep you pleasantly busy.

I have taken friends and family members there and the result is always the same. Everyone comes away charmed by the peacefulness of the mountains and the resort. I look forward to trying the waterslides. Massanutten does everything well. Its one of our favorite places. And we love the size of the condos. No place has condos that big. But I will admit, that if you aren't looking for someplace to relax then you should not go here. The heck with the other reviews. Massanutten is a great time with the family. No crowds to speak of. And don't bring a bicycle. Phewww unless you can peddle up a mountain. The resort is largely mountainside.

Great for Families

Stayed at Massanutten in Aug of 05. Took a tour, and found the people professional and educated. Food was OK, but they could use another resturaunt. The resort has countless activities and amenites for families and my wife and I went to a "wine makers" dinner for our anniversary. My kids loved both indoor sports/rec areas, and are begging me to take them back when the waterpark is open, and again when the ski slopes open. I have skiied at Massanueen before. If you are looking for aspen, this is not it. But there are no lift lines and is a nice place for "non-experts". I think that it is strange that most of people who complain about the resort are the ones who are there for the "free-bees". This resort is not perfect, but certainly better than watching TV all weekend.

Worth a shot

by TripAdvisor Member theresajoe

I've been to Massanutten about 6 times in the past decade. Each time we go we always had a good time. It's true, they do need a shuttle service (I mentioned it a few times to them), and if you are smart enough to say no and not attend a timeshare sales pitch, your vacation will be a lot nicer. But if you really need a free lunch/breakfast and the cash they throw in, hold out as long as possible-the amount of cash will rise. I was offered $200 but still turned it down. Before you spend a lot of money on an activity card, do your homework and see if it's worth it. For golfers who golf 2-3 times, you will get your money's worth. Also for the wine dinner--it's a nice evening especially if where you live there's a dearth of good resturaunts. I've never stayed at the hotel but I've been in the timeshare units. Overall, they were clean, well maintained and nice. I stayed at the Summit 3 times and i twas very nice.

Careful, don't fall for the trick

by TripAdvisor Member luvthehd

Okay, we've just returned from our first trip to Massanutten. We are timeshare owners (at a diffferent resort) and were able to trade our unit in PA for this resort in VA. We were in Woodstone Meadows, the newest part and an RCI Gold Crown Resort.

The whole resort is well-kept and clean, the scenery beautiful, activities adundant even in the "off" season, and the units spacious and inviting.

BUT for those of you who may be RCI members, don't fall for their trick! On our first full day I received a call from sales. They wanted to speak with us and get our opinions on the resort and the future waterpark. For our time we would receive $100. I replied no and when asked why, indicated to the woman I was not interested in hearing a sales pitch. With shock in her voice, she informed me that this was certainly not a sales pitch. I still turned her down.

The next day they called again, but spoke with my husband. When they upped the gift to $125 he said yes. At our appointment they offered us breakfast, and the sales rep proceeded to state that he did not know why we had been called but since we were already there he was obligated to ask us some questions and show us around the resort. It was all a trick.

Let me cut to the chase. After a lot of talking, and having to speak with a total of 4 people, the bottom line was that we ended up sitting through a sales presentation with 2 completely bored and irritated kids for 3 HOURS! They take you to the waterpark but you never get out of the sales rep's car. It's 100% sales pitch. I was furious because this farce of asking RCI members their opinion about the resort amenities made me miss out on a trip to Monticello (Thomas Jefferson's estate).

Save your vacation and don't answer the phone! The whole experience left a sour taste in my mouth for this resort...

Massanutten Vacation

by lefties

"Massanutten Mountain Resort"

Solitude is where we found it. Located an hour away from the hustle and bustle of Washington DC.

"Relaxation"

...of the 125+ activities fishing is a great way to start the day! Part of the golf course is also in the picture.

"A Good time had by all."

The gals enjoying the fresh air.
Frontrow left to right; Becky (wife), Mom, and Kylie (niece).
Backrow; Ann (sister in-law)

Massanutten ski resortMassanutten ski resort

RANGER STATION AND MASSANUTTEN VISITOR CENTERRANGER STATION AND MASSANUTTEN VISITOR CENTER

A board showing location of Massanutten from SNPA board showing location of Massanutten from SNP

Ski at Massanutten Resort

by Curioustravels

Hi,
Wondering if anyone has been to ski at the Massanutten resort and would like to share their experiences and tips?

We are a group of 10 including 3 young kids and a couple of novices and keen to find out more.

Thanks

Re: Ski at Massanutten Resort

by jbotkin

I'm no expert on skiing and have only skied two other places than Massanutten, so not sure what you have in mind; but, I can share my experiences. Massanutten is where I learned to ski and where I now take my son to snowboard. This is primarily because it is local for us. For beginners or novices, it is a nice ski area since in Virginia we do not have the terrain expert or more advanced skiers look for. So if you are looking for big trails with powder snow you will be disappointed. Please remember that we are considered a southern state and it can sometime be rather warm for skiing in the winter. They make lots of snow and we got lots of snow last winter, so there is snow, but there may be icy parts due to melting and refreezing. It is also small enough that you feel comfortable letting the kids go out without feeling like you have to stay right with them. Hope that helps.

Comments