Virginia Hotels

Our Members Say

Courtyard by Marriott: Yorktown ~ Nice Hotel in Good Location

Although we travel to this area of Virginia frequently, staying at the Courtyard by Marriott - Yorktown was a first for us. We booked our room online only a day in advance and based our choice of this hotel on its excellent location, price, amenities, its relative newness, and good reviews. We weren't disappointed! This area of Virginia has built up rapidly in the last 10 years and although the address of the hotel is technically located in "Yorktown" in the Kiln Creek area, it is very close to the Newport News city line.

Upon our arrival, we were immediately happy to have a fast, friendly and efficient check-in in the attractive lobby which was spacious, well-decorated, had a very large flat-screen TV used to watch sporting events mostly, seating area, and small dining area to accommodate patrons of The Bistro. We were very pleased with our well-decorated room, #207 on the second floor, which not only had a king-sized bed, large desk with swivel chair, flat screen TV, mini-fridge and microwave, but also a very comfortable seating area with sofa and coffee table. There was a separate dressing area and a large bathroom with a good shower, fluffy towels and plenty of hot water. Our room also came with coffee/tea making facilities, ironing board and iron and hairdryer. The room was quiet and oh so comfortable! If I had a complaint, it would only be that our mattress was a little too soft for my liking, but the wonderful bed linens more than made up for that.

Guest rooms come with complimentary Wireless, and Wired and the Lobby and public areas also have complimentary Wireless, and Wired . The hotel's amenities include a 24-hour business center, on-site laundry facilities, fitness center, and courtyard with gas grill & an outdoor pool, a Sundry/Convenience store, and room service from 7:00 AM-10:00 PM. Although the hotel grounds were quite small, I was impressed with the bit of landscaping they were able to tuck in here and there.

If driving, there is complimentary parking BUT if not, there is also FREE airport shuttle service from Newport News/Williamsburg International Airport - (PHF) Patrick Henry Field ONLY, but reservations are required. Shuttle Phone: 1 757 874 9000, Ext 0.

What more can you ask from a hotel and it was an excellent value!

Although this is a chain hotel, I was very impressed with it and I couldn't have asked for anything more. Other than the room itself, I have to say that The Bistro made an excellent addition to this hotel and was open for breakfast & dinner, while offering beer and wine in the evening.

The breakfast menu had good choices, both large and small, and a full American breakfast was priced at $9.95. For coffee lovers, look no farther than The Bistro which offered a range of specialty beverages made with Starbucks® coffee all day long.

For a small place, the menu was quite amazing: appetizers, snacks, sandwiches & burgers, salads, a few well-chosen entrees, pizza, desserts and more. It also had a decent selection of wines, craft beers, domestic & imported beers, and a selection of 5 cocktails.

Since we were visiting family on this trip, we didn't eat at The Bistro but you can bet we will the next time we stay at this hotel!

• Written October 21, 2014

• tkenjoy2 profile photo tkenjoy2
  • Reviews: 1

ocean sands resort

The room was nice clean a little small, trip was going great until the hot water tank broker and the hot water did not return to my room on 4th floor , so they quickly moved us to a new room on 12th floor smelled freshly painted it was nice though. We decided to go out Sunday 02-20-11 and found my car had been broken into as we were reporting ours another car was broken into, ruin my night , of course no cameras and signs saying not responsible so I have lost over 300.00 in items I can not get back. I rented the from from 02-18-11-02-25-11 I left and left my husband there this was a birthday gift for him. That Monday the resort manager came up and took our info again advised my husband he would get back with him well never happened highly disappointed. Need to add cameras to the parking deck or have key entrance to the parking deck. Never offered us anything and extra stay or nothing.

• Written March 7, 2011

• Suet profile photo Suet
  • Reviews: 401

Olde Silk Mill: Olde Silk Mill

Very pleasant hotel, nice lounge to sit and talk with your friends or other guests and a magnificent staircase in the main lobby. No lift, however, so remember to pack lightly!

The staff were most helpful and informative about the Hotel and things withing walking distance. There were many leaflets and books in the small lounge which told you all about the American Civil War and where the many battles were fought in the area, one in the town of Fredricksburg itself.

I loved the George Washington impression given by the hotel owner and his proclamation at breakfast, added a personal fun touch to a friendly hotel.

I also liked the fact that if you were a bit late for breakfast, there was not that "hurry up" feel about the service. That added to the charm for me as being punctual mars the holiday for me.

We had our VT Fredericksburg October 2010 meeting there, kindly organised by Zanzooni and as a result, they got the functions room at a discounted price. Well done Zooners!

An old building which retains the charm of the Old American look. The Floors are wooden which means no sneaking in quietly after lights out! I had a peek around some of my friends' rooms and was pleased to note that each was different. Some large double tester beds, four posters, twin beds, all with lovely lace curtains and that Old South feel. They had the old 60's phones in the rooms, but I am not sure if they worked. Ours was not plugged in and I had not the need to test it out. To see the rooms, please do look at the website as they have all the information there and much better pictures than I could take.

• Related to: Historical Travel, Romantic Travel and Honeymoons, Museum Visits
  • Written November 9, 2010

• Suet profile photo Suet
  • Reviews: 401

In the woods but in comfort: Goodview Cottages

I would DEFINITELY recommend this cabin as it has every thing you could possibly want in a holiday let. You have to pay $75 to have it cleaned after you leave which is worth the price. The only thing I had a bit of concern about was the steep wooden path down to the front door. I can imagine that it would be very slippery in icy or extremely wet conditions.

If you need anything at all, call on Dwayne, the cabin on your left as you look at the cottage. He is a most entertaining and helpful person and knows Becki adn Peck Thomas well.

I spent AGES looking for this place on the web. I was trying to find the perfect place for a three night getaway that was near the Skyline Drive. This lovely little cottage sleep 6 comfortably and is easy to find if you use the Sat Nav. It's right by the lakeside, but high up enough so that you will not get flooded. Your mobile phone works there as does the internet, if you cannot bear to leave the lap top at home. They have fishing rods you can use plus all the amenities indicated in the website. There is a boat and a lovely deck area where you can sit outside and enjoy nature. If bugs bother you, there is an enclosed screened hut so that you can sit outside and talk in comfort.

The website gives you all the information, so please look at it carefully and contact Becky if you want to book or indeed have any problems at all. You can easily see if the week or days you want is booked by looking at the calendar. Do make sure you aske for sheets and towels and if you want to using the washing machine, make sure you bring detergent. Same for the dishwasher.

• Related to: Hiking and Walking, Sailing and Boating, Fishing
  • Written November 9, 2010

• oceanmmi profile photo oceanmmi
  • Reviews: 2

1 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Holiday Inn express Hotel and Suites Exmore: Exmore Virginia Hotel

We needed to make our trip to the Outer Banks in NC a 2 day drive instead of one. We decided to stay in this Holiday Inn as it was a convenient place to stop. We got a later start than we wanted and hit traffic, so checked into the hotel late (around 11:30 PM). When we pulled into the parking lot, there was a tailgate party going on at the end of the lot. Load music, people drinking..etc. The hotel was not as clean as it should have been. The pool was GREEN ! Our room bathroom clogged up and the bathrooms in the main lobby were overflowing with garbage and dirty. I could not wait to leave this hotel.

I did complain to a person at the front desk (the manager was on vacation) and she did take off 20 dollars on my nightly rate, but still was NOT worth the price we paid !

• Related to: Road Trip, Budget Travel, Family Travel
  • Written August 9, 2010

Sleep Inn ~ Harrisonburg: Good Location ~ Great Value

As We've now stayed in several locations at Sleep Inns and even though this is a chain hotel and many people do not like chain hotels, we've found they offer a great value and usually a great room for a night or so. This particular Sleep Inn, although not quite as nice as some of the updated ones, offered a very comfortable and spacious room, nicely decorated with large flat screen TV, phone, desk and comfy chair. Also, we had the added advantage of a convenient mini-fridge and coffeemaker with a small supply of coffee, creamer, sugar and cups provided.

The bathroom had plenty of towels and hot water and Sleep Inns always supply 2 bars of soap, shampoo and conditioner. Often the front desk has shower caps, toothbrushes, and a small tube of toothpaste in case you've forgotten yours.

As is standard, Sleep Inns offer free "continental" breakfast which actually provides more than just the standard coffee and rolls -- you'll usually find fresh fruit, cereals, juice, yogurt, coffee/tea, Danish pastry, muffins, bagels, and sometimes hardboiled & scrambled eggs, make-your-own waffles, sausage, etc. Complimentary coffee and tea are offered all day long in the breakfast area.
This particular hotel also had several restaurants with a short walking distance.

Booking online in advance will garner you the best price for rooms at the Sleep Inn but these excellent rates are on non-changeable and non-refundable reservations. Otherwise, if you are a senior or have AAA (American Automobile Association) membership, you will still see a good savings off the regular rate. We only stayed at this Sleep Inn for one night as we were visiting a local college, but we would definitely stay here again if we ever visited Harrisonburg.

• Written November 26, 2009

Nicely appointed room with 2 doubles

2 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Sleep Inn Historic Williamsburg: Sleep Inn ~ Could Have Been Better

Based on the good experience we had staying at a Sleep Inn in State College, PA, and the extremely reasonable, summertime nightly rate, I booked one night at this Sleep Inn in Williamsburg. Unfortunately while our room in State College exceeded our expectations, the one in Williamsburg was really disappointing.

Located behind a restaurant, the hotel had a decent location and plenty of free parking. I quickly noticed the hotel lobby and breakfast room were in need of redecoration that was not my main concern. Our 1st floor room was spacious enough and adequately furnished, BUT there was a damp feeling to the room possibly because of the air-conditioner--the carpet and the sheets all felt damp. We took a walk so as not to have to spend much time in the room. Thankfully, the TV worked fine, there was an in-room mini-fridge. This came in handy has we had packed our own soda, snacks but there was a soda and ice-dispensing maching just down the hall if needed. I enjoyed the unlimited hot water for showers and good towels provided.

The breakfast, which was included in the room price, was somewhat better than just adequate. Hot & cold cereals, yogurt, Danish pastries, biscuits & sausage gravy, waffles, bagels, coffee, tea & juices, etc., were self serve and enough to start the day with and appreciated thanks to our limited budget.

Things that bothered me most were that at check-in, the hotel clerk was on a personal phone call and didn't wait on us right away; the mattress was way too soft and there were no queen-size beds available.

There was no aspect of this hotel that was noteworthy other than the extremely reasonable price. If a hotel with a similar room rate was available, I most probably would not book this hotel again.

• Written November 26, 2009

Sleep Inn Double Room at Sleep Inn ~ Williamsburg

• JaquelHenry profile photo JaquelHenry
  • Reviews: 1

WOOD RUFF INNS: victorian inn bed and breakfast

hi,
The Woodruff House, located in Luray, VA, is the original bed and breakfast to Woodruff Inns and Shenandoah River Escapes. Guests are instantly charmed by the romantic ambiance of this French Country Victorian. From the elegant ladies parlor and gentlemen’s drawing room, to the rustic beauty of the Rooftop Suite, The Woodruff House has a cozy elegance that can’t be found anywhere but at this Shenandoah Valley getaway.

In addition to our very private and romantic Rooftop Suite, The Woodruff House offers guests a choice of three Executive Rooms (The Johnson Room, Leisure Room, and Dorothy’s Loft); each one with it’s own distinct personality. All guest rooms offer Jacuzzi tubs, full baths, fireplaces, in room coffee makers, and have access to the onsite hot tub in the rear garden.

• Opinion of Price: least expensive
  • Related to: Luxury Travel, Romantic Travel and Honeymoons
  • Written August 13, 2009

• nickolasandsara profile photo nickolasandsara
  • Reviews: 20

2 out of 5 starsUser Rating

America's Best Value Inn: America's Worst Value Inn

Very unfriendly staff. Nice indoor pool. Several different hotel buildings, but the office is far away. Parking lot is difficult to drive through. Maid service always forgot to bring fresh coffee and never washed out the coffee pot. Beds were very uncomfortable and needed new mattresses.

• Related to: Budget Travel
  • Written May 27, 2009

• Faiza-Ifrah profile photo Faiza-Ifrah
  • Reviews: 616

Woodstone at Massanutten: America's rated one of the best resort

We stayed in Woodstone Resort. The resort apartment given to us had a master bedroom with attached bath, another bedroom, a living room with full kitchen, a common bathroom with Jacuzzi, and all other amenities associated with luxury accommodations. The interior décor was awesome. This is what we wanted. A facility like this rejuvenated us after day long adventure of any nature.

The Resort was located close to all the attractions of the Massanutten mountain and provided an easy access to Shenandoah National Park through Route 33 entrance to it.

Enough parking space was available. Outside, the resort apartment provided beautiful views of the landscape.

Golfers can enjoy an 18 hole, PGA rated or an 18 hole Executive golf course. Also available on site are swimming pools, a gymnasium, racquetball courts, exercise equipment, steam room, sauna, massage services, tennis courts, and children programmes.

• Related to: National/State Park, Family Travel, Spa and Resort
  • Written July 25, 2008

Interior (Living room)

• Faiza-Ifrah profile photo Faiza-Ifrah
  • Reviews: 616

Hotels and Inns in Front Royal: A town with all tourist amenities

For exploring Shenandoah National Park, my recommendation will be to stay in a hotel or an inn in Front Royal.

For details on this historic town, please refer to the pages by Tom_Fields.

The advantages of staying in Front Royal are many: For one, the town serves as a northern entrance to the park. You can start your travel on the Skyline Drive from northern entrance all the way to southern exit in one day and return by taking I81 back. Secondly, if you are stationed here, you can take another day long excursion to Washington, DC. The town itself has all amenities required by the tourists.

• Related to: National/State Park, Historical Travel, Family Travel
  • Written July 25, 2008

Northern entrance of Shenandoah National Park

• donnsin profile photo donnsin
  • Reviews: 3

VA BEACH-SURFSIDE (26TH ST): viginias best beach fron hotel

it was great because you can actually enjoy and appreciate Virginia better when your near the beach. and you'll experience Virginia like you never experienced it before. were from the Philippines so we loved beaches and water sports.

it cost quite alot but it was all worth it the beach front hotel, the service, the great view. you cant ask for more. they recommended us everything including restaurants and water sports and places to go shopping. and you can rent transportation from the hotel.

• Related to: Spa and Resort, Water Sports, Romantic Travel and Honeymoons
  • Written July 10, 2008

• pcg821 profile photo pcg821
  • Reviews: 30

Comfort Inn Blacksburg: Good hotel near campus

Hotel is within 2 miles Virgina Tech campus.Rooms were clean and we had no problems during our stay there.Free continental breakfast with waffle's ,muffins ,fruit and pastries. High speed internet in room free of charge.Great rates when it not football season,or parents weekend.Would and will stay there again on next visit to campus.Near shopping and restaurants.

Basic hotel,has a pool but we visited in February.During football season hotels are triple of what I paid in off season.

• Written July 15, 2007

• kirstenohrazda profile photo kirstenohrazda
  • Reviews: 8

1 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Motel 8: All they have is Motel 8?

I suggest to just visit that place don't actually live there! It is a flash back to the 1800's! Great if you like history bad if you want to be in the 20th century! Bad Weather except fall and hurricanes are prone to happen. People are not friendly and nothing really to do except fish and visit historic places which after awhile you get really bored! No nightlife what so ever, and no shopping expectations either.

People are allowed to smoke anywhere in shops, schools anywhere. There is no ban on smoking? So if you like the casino atmosphere of polution in the air then you have come to the right place. There are however beautiful pine trees and long roads with many potholes to look at? If you like that sort of thing? Good luck!

Flashback to the old days with old ways and old laws! It is still a Common Wealth state that should say it all!

• Opinion of Price: least expensive
  • Written March 9, 2007

• mtncorg profile photo mtncorg
  • Reviews: 3488

RICHARD JOHNSON INN: OLD WORLD ELEGANCE

You can stay a lot cheaper - and let me say the Richard Johnston is not that expensive! - out by I 95. You give up extraordinary ambiance, however, not only from the wonderful restored downtown section fo Fredericksburg - you can walk to most of the tips in town that I have presented - but from the colonial-civil war atmosphere that the Inn is steeped in. Bonnie De Lelys is your most gracious hostess, with her two small schnauzers. Breakfasts are lush and it is such a great environment that makes it easy to slip back in time, something that Fredericksburg encourages.

• Opinion of Price: more expensive than average