Virginia Hotels

Our Members Say

4 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Super 8 Harrisonburg: Southern hospitality under $50!

I was very satisfied about my stay in this motel. We were welcome with real southern hospitality. The guy at the front desk gave us key to two different rooms we to choose one. When we came back he gave us numerous leaflets about attractions of Shenandoah Valley and after a nice chat he welcomed us for coffee and cake to the lobby. Being a bit tired and having some work to do we gently refused. But when I got to know that they offered wireless internet I came back with my laptop asking for help as it didn't work. Well, my Polish version of Windows was a problem for that guy but he called someone and explained me that my old type laptop had no wireless card. He advised me to buy one in Radio Shack and offered me to use his desktop.

The motel is very conveniently located just off I-81 close to shopping and restaurants (Waffle House). Our room was very clean and well equipped as for that price category. We had refrigerator and microwave oven in room. The building is still a fairly new that's a plus also.

The only inconvinience for me was that they had no smoking rooms. Well, I surely can accept it but interior corridor forced me to walk quite far to smoke.

Convinient location and easy access.
Very helpful front desk staff.
Good continental breakfast.
Enough large and clean room with microwave oven and refrigerator.
Reasonable price.

I found discount coupon of this motel in the book I took from Virginia Welcome Center. With that coupon we paid only $49.74 incl. tax. Next door Holiday Inn Express cost over twice more.

• Related to: Road Trip, Business Travel, Budget Travel

SUPER 8 MOTEL, HARRISONBURG

4 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Hyatt Regency Crystal City: Arlington - Fancy hotel for $80!

LOCATION
The hotel is conveniently located for visitors arriving to Ronald Reagan Washington National Airport (DCA) and for driving visitors, just off Jefferson Davis Hwy (US-1) at southern edge of Crystal City. But it's a little bit far from shopping, entertainment (pubs), the center of Crystal City and from its restaurants as well. The metro station is a little bit far, approx. 20 min. walk (in empty but safe sidewalks at late evening). They offer a free shuttle both to Crystal City metro station and to the airport (DCA).

EXTERIOR AND STAFF
The exterior of the hotel was rather ugly - just a huge, tall building although the entrance with blooming flowers looked nice. The glass external elevator looked nice exclusively at night. The service at the lobby was great: competetive, fast and helpful. But when I called to the reception for extra coffee to my room I had to wait an exceptionally long time.

ROOM
Our room was spacious, sterile clean, nice designed with fancy bathroom and over-average equippment I didn't need (I need only clean, nice looking room with Weather Channel on TV, many wall plugs for my equipment, good light to read and a coffee-maker for morning coffee :-). I remember pure white wrapper lying on my bed when I entered the room. The only small incovenience was poor lighting made it hard to read small fonts in a bed but it worked well at the desk. I might expect poor lighting and no internet access in budget hotels (and I even had internet access in some of those). However, as much this room normally costs, you would think the lighting would be better and the internet access would be universal. At this hotel, the wireless access covered only the lower floors.

THE LOBBY
The impressive tall and nice designed lobby with external glass elevator to the top is nothing unique but, anyhow, is part of my foudest memories.

TIPPING
I had to tip a valet parking attendant and a guy who carried our luggage. To be honest I don't like to pay tips :-) for two reasons:
- surely because it eats into the money I set aside for sightseeing and eating at places better than, say, McDonald's
- I always feel confused and never know whether I paid too much or too little (exception: restaurants in the USA where I paid approx. 15% for common good service). In poorer countries, I visited, it worked better as I easily realized that my money was much needed to help those folks I tipped to earn a living, and they looked so happy when I tipped them. In the USA, a country where they tip a lot and on more occasions, I simply followed counsel of my friends and travel guides and hardly paid tips in restaurants.

In Hyatt Regency I asked Kathy how much to tip but she asked me the same. I paid both times $5 and I have no idea whether it was enough or not. Later on, at Dulles airport, I discretly asked Nat how much to tip a guy who carried our luggage and, he made me laugh. He immediately and simply asked the guy how much to tip him. He replied that it depends on me. And I gave him all my last notes and coins (one pound :-) The reason Nat didn't know is because he travels so lightly, he never has to depend on anyone else to carry his bags.

PRICE
Before our trip to the USA Kathy (Kodi01) found and booked a room with two king size beds in this hotel on Priceline for only about $80 with a tax and without breakfast. Unbelievable! The regular price was over $200. Add tips and parking fee (I paid $8 per day). Now, I want to have instant internet access through my laptop during my next US trip or internet in a car, a dream haha.

SUMMARY
Despite some inscoveniences I was very satisfied about this hotel but I would never, ever spent over $200 per one night there.

• Opinion of Price: less expensive than average
  • Related to: Road Trip, Budget Travel, Business Travel
  • Written October 6, 2006

5 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Sheraton National Hotel: Arlington - Great price, location and views!

THE LEAST EXPENSIVE
Before our trip to the USA Chris (balfor) from Atlanta found and book a room in this hotel on Priceline for only about $70 with a tax and without breakfast and parking fee. We all (my wife, Kathy, Chris, Nat and I) shared one room and cost. So, unexpectadly it was our least expensive accommodation in the USA we ever had and the best hotel as well. Unbelievable! Just in case... the room for 4 normally goes for more than $150. I want to have internet in my car while driving around the USA :-).

ROOM
Our room 425 was spacious, surely clean and very nice like the bathroom. Only the washbasin was too small for VT-gang or rather all that beer and wine we wanted to cold with ice (very efficient ice vending machine was in the hall). Well, it was designed for washing hands... The view over the window was on opposite direction to the Pentagon and Washington, DC :-(. Anyway, I was very, very satisfied about the hotel.

VIEWS
The hotel stands alone as the tallest building in this area. The views over the Pentagon, Washington, DC and Crystal City are spectacular. I am sure you watched it on TV as the hotel was occupied by journalists after terrorist attack over the Pentagon as the only hotel with such view.

On 16th floor there was a ballroom with a few tables put outside, when we continued our VT-meeting till late night enjoying breathtaking views over Pentagon and Washington DC. There is also nice although small indoor heated pool with a bird eye view towards the Pentagon, Crystal City and Washington, DC. Add well equipped fitness center. Both open 24h.

Free shuttle service to Pentagon City metro station every half an hour (to Reagan National Airport as well).

• Related to: Business Travel, Budget Travel, Road Trip

LOBBY OF SHERATON NATIONAL HOTEL, ARLINGTON

Days Inn Washington Arlington: Arlington - Good choice for budget travelers

Nat (b1bob) recommended this motel to my wife and me for the first night on American soil of our second USA trip as sufficiently good and the least expensive as for this area.

So, I made a reservation in Poland through internet. From Dulles International Airport located 23 mi (40 min.) west of the motel I got a taxi which cost about $40.00 but I didn't have to pay it as my airlines KLM/Northwest which delayed my flights and lost my luggage paid for it. Finally, we arrived here dog tired with no change of clothing, after over 30 hours jorney from Tychy, Poland.

A young guy at the reception desk was waiting for us, he desperately tried to pronaunce correctly my surname :-). I called to the motel a few hours earlier from Detroit to make sure that my reservation was still good even though we would be very late. He was very friendly, offering us coffee and a snack when we got there, gave us map and info on Washington and Arlington. Well, it was small thing but very nice after uncomfortably long travel. With no clean clothes in which to change, we had to wash what we had on lest we smell like rubbish. We had to dry them using the air-conditioner. Luckily they were dry in the morning.

I have stayed at Days Inn a few times before. They are simple and of varying quality, sometimes (rarely) not very clean. This one was perfectly clean.

ROOM
There is cable TV (Weather Channel for me), hairdryer, phone with data port but no coffee/tea in a room. The room and the bathroom, I stayed, was small with rather old furniture, the bed for two was not that large as in most other US motels. Warning: it was difficult to mix hot and cold water in a shower. But, anyway, for budget travelers for 1-3 nights (just to sleep) it's a good choice.

PRICE AND RESERVATIONS
As the motel is very popular, I do recommend to book a room in advance. I paid (tax included): $82.69 the first time (reservation by internet from Poland) and $74.42 the second time when I made reservation by phone at midday of the day of my arrival. I paid less but I had to give my card number by phone, was it secure? I called free +1 (800) 555-1212 - it's the number of information on accommodations and booking service in the USA. Alternatively you can call free (from the USA/Canada) to Days Inn: +1 (800) 329-7466 or in Spanish +1 (888) 709-4024 or directly to the motel (toll number). Kids under 17 stay for free in parent's room.

Warning: there are 2 Days Inn motels in Arlington, choose that one on Arlington Blvd. and remember that you can cancel the reservation 24hrs prior to 4pm, later your credit card will be charged.

BREAKFAST
There is no breakfast included at the price. Free coffee is available 24 hours in a lobby. Beverages and snacks are available at vending machines. There is Rudy's Bar at place which serves good breakfast at average price.

SHUTTLE SERVICE TO METRO
The motel offers a shuttle (a van) to & from Rosslyn Metro Station in Arlington (below 10 min.) which we used to get to Ronald Reagan National Airport (to rent a car there). The shuttle goes every exact hour from 7.00 am to 8.00 pm except 1.00 and 2.00 pm.

• Related to: Road Trip, Business Travel, Budget Travel

DAYS INN WASHINGTON ARLINGTON

Courtyard Dulles Town Center: Courtyard Dulles Town Center

Since I went up to Loudoun County in northern Virginia with a group of young campaign volunteers, I expected the accommodations to be more spartan than the Courtyard by Marriott. However, I was pleasantly surprised on entering the marble lobby. The rooms were spacious and comfortable. I have no complaints about my stay here as far as the hotel goes.

The Courtyard by Marriott Dulles Town Center is just 5 miles (8 km.) from Dulles International Airport and offers a free airport shuttle from 6 am to midnight daily (guest to call for pickup). This hotel is within walking distance of Dulles Town Center Mall, and includes a marble lobby.

Two of the amenities that stand out are the in-house restaurant open mainly at breakfast and free high-speed internet access, which allowed me to stay in touch with friends and print directions around often-confusing Northern Virginia while I was out of town on a bye election campaign in January, 2006.

• Related to: Business Travel, Family Travel
  • Written January 30, 2006

Courtyard by Marriott Dulles Town Center

• MURRA profile photo MURRA
  • Reviews: 137

5 out of 5 starsUser Rating

cherokee 'trail of tears: smokey mountains georgia

here are two places one is at south end of blue ridge skyway in tennesee and secont is a swiss style village in virginia .both towns are mountain spas

staying in the mountains is like the adirondaks excellent atmosphere

• Written December 10, 2003

• tompt profile photo tompt
  • Reviews: 2523

Best Western Staunton Inn: Next to Mrs Rowes

Just off the Blue Ridge Parkway we encountered this Inn in Staunton. It is located next to a family restaurant (Mrs Rowes) that exists since 1947.
But better yet it is also next to Christmas shop and museum !!

Rooms and complimetairy continental breakfast were good.

• Written November 14, 2003

• tompt profile photo tompt
  • Reviews: 2523

Quality Inn Waynesboro: At the start of the Parkway

As we travelled the Skyline Drive and the Blue Ridge Parkway this Inn was very convienient located. The rooms were OK. And they had free continental breakfast.

The town of Waynesboro was not so special at all. At least what we found. No special memories there.....

• Written November 13, 2003

• TropicGirl77 profile photo TropicGirl77
  • Reviews: 254

Days Inn: Days Inn, close to Luray Caverns

This hotel provides a quiet atmosphere, great for getting away from the rat race out there. We selected this hotel because it was adequate for our needs that night ... inexpensive, and close to the caverns we intended on visiting the next morning. The morning staff was especially friendly, but even at check-in, we felt welcomed.

Just a very quiet atmosphere, which was great!

• Related to: Family Travel, Budget Travel, Road Trip
  • Written February 28, 2003

• Pawtuxet profile photo Pawtuxet
  • Reviews: 1613

Accomodations in & outside of colonial village

We stayed in a hotel about a mile or two from the colonial village. There are many in the area...as well as a few wonderful places within the village itself. Depends on how "immersed" you wish to be, and how much money you are willing to spend. You can go on line to find plenty of choices.

• Opinion of Price: N/A
  • Written November 14, 2002

5 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Rent a cottage.: Weekends and holidays at "the river"

As I alluded to in the introduction, people in Richmond, the Washington DC suburbs, and Tidewater often own or rent weekend getaways in the less populated Middle Peninsula and Northern Neck. We did that for my very first holiday from 5-10 July, 1971, renting a cottage along the Rappahannock River at Bowler's Wharf, Virginia.

Although I was only 2 years old, I remember it was a good sized white house and there was a great view of the river. There are many cottages for rent all along the Rappahannock and Potomac Rivers. Ring a local realtor for more information.

• Written October 4, 2002

The cottage we rented at my first trip in 1971

Graves Mountain Lodge: Ideal place to go in the autumn

The views here are extraordinary. I went with my church youth group in June, 1982, and the views were spectacular then. But they tell me that when the leaves turn in the autumn, it is even better.

• Written September 6, 2002

• Pamela_Peace profile photo Pamela_Peace
  • Reviews: 325

The Homestead possesses all...

The Homestead possesses all the Southern charm expected in our part of the country.

Enjoy tea in the afternoon in the spacious reception, or there are a couple of smaller more intimate sitting rooms nearby. The air is full of jasmine and magnolia, the service is prompt yet reserved, I think I just saw Rhett Butler stroll by!

• Written September 2, 2002
Tip Photo

• cra-c-kree profile photo cra-c-kree
  • Reviews: 16
Campground (probably except...

Campground (probably except winter). Almost any campground is like a little peace of paradise.

Beautiful campsites, lakes, ponds, forests, nice people, pure nature

• Written August 26, 2002

• louise1928 profile photo louise1928
  • Reviews: 24

Marriott Manor Club

Wonderful...

Marriott Manor Club

Wonderful timeshare resort, and although we were there on a promotional offer given to us by Marriott, we were not hassled at all to buy, which made our vacation just that much more enjoyable!!!!

The 1 bedroom villas are lovely! Our villa was decorated with semi-colonial, and modern furnishings.
There was a full kitchen, washer/dryer, full size bath with whirlpool tub, and baclony overlooking the woods..Very Nice!!! Great pools, beautiful setting, with golf courses nearby...The homes that sit in and around the resort, are to die for!!!

• Opinion of Price: