599 Main St, Kilmarnock, VA 22482
Orbitz.com Booking.com Hotels.com

Satisfaction Average

More about Kilmarnock

Oyster Plate Display at Kilmarnock Antique GalleryOyster Plate Display at Kilmarnock Antique Gallery

Leftover lasagnaLeftover lasagna

Sunset from the marina 2001Sunset from the marina 2001

Approach to the marinaApproach to the marina

Travel Tips for Kilmarnock

Northern Neck

by grandmaR

According to the Kilmarnock town website http://www.northernneck.com/kilmarnock/ :

"Kilmarnock is the commercial trade center of Virginia's Northern Neck"

The population is less than 1,300 people. It is a small town. There are only two traffic lights. It is named after town in Scotland.

Well-known (!!) residents have included Henrietta Hall, first American woman to go to China as a missionary

Nearby parks and recreation: Belle Isle State Park, Bush Mill Stream Natural Area Preserve, Hughlett Point Natural Area Preserve There is a museum in Kilmarnock.

Unfortunately the only time I've been has been in a car being driving by a non-family member, and it was too dark to take photos out the car window. But my fondest memories are of eating there.

Private Indian Creek Country Club

by grandmaR

As we left Kilmarnock, I thought I saw what might be a golf course on the shore of the creek. And when I looked it up, I found that there actually IS a private golf course on the shores of Indian Creek.

The golfing website (below) says:

This flat course is located alongside the Chesapeake Bay, which comes into play on five holes. The small greens are hard to read, and the fairways are narrow.

Par Yardage Course Rating Slope
White 70 5682 67.3 119
Gold 70 5039 63.7 107
Red 70 4882 67.4 104

Green fees - $20 - 49

18 holes Built in 1955 Greens: Bent Grass Fairways: Bermuda Grass
Dress code: No denim, collared shirt required
Season: Open all year Guest Policy: Closed

ICW Trip 2001 Leg2-Weathered In in Kilmarnock

by grandmaR

"October 24-25 2001 Chesapeake Bay Boat Basin"

From Ridge, MD:

October 24: We bypassed the Great Wicomico where we anchored last year to go up Indian Creek off Fleets Bay to the Chesapeake Boat Basin.

We are on the T head (along the end of the dock and not in a slip). The bathrooms/showers are sparkling clean and newly decorated. There is a lounge with cable TV and an internet connection and a marine store. We got a ride into town to Jimmie’s Café in Kilmarnock for dinner - I had the pork chip special and it was almost 3" thick, and Bob had fried oysters. Max and Lucette had crab cakes.
-----

October 25: We expected a front to come through Thursday with strong winds. It did. We had gusts up to 29 knots at the boat, and Indian Creek is very protected. We didn't have any waves there. We heard all kinds of people (on the VHF radio) having trouble out in the bay including a guy who was sawing through his anchor chain. For dinner, we tried to get an Italian place to come for us, but the girl was new and had an attitude. So we went back to Jimmie’s Café and Bob had shrimp and I had swordfish.

"October 26-27, 2001"

We are still here. Our depth sounder wasn't working, and we consider that pretty important. I thought it would be clear enough (sun and clear water) so I could freedive and see if it had barnacles. However, I thought it was too cold to go in without a wetsuit (water temp about 66 deg F). I found I couldn't get down under the boat with the wetsuit on because I was too buoyant. So Bob got out the scuba gear (putting it on was like a Keystone Cops routine - I did it in the dinghy) . I worked my way down the keel of the boat from the bow (I still couldn't get down even with a weight belt) and found the transducer and scraped all but one stubborn barnacle off. Bob went up to check the depth sounder while I scraped off the prop. It still wasn't working, so I went down the keel again, missed it and went almost all the way to the stern, came back and chipped the last barnacle off. I used 1000 lbs of air. Bob discovered that the depth sounder had another problem - instead of the wires screwing into a socket they were just taped together. The marina store had the materials to fix it. While we were doing this, Max and Lucette biked into town. They discovered it was uphill all the way. There is a museum in town which is supposed to be interesting but they didn't go. We heard many people in trouble on the radio, and the CG asked one of them if he had flares, so Bob looked at ours and found they were expiring next month. He was able to replace these too with ones that are good until 2004. Bob grilled salmon and we had salad, new potatoes and green beans for dinner.
-----

October 27: Winds were supposed to abate today, and they didn’t. We sat around listening to the VHF and watching the TV in the boater’s lounge. Max and Lucette went into town and got pizza for dinner.

Gloucester Point on Sarah Creek off the York River

Overcoming the Obstacles - Going Home 2004

by grandmaR

0817 - A big power boat passed and also NORTH WIND.

I think part of the reason for my nausea this morning is that I am nervous about the weather because thunderstorms are predicted this afternoon. And Bob does not want to go in anywhere to stop early - he is anxious to get home. So am I - otherwise I will run out of some of my prescriptions. We are very late returning this year.

1134 New Point Comfort light is abeam in the mist. I've been to the bathroom several times, and put on my winter coat. Bob is sitting on the sunny side and it is warm with the curtains down. We are motor sailing with all the sails up and have done about 31 nm

We are making good time, and we might be able to get to Indian Creek after all.

"Last Stop in Kilmarnock"

We HAVE managed to get all the way to Indian Creek.

1629 We tie up at the Chesapeake Bay Boat Basin quite late (they've waited for us) after a longish trip of 59.2 nm with an average speed of 6.1 knots.

Previously when we have been here, there has been an email/phone line in the boater's lounge. No longer there - when they remodeled after Hurricane Isabel they put the line in the new office (which used to be next door and is across the road now) and did not reinstall this line. So I go up to the office just before closing and semi-straightened out email.

In the past, CBB has taken us out to a restaurant for dinner. I was looking forward to this because we have almost no provisions left and both of us are tired and don't feel like cooking. But it is not to be. The restaurant that they usually took us to is closed.

George brings me a phone book. The options are Paul's Pub, Pizza Hut, Lees or Sals. Pauls has and answering machine on their phone. Sal's doesn't deliver, and I don't think I can walk to Lees as it is over a mile. So I order a meatball sub and lasgna from Sal's ($13.02) and George runs Bob into town to get it. The food isn't very good.

Later that night, I walked up to the bathroom and in the dark I stepped off a concrete step that I didn't see and fell heavily. It knocked the wind out of me, and I skinned my right knee through my pants. My knee was sore for six weeks.

I did get FOX news and watched the local weather for tomorrow.

"May 2, 2004"

Pushed away from the pier at about 0720. This time I didn't run aground going out of the creek (although I understand George did with his boat after he took Bob up to Sal's)

The sun is coming weakly through the clouds. We pass Smith Point at 1019 and I don't even take any pictures of it.

At 1254 we are coming into Smith Creek heading for the marina. I take my last picture before getting down to the business of coming in to the dock.

1320 - We are HOME after a total trip up from Marathon of 1125 nm.

We have to reinstall all the lines on the boat and get it settled in the slip. I can't get the lady who said she would give us a ride home on the phone, and my mom doesn't answer either. But Bob gets the Lynx that we left at the marina started, and so we get back to the house.

Comments