Best Western Intown of Luray

BAND PHOTOBAND PHOTO

Travel Tips for Luray

Luray Murals

by gipper84

What surprised me the most about my trip to Luray was walking down the street and suddenly finding a mural on a wall. Normally, you would find murals like this in the arty sections of larger cities. These murals are done by local artists John Graves and Jennifer Bradt.

The first one Valley Bells can be found on the side of the Chamber of Commerce building. It shows the Singing Tower in the valley in the fall.

The second Story Hour at the Old One Room Schoolhouse is on the side of the Choices building downtown recalls my own memories of story time in school.

The third one is on the wall of the Visitor Center depicts the Norfolk & Western train station in Luray as it appeared in the 1940s. There are more murals in town which I didn't get to see. Hopefully, I will be back and add more.

Diana's Country Diner

by gipper84

Well, this is not really the fondest memory, but more of a cautionary tale. Diana's Country Diner went out of business between the time my family, Jessi, and I were there (July, 2005) and the time I put up this page. The food was okay, but not great. I had the fried chicken and potato wedges (what I get a lot at Ukrop's). Being a sit-down restaurant (compared to a deli section at the grocery store) I expected it to be some better, but it really wasn't. Not only that, the service was very inattentive. I had to practically beg for sweet tea. Worse than that, it wasn't as clean as I expect my restaurants to be. I can't say I was completely surprised because my friend researched reviews for this restaurant on the travel site and found these same complaints. I also wasn't surprised when my own research showed that Diana's closed down. Good riddance! Maybe it would still be open with friendlier service and a scrub here and there.

Luray Caverns

by windoweb

Luray Caverns - The largest and most popular caverns in the EAST. Natural Landmark, noted for its profuse variety of formations and unsurpassed natural color. From well-lighted, paved walkways, explore cathedral-sized rooms with ceilings 10 stories high - filled with towering stone columns and crystal-clear pools. Also, hear the haunting sounds of the world's only Stalacpipe Organ.

My parking guard

by matcrazy1

While in some national parks in northern Arizona and Utah we were welcomed by single, large black birds (probably Common Ravens) begging for food in a parking lot, in Luray our welcoming animal was that duck in my picture. We fed him with some bread and when we came back to our car he still was waiting for the next portion.

The oldest car (German Benz 1892!)

by matcrazy1

Benz from 1892 is one of the oldest automobiles on display in the USA and top highlight of the Car & Carriage Caravan Museum. It was one of the very first cars produced in any quantity for resale. It has single cylinder, water-cooled, gasoline engine of 5 horse power and referring to the information given in the museum the automobile is still in operating condition. Well, I would rather call this early automobile a horseless or engine-powered carriage. Did you know that drivers of that vehicle had to stop at every pharmacy on the way to buy gasoline which was available only from pharmacies that sold it as a cleaning product, and they didn't stock it in large quantities.

These cars were manufactured in Mannheim, Germany by Benz & Company Rheinische Gasmotoren-Fabrik, usually referred to as Benz & Cie. In the beginning it was a bicycle repair shop. Then they produced industrial machines and gas engines, finally automobiles. It was the largest automobile company in the world with 572 units produced in 1899.

The first ever "automobile fueled by gas" - a three-wheeler - was created by Karl Benz in 1985 and patented in 1986, six years before the car displayed in Luray was produced. American Henry Ford had an engine running by 1893 but it was 1896 before he built his first car. Well, Americans were focused on steam powered cars; the early ones looked like miniature locomotives. However in 1888 William Steinway, owner of Steinway & Sons piano factory, made a deal with Karl Benz and founded the Daimler Motor Company which by 1891 produced petrol engines in a plant in Hartford, Connecticut.

Comments