Piney Hill Bed & Breakfast

1048 Piney Hill Road, Luray, Virginia, 22835, United States

• A Perfect INN with Perfect Hosts

I'm happy to join everyone else in singing the praises of Piney Hill and its hosts, Wiley and Hank. The inn is beautiful, the location is spectacular, the breakfasts are delicious, and the hosts are like old friends. We stayed for 3 nights and could easily have made it 3 weeks. They'll help you plan everything from trips to the park to vineyard tours to dinner out. Not only do the hosts have an amazing attention to detail, they welcome people into their home as if they've known them for years. There was a huge storm on our second night and the power was out until the following morning. Hank and Wiley went to great lengths to make sure the guests were comfortable and managed to pull off one of the best breakfasts of our stay following a night of very little sleep and no power. Truly remarkable. We had a fantastic time at Piney Hill and we will absolutely be back.

Unique Quality: Great country location, minutes from town, very personable Innkeepers, delicious breakfasts.

Directions: Beautiful country setting in the Shenandoah Valley of Virginia

• Off the Beaten Luray Path: A Tucked Away Gem!

I knew we were on to something when I found this hidden treasure during a web search for a B & B near Luray, VA, where I wanted to go to see the Caverns. The reviews listed were, without exception, highly favorable of Piney Hill. When I called to make the reservation, Wiley answered the phone. He gave me all the information I requested, asked me if my wife or I had any dietary restrictions, and then e-mailed directions to show me the easiest way to get there. We arrived that evening at around 7:00PM to find ourselves on the front steps of a wonderful, restored, 1800's farmhouse. Piney Hill sits right in the center of a rolling Shenandoah valley landscape with great mountain views in all directions. If I had only one word with which to describe this delightful place, that word would be "Peace". Wiley and Hank, consumate innkeepers that they are, greeted us like old friends. The accomodations are immaculate, fitted out with an eclectic mix of antiques in a soothing color scheme. Our room, the Walter Rogers, offered us a most comfortable bed, private bath and mood fireplace. Certainly all the elements are present for a most romantic evening if one is in that frame of mind! The bathroom has plenty of fluffy towels, soaps and shampoos, terry bathrobes...everything to make your stay here pleasant. Both Hank and Wiley have the knack, developed over the 9 years that they have been in business, I guess, of knowing what a guest needs. If you want to sit around and talk, one of them will be right there with an engaging story. If you would like some privacy and quiet, they seemingly fade away. My wife and I were delighted talking with both of them, hearing about how they found the farm, restored the place ("the front porch was literally collapsing...") and found themselves running a B & B. You will not go wrong by choosing to stay at Piney Hill...and when you leave you will probably, as we did, have made two new friends...Wiley and Hank.

Unique Quality: Views are terrific from almost any spot in the 2 acre yard. There's a hot tub in the back yard, garden paths and statuary, and rocking chairs on the roofed front porch. Traffic on the road in front is nil, so it's a good place to walk, jog or ride a bike. Wiley and Hank have a shelf full of all kinds of movies you can watch in your room. Ask Wiley to see his collections of a) pottery mixing bowls b) creamers c) roosters (he gave up the platters and clocks!). But the real key to this place are the Innkeepers, Wiley and Hank. It is obvious that they love their livelihood, and it shows up in every element of Piney Hill. The grounds are full of beautiful plantings, among which their 4 cats roam and play (Wiley advised me that although they think they can come into the house, they are not allowed). A wooden deck, shaded by a vast willow tree, is a great place to have a glass of wine in the evening or a cup of coffee in the morning. By the way, these guys know how to make a good cup of coffee-no weak, watered down stuff here! For breakfast, besides fruit, fresh orange juice and a nice home-made muffin, Hank came in with an egg casserole worthy of a five star Michelin hotel! Luray and the caverns are close by...don't pass them up. Luray has a lot of antique stores, and the Artisan Cafe is worth the stop for lunch or dinner; they have a killer cheeseburger!

Directions: Call Wiley, and he'll tell you or e-mail you concise directions.

• windoweb's Profile Photo

In the Shenandoah Valley

We are staying in the Emma Ruffner Rogers Room.

Unique Quality: Piney Hill Bed & Breakfast is a 1750's farmhouse nestled in the heart of the Shenandoah Valley of Luray, Virginia. The home is surrounded by rolling hills of farmland and mountain views as far as the eye can see! The wrap around porch, lined with rockers allows you to kick back, relax and enjoy.

Directions: Near Skyline Drive and minutes from the Luray Caverns

More about Piney Hill Bed & Breakfast

Best kept secret

We almost wish that nobdy else would know about this cozy little old-time "heaven-home" nestled in the Virginia mountains! But who can keep it a secret when all we could do is blab about our stay at Piney Hill B & B to everyone we know on our return home?

If rest and relaxation at an old-time, authentic home of yester-year, good eating, and being made to feel like royalty is on your vacation agenda, then you must visit Piney Hill B & B.

Innkeepers Wiley and Hank are masters of hospitality as well as just good "plain-folk".

Can you keep a secret? We couldn't!

Piney Hill B&B is the BEST!!

My husband and I thoroughly enjoyed our stay at Piney Hill B&B. Hank and Wiley are excellent Inn keepers and the location of their farmhouse is perfect, from the beautiful scenery to the outdoor jaccuzi, one could not find a more lovely place to spend a weekend. Thanks, Hank and Wiley - we'll be back!

A wonderful way to spend a wedding anniversary

Recently my wife and I spent the most delightful weekend at Piney Hill. The Innkeepers, the location, and the comfortable accommodations were wonderful. Although our room was so relaxing, the spectacular scenery demanded the you go out to experience nature at its finest. My wife spent some time in the hammock soaking in the breath-taking atmosphere while I played shutter-bug. I WILL highly recommend this B&B to all my family and friends in search of the perfect retreat.

Wonderful! Wonderful! Wonderful!

Even though we stayed with Hank and Wiley in their "little bit of heaven" for only 1 night, adapting back to our daily lives was terribly hard to do. Their beautiful home is set in a picturesque Shenandoah valley among beautiful fields and farms. The house itself is impeccably decorated in a very warm country style, the rooms are cozy and extremely clean, and the lawn and gardens surrounding their home are incredibly beautiful and well maintained. By far and away the best this wonderful B & B has to offer though is hosts Hank & Wiley. Right from the start from when we drove up and they invited us into their workshop to see the latest bit of furniture they were restoring to the heart felt hugs goodbye the next day, they truly are warm, welcoming people who enjoy what they do and will make your stay a truly unforgettable one. Thanks so much and we will see you again!

Perfect weekend getaway

I can not express enough how much we enjoyed our weekend at Piney Hill. We received the weekend as a wedding gift and visited for our one year anniversary. It was just perfect. Hank and Wiley are the most gracious hosts and have created a beautiful, welcoming, and comfortable space. And their breakfasts and cookies are to die for. I'd love to spend every weekend at Piney Hill and highly recommend it to anyone who enjoys getting away and relaxing -- or not relaxing as hiking, tubing, and horsebacking are right nearby (and very fun).

What a great weekend

What a way to spend the weekend and our 10th anniversary. From the first time I spoke to Hank on the phone to make reservations until our last goodbye Sunday morning after breakfast I felt like we had been lifelong friends. Hank and Wiley made us feel totally at home and were there to get us anything we needed but also left us to our privacy as much as we wanted. They continually checked to make sure we knew where to go before we left for an adventure and gave us excellent directions so we never felt lost. They also were more than open, allowing us to bring our motorcycle so we could enjoy the Skyline Drive from the back of a bike.
The house is absolutely beautiful and the grounds/view wonderful and relaxing. The cottage and house were tastefully decorated. I can't even describe how tasty breakfast was each morning (and there was plenty of it). The best part was watching the fireworks for July 4th from the huge rocking chair porch.
We are already planning to make a trip back either in the fall or winter. We also have told many friends about Piney Hill since we returned home. We highly recommend it to anyone wanting to get away to "paradise" without having to travel too far.
Heather and Jeff Barnes

Peace in the Mountains!

Darlene and I arrived at Piney Hill with room reservations in the house where we had stayed about two years ago! We returned because we had enjoyed our first visit so much and brought friends with us to stay!

Upon ringing the bell Wiley met us at the door like we had just returned from dinner! No need to renew friendships here! They had made a number of changes since our last visit which Wiley showed us with the joy of someone who had done the work! Hank came out to greet us as well!

The last new treasure was a new cottage! Upon entering, Darlene fell in love with it! Luck was with us it was available so in we went! What a great place! Tastefully decorated like their house with a lot of nice country touches, antiques, and pictures! A comfortable queen bed, a huge bath and shower, and a kichenette area makes for a comfortable stay. A deck on the back overlooks pastures and Massanutten Mountain. A screened porch on the front provides a nice reading area and protection from the country creeters!

It is a short walk to sit under the Willow Tree to read, enjoy the views, tour the nice gardens, sit on the front porch of the house to look at Skyline Drive and the Blue Ridge Mountains, or to go to the house for one of the delicious breakfasts if you don't want it delivered to the cottage.

The Cottage at Piney Hill is a great place to stay to enjoy the privacy of you own space but with the other benefits of a B&B! Go and enjoy-we did!
John and Darlene