401 West Main Street, Luray, Virginia, 22835, United States

Historic Hotels Expedia.com Hotels.com

• Quaint and Charming

For 70 years, the Mimslyn Inn has been delighting its visitors with the grandeur of its colonial structure, reminiscent of the “Old South”. One of Virginia’s best known grand old country inns, the Mimslyn is where one has the feeling of being transported back to a time when life was less complicated. The atmosphere is Old World but the comforts are of today. This spacious inn has been a long time stopping place for America’s notables and other visiting celebrities.

Unique Quality: A coal-fired steam shovel was brought in from Richmond and excavating for the Mimslyn was started in February of 1930. The brick is oversized tapestry made in Glasgow, VA. The joints are flamingo from Riverton and the slate for the roof was quarried in Buckingham as was the slate for the Shirley and other Virginia plantations. The bathroom tile is from Roanoke. The doors are red gum and redwood in the solarium and were finished with hot linseed oil. The window frames were made on site by a local blacksmith. A pulley-type elevator was used until Ralph Mims found an elevator to his liking. The first Schlage locks in the Luray were used in the Mimslyn. The Mims Material Company provided the material for the Mimslyn construction. J.R. Mims, Sr. designed the winding staircase and supervised its construction. It is an architectural masterpiece.

Directions: From Washington, DC:

Capitol Beltway I-495 to Virginia I-66 West.
    Take I-81 South to New Market Exit #264 towards Luray Caverns.
    Route 211 East

More about The Mimslyn Inn

A touch of class

by gipper84 about Mimslyn Inn

Just the name Mimslyn suggests class. Brunch at the Mimslyn Inn is a real feast complete with a guitar-piano player, big lobby, and giant porch. With all the elegance, you would expect much higher prices. My family, Jessi, and I went here for their Sunday Brunch, which runs from 10:30 am-2:30 pm for $14.95 per person. I had the scrambled eggs, bacon, hash browns, and French toast. There was also link sausage, fresh fruits, and many other things. However, I don't eat like Nat, who probably would have closed them down that Sunday.

What a beautiful hotel!

by TripAdvisor Member scram95

Anyone who has seen The Mimslyn Inn during the past 20 years absolutely MUST go see it again immediately. The new owners have just completed a multi-million dollar restoration of this beautiful building and have done a magnificent job. They have restored The Mimslyn Inn to its 1931 grandeur. I can't imagine that this hotel has looked better since it opened the very first time. Every little detail, nook and cranny was attended to as the hotel was completely redone from basement to rooftop. A wonderful "Speakeasy" bar was added in the basement, complete with a "secret" outside entrance... All of the rooms were completely redone from plumbing to wiring to paint to lighting. The new owners, who also own the Bavarian Inn in Shepherdstown, WV, are sure to win rave reviews for the work they've done. I recently stayed at The Mimslyn Inn and highly recommend it to anyone who wants a taste of history and a feeling of grand 1930's style decadence at an affordable price.

Wonderful Inn

by TripAdvisor Member TammmieLand

We honest to goodness stumbled upon the Mimslyn Inn. What a find it is.

After driving from New Orleans to Massachusettes straight through the week before, we decided to take our time on the drive back.

We decided to visit the Luray Caverns (which were very nice) and so we arrived in Luray in the late evening.

We were travelling with our 2 year old dachsund and after being politely rejected at the Best Western across the street, took our chances and pulled into the Mimslyn. To our utter surprise they were pet friendly. We felt as though we were in a dream.

The grounds are beautiful and yes, they are renovating; however, the staff were very friendly, the room was beautiful. A King sized bed and plasma t.v. Extremely clean as well.

Breakfast in the morning was yummy and Jamie, our waiter, was a dream.

I can't wait to visit another time. I'm so glad that we were rejected at the Best Western.

Ignore any review before the renovation -- this is a NEW INN!

by TripAdvisor Member fbb6wthlv

Before our book club made arrangements to have our annual retreat at the Mimslyn Inn, we knew that they were under renovation, and despite numerous bad reviews in the last few years, we decided to take the chance. Plus, we thought is would be fun to be some of the first guests in the newly renovated historic inn. We all couldn't be happier with our decision; in fact, some of us booked a room for a future visit before we left, and we already decided we would definitely come back.

Everything was terrific, from the help we received booking our rooms, the wonderful welcome we received when we got there, to the use of the beautiful and roomy solarium for our discussions. Based on other reviews, we first thought we might eat at another inn or restaurant, but when we saw the beautiful dining room and looked at the menu, we decided to stay, and again, we were not disappointed. We were treated fabulously, and from the complimentary starter of a fried oyster on a tiny bed of spinach topped with caviar to the extensive wine list to the entrees that we all enjoyed, especially the veal with ham and the filet mignon, everything was perfect. Since the restaurant has only been open for about a month, they are still training some of the waiters, but the manager and other experienced waiters made their way to our table several times to be sure that we were all satisfied.

We were traveling with 8 women, and 2 of us had reserved the only room with 2 double beds. When that room was not yet available, they quickly made sure that we had 2 single rooms with the same rate as we expected to pay. The rooms are clean, elegantly decorated, and although the queen rooms are small (the king rooms are enormous -- 2 of our group had such rooms, and there was a large sitting room in each), they are comfortable, modern, and had a relaxing atmosphere.

Another surprise was the complimentary breakfast. On arrival we received a coupon for a free beverage and $7.50 for breakfast; since most of the breakfast meals were $7.50, it was perfect. The grits were some of the best all of us tasted. They will make the omelette to your liking, and my boursin, mushroom, and sausage omelete was just perfect.

I highly recommend the NEW Mimslyn Inn and know that I will be visiting there again.

Amazing Renovation

by TripAdvisor Member salty511

Wow, what an amazing experience! We were told by a family member in Harrisonburg that we should see the "new" Mimslyn Inn. Well to say the least we were stunned by the renovation. My wife and I stayed there about 3 years ago and said that it was a shame that the hotel was falling apart. Now, however, we are so glad someone has returned this hotel to it's previous state. We also had dinner in the hotel restaurant. Let me just say the dining room is so nice and comfortable! The service was incredible as was the food! Our server was a nice young lady named Jessica and it was only her third shift on the floor by herself. The Dining Manager checked on her progress with us and made sure we were well taken care of. We think his name was Steve or Scott but he made us feel so pampered! Thanks to all the great staff and owners for this incredible experience!

Charmed

by TripAdvisor Member PilgrimMolly

I have stayed at the Mimslyn several times over the past few decades and have been charmed each time. The hotel is not perfect. It has a few years on it and it shows. People who need perfection should go elsewhere.

I love the hotel. Hotels built back in the days it was build, did not have all of the convienences that we expect today. I like being taken back to a different time and enjoying the moment. I have walked the gardens and enjoyed an ice cream cone while in a rocking chair on the grand front porch. The dining room beats any chain restuarant. Althought casual dress is fine, it makes you want to dress up for a special meal.

I love the style at the Mimslyn and will keep going back for more.

A grand old hotel grand once again

by TripAdvisor Member DeanT29

The renovated Mimslyn hotel is simply the nicest hotel in the Shenandoah Valley. The new management has spent millions of dollars upgrading this property, and while the upgrade is still underway as of this writing, it is clear that this is going to be a premier hotel. The restaurant is also very good, specializing in locally grown food. Luray is pretty funky, but this is going to be the hotel to stay in while visiting Shenandoah National Park and the Valley.

Simply put...a poor place to stay.

by TripAdvisor Member Nuck_Chorris

No ice! ("We're renovating...")
No hot water! ("Just let it run for a while...no, a long while...")
No coffee in the room ("We have it at the front desk...")

Poor service, poor groundskeeping, and too many exuses.

Just because you're renovating doesn't mean you can't have the basics!

Simply put...a poor place to stay.

Amen to That

by TripAdvisor Member booklover2DCArea

I am writing to concur with the review of a fellow member of our book club. I am one of the members who booked the large and gorgeous king-size bed suit. The bathroom was luxurious, including the jacuzzi. My sitting area was large enough to invite those not going on the early morning walk to join me in my room for a yoga session.

I'm also looking forward to my return visit after the spa opens to celebrate my wedding anniversary. This will be during the spring and there will be lots of opportunities for landscape photography - something my husband and I enjoy.

Mimslyn InnMimslyn Inn