Buckley Hall Inn

11293 Buckley Hall Road, Po Box 125, Mathews, Virginia, 23109, United States

More about Mathews

Gifts for the Home and GardenGifts for the Home and Garden

Hudgins PharmacyHudgins Pharmacy

Gaynelle in front of the houseGaynelle in front of the house

Winter HarbourWinter Harbour

Travel Tips for Mathews

Richardson's Old Reliable (Rexall) Drug Store

by b1bob

When I saw that Rexall sign, I thought about Moe Bandy's song Americana (with which some of you are familiar) and I next thought about going inside and taking a picture of that soda fountain. On trying to gain entry, I was crestfallen to learn that Richardson's Old Reliable Drug Store (Rexall) closed about 10 years ago despite the prominent signage remaining. However, locals tell me it is planning to re-open, but only as a soda fountain, restored as near as possible to its original condition. I don't have a date for that yet, but it is progressing. I hope it keeps to its traditional appearance instead of going upscale to cater to the come-heres (people from other places who move here). VT member misspaige03 informs me that Richardson's is now open again in Mathews, VA. My friends own it and opened it again two weeks ago (as of mid-October, 2004). They serve ice cream and lunch and they pulled all the recipes from the old Richardson's archives. Next time you're in Mathews County you should stop by- they're cool people! Have fun!

Gaynelle's house

by b1bob

Just south of town, friends of my family- Sammy and Gaynelle own a holiday house right on Winter Harbour in Port Haywood. Finding it is quite the challenge for the outsider, but why have a weekend getaway if you can't get away? Sadly, the house was entirely flooded out by Hurricane Isabel less than two weeks after I visited. Sammy and Gaynelle have told me that they plan to rebuild. Just like Gaynelle's daddy, my neighbour Bob Lamb, Sammy and Gaynelle entertain guests on the back porch.

Market Days Festival

by b1bob

On the weekend right after Labour Day (September), the town of Mathews has held its Market days festival. All of the same elements exist here as in the Virgilina Summerfest (carnival rides, live entertainment, food kiosks, raffles, etc.) However, while the live entertainment left a great deal to be desired, there were more arts and crafts kiosks and there were more choices at the food court- a cluster of tents selling seafood and other things. Although I didn't stay for the dance in the streets, locals tell me that it goes well into the night, unlike in Virgilina where they shut everything down at 9 pm.

Boating in Mathews

by b1bob

Boating is a popular sport for locals living there full time and for folks who own holiday property there. This photo was taken in at Winter Harbour in Port Haywood, just south of the town of Mathews. After hurricane Isabel, the place where I took this snap was under about 8 feet (2.5 m.) of water and Sammy's boat was placed bow down in the ground.

Mathews County VA, USA

by graphixs1

"Mathews County"

Mathews County VA is a very small rural county located on the middle peninsula of Virginia. The county has a nice arts communtiy and some interesting Galleries in town. It is a great place to live as we do not have any traffic lights, high buildings etc. We are surrounded by the waters of the Chesapeake Bay and 7 rivers. Great boating, crabbing and fishing can be done here. There is no public transportation here so a car is a must. It is kind of a off the beaten path type of place. After living in several big cities I really appreciate its quiet, uncrowded roads and friendly people. There are two campgrounds and one Bed and Breakfast. Mathews Market Days is held the first weekend after Labor Day each September. You can browse local artists works and craftsmen. Kids love the small carnival atmosphere.

Comments