7433 Bell Creek Rd, Mechanicsville, VA 23111
Hampton Inn Richmond Mechanicsville
Hotels.com Orbitz.com Expedia.com

More about Mechanicsville

carvings between two panes of glasscarvings between two panes of glass

Carolyn's Fountain @ Westbury PharmacyCarolyn's Fountain @ Westbury Pharmacy

Marty's GrillMarty's Grill

Gyros PlusGyros Plus

Travel Tips for Mechanicsville

Camp Hanover

by b1bob

This is not exactly a fond memoury, but a notable one. Camp Hanover is located in still-rural (for the moment) eastern Hanover County. It opened for the express purpose of hosting church retreats. In late October, 1981, my church youth group went on a retreat here. I wasn't keen on it for two reasons; First, I didn't like all the programming (inside Knox Lodge- pictured) they did with us as opposed to just letting us have fun (I still don't understand the purpose of that at treble the age I was then); Second, the food was the worst I had up that point and I didn't have worse until 3 years later when I tried the cuisine de Buddy's Place in Amelia on the way to Grandma's House. The definition of a retreat is an action to get away from the daily routine. On coming home, I needed a retreat from the retreat.

Windy Knoll Farms

by b1bob

I had trouble deciding whether to put this under "fondest memory" or "shopping". Anyhow, Windy Knoll Farms is a Christmas tree farm in rural Hanover County, just outside of Mechanicsville, Virginia. This isn't just some fly-by-night Christmas tree lot, this is a tree farm. You go there, they lend you a saw, you hop on a tractor-drawn trailer and go out there amongst the trees, pick the one you want, cut it down, stow it on the trailer and ride back with it. As you pay for it in the little white house, they put your Christmas tree in a machine that shakes down all the loose needles. Finally, they wrap it up in a compact mesh bag for easy transport home. After Grandpa Terry died, the Christmas tradition was to celebrate it here rather than in South Boston and Virgilina. So, we would get a live tree. Live trees have their pros and cons. I like the scent of a live tree, but despite the best efforts, needles fall onto the floor and they need to be looked after.

Christmas

by b1bob

This is a typical Christmas tree at my house. Until 1989, we always had Christmas in South Boston or Virgilina. So, there were never any nights here anticipating the arrival of Father Christmas. This photo was taken before many of the presents were wrapped and stowed underneath. We were traditionalists on when to open presents. Some folks did it on Christmas Eve. We waited until 6 or 7 on Christmas morning especially when my brother was into it. Every Christmas since 1989, the family a tradition of making the following breakfast menu:

quiche lorraine (with American ingredients)
hot fruit bake
grits casserole

Recipes to come soon.

Originally, this was the kind of early-morning breakfast my parents would make after they and a bunch of friends would come back from a dance. Mama's old Christmas tradition of having oysters at breakfast fell by the way when she married Daddy whose system couldn't tolerate oysters (apparently, mine can't either).

Some folks in the USA like to have only turkey at Christmas meal and others say it is a holiday for the hams. At my house, all interests are accommodated. Besides that, we have stuffing, green beans seasoned in fat back, parsleyed potatoes, hot rolls, cranberry sauce, and congealed salad.

EATING THE HANOVER TOMATO-HANOVER COUNTY, VIRGINIA

by TEABERRYEAGLE

This is a way to enjoy the "Hanover Tomato".....created by my brother, who has been doing this for many years....he also makes his own "Salt Rising Bread" noted below....the "Salt Rising Bread" will have a distinctive odor but is delicious when eaten.....it is eaten for a snack during the evening of TV-ing or when you desire.......great for sandwiches.

TIP: A. OBTAIN A LOAF OF "SALT RISING" BREAD (OR YOU CAN MAKE YOUR OWN)
B. PLACE SLICE IN TOASTER AND TOAST AS DESIRED
C. FROM THE "HANOVER TOMATO" , SLICE OFF A GENEROUS SLICE
D. SPREAD THE TOASTED SLICE OF BREAD WITH MAYONAISE (OR SALAD DRESSING)
E. PLACE TOMATO ON BREAD SLICE AND "EAT OPEN FACED"

INCLUDED ARE SOME LINKS ABOUT THE BREAD AND TOMATOES.

Southern Pride

by b1bob

Mechanicsville is located on the Battlefield of Cold Harbor, which was fought to a draw in 1864. Because of that, there is no shortage of Southern pride here. For example, I live on Lee-Davis Road named for General Robert E. Lee and Confederate President Jefferson Davis. Four local schools, three of which I attended: Battlefield Park Elementary, Cold Harbor Elementary School, Stonewall Jackson Middle, and Lee-Davis High Schools are all named in keeping with commemoration of the battle. In other jurisdictions, local leaders have caved in to loud demands to change the names, thus sweeping history under the carpet. No such move has been made here and, if it were tried, I have faith that my fellow Hanoverians would laugh in their face. Even on private properties, despite the influx of come-heres from all over, Confederate flag displays around here aren't rare. We don't hide our Southern pride.

The Sons of Confederate veterans are a group that seeks to preserve the history of the War for Southern Independence. They always put up a tent at the Hanover Tomato Festival. All one has to do to be a member is to be descended either directly or by marriage from a Confederate veteran. I qualify. Why are there 4 flags? The leftmost flag is the Virginia state flag, then there is the Confederate battle flag, then the Sons of Confederate Veterans flag, and the rightmost is the Confederate national flag. Most folks confuse the battle flag (bars and stars) for being the national flag. That day (5 July 2003), they had a petition drive to get our governor at the time (from the northern part of the state) to recognise Confederate history month as his predecessor did.

I guess folks from the People's Republic of Charlottesville and points north of Fredericksburg think we're hopeless. Well, I hope we stay that way!

Comments