NATURAL BRIDGE HOTEL

DEFUNCT 15 Appledore Lane, NATURAL BRIDGE, VA, 24578

More about Natural Bridge

Me silhouetted against the creekMe silhouetted against the creek

Natural Bridge in 1959Natural Bridge in 1959

Anna in front of the Natural BridgeAnna in front of the Natural Bridge

HALLOWEEN DECORATION, NATURAL BRIDGE, VIRGINIAHALLOWEEN DECORATION, NATURAL BRIDGE, VIRGINIA

Travel Tips for Natural Bridge

Monacan Indian customs and legend

by matcrazy1

A costumed guy in Monacan Indian Village fenced with a wooden palisade told us about customs of the Monacan Tribe and their daily activities that was farming, hunting, fishing, making war, cooking, and gardening. The women gardened and gathered berries, nuts and other food. They grew beans, corn, squash and other crops. The women made household items - I could see at place - out of bone, wood, animal skins and other locally available resources. They used the thread they made from milkweed to make a strong cord which they used in making baskets. The men hunted, fished and made war. Deer and black bear were plentiful.

The guide told us the legend which says that the Monacan Indians discovered the Natural Bridge while under attack by Algonquin tribes. When the Monacans reached the chasm of Cedar Creek without a visible way to cross over, they knelt down and prayed for the Great Spirit to protect them. When they arose from praying the 215 foot tall bridge had appeared. Women and children crossed to safety. With renewed strength and courage, the men followed but not until after they met and defeated the Algonquins.

Natural Bridge

by mikelisaanna

Natural Bridge is one of the scenic highlights of Virginia. It is 200 feet high and 70 feet wide, and was formed when the roof of a large cavern collapsed, leaving only the bridge of rock that exists today.

Natural Bridge is a fun place to spend a day with your children. In addition to the bridge, there is a small zoo, a wax museum, and a recreated Monacan Indian village.

A Natural Stone Arch in the East

by grandmaR

About a month after my husband and I were married, we packed up and drove from Maryland to Pensacola Florida. One of the places we visited on the way was visited Natural Bridge in Virginia. Each time we've been by since then, it has been winter or early spring and the Natural Bridge wasn't open or at least the caverns were closed.

At that time, I took eleven photos with my 35 mm film camera which had no flash and no zoom. I discarded three of these as too underexposed to keep including one of my husband 'finding' Lost River. This left me with three pictures of the bridge, one of my new husband holding up the roof of the Salt Peter Cave, and some very very dark ones of the falls, plus the one above of some swans.

Comments