777 Waterside Drive, Norfolk, Virginia, 23510, United States

Satisfaction Average

Costs 28% more than similarly rated 3 star hotels

• Canuck5's Profile Photo

Sheraton Norfolk Waterside Hotel

As the name implies, the Waterside Sheraton Hotel in Norfolk, VA is located along the south side of the Elizabeth River, in downtown Norfolk. It has about 450 rooms, over 10 floors.
    The front desk staff were pleasant and helpful. The rooms were clean, and the bed was very comfortable. The Sheraton, according to some locals, is considered probably the better of the hotels in this area, although the Marriott would be a close second. (Someone I know who stayed at the Radisson in Norfolk said they would never stay there again.)
    Both of these hotels have been around for a number of years, and show some signs of age inside. Although our room was fine, with clean bathrooms, the shower head fixture was loose and pulled away easily from the shower wall. Other than this, everything else was fine. Some of the rooms have outdoor patios.

The hotel has a pool, but it's outdoors, so it wouldn't open until the summer.

Prices at the hotel restaurant were, in my view, a bit high, and nothing to brag about. There's a bagel restaurant a block away, or a restaurant just a block up on St. Paul St. across from the courthouse, that made better alternatives.

There is a parking complex a short walk away where you'll need to pay to park, or valet parking out front if you really don't mind paying !

Unique Quality: There's a nice view looking across the Elizabeth River, and there's a nice boardwalk between the hotel and river, to stroll along.

Within walking distance of the Nauticus Center and the USS Wisconsin, the McArthur Mall, the Scope arena, and the Chrysler Hall. The hotel's location means you have easy access to the highway.

All things considered, it was a fine place to stay, but a bit pricey.

Directions: Check out Google Earth for one of the best ways to view downtown Norfolk, and area.

• robertnavy's Profile Photo

GREAT DOWNTOWN HOTEL

I HAVE STAYED A FEW TIMES AND HAS ALWAYS MEET MY EXPECTATIONS THAT GOES WITH THE MARRIOTT NAME. VERY FRIENDLY AND COURTEOUS STAFF. GREAT LOCATION IN DOWNTOWN NORFOLK A BLOCK FROM THE WATERFRONT (ELIZABETH RIVER) CENTRAL DWNTWN AREA CLOSE AND WALKING DISTANCE TO NIGHTLIFE AND GREAT RESTAURANTS.

Unique Quality: WATERSIDE MARRIOTT IS A GREAT PLACE TO STAY IN DOWNTOWN CLOSE TO ALL MAJOR ATTRACTIONS...CLOSE TO MALL AND NAUTICUS, USS WISCONSIN. GREAT STAFF AND GOOD FITNESS FACILITY AND POOL AREA. THEY HELP YOU IN ANY WAY. HIGHLY RECOMMEND BE READY TO PAY THOUGH.

Directions: DOWNTOWN NOFOLK, WATERSIDE CLOSE TO ELIZABETH RIVER

• Ewingjr98's Profile Photo

Sheraton, Norfolk

The Sheraton is one of the better hotels in Norfolk with nice rooms, a good location on the water, and within easy walking distance to bars, clubs, restaurants, the baseball stadium, and historic sites. However, this hotel will nickel and dime you to death with miscellaneous charges, so be prepared. You will spend money on valet parking, a fee for non-valet parking, a fee to call 1-800 numbers, a $50 (!) early checkout fee, a late check in fee, local call fee, dial-up ISP fee...

Those are just the fees I experienced. There are probably others I wasn't lucky enough to experience!

More about Sheraton Norfolk Waterside

Hidden Cost

On Janurary 4, 2006 I called the Sheraton Norfolk Waterside Hotel to make room reservations for February 9-11, 2006. I called early to make reservations because I wanted a smoking room. I arrive at the hotel and was informed I owed an extra $50.00 because I was paying cash for the room. I did not mind paying the $50.00 but I felt I should of been informed of this extra charge when I made the reservations. I was also informed that 2 rooms were booked in my name. I only called one time to make my reservations and only made reservations for one room. The lady who checked me in told me she would take it off and had the room taken out of my name (she did this while I was standing there). I get to my room and they had given me a non-smoking room so I go back down stairs and get another room-smoking. I arrive home (Mississippi) and get my credit card bill and a charge of $134.47 had been charged to my card from the Sheraton Norfolk Waterside Hotel. This amount put my credit card overlimit so I was also charged another $30.00 for overlimit amount. I called the hotel and was informed I was charged for the extra room that was taken off when I checked in. I was also told that it was my responsibility to pay the overlimit charge. I travel alot but never again will I stay at a Sheraton even if the workshop there.

fungus palace-this place is rediculously pathetic

Entered room: reaked of mold and fungus. Wallpaper peeling off walls from moisture. Mold growing on floor at the baseboards. Entered bathroom: rust sludge oozing from showerhead and faucet. Water leaking from the ceiling over showerhead. Exited room: pleasant view of Norfolk as I jumped from the 9th story window. Will never associate with Sheraton hotels again. Check it out yourself: Sheraton Waterside, Norfolk, room 910. Disgusting.

Great Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member ChesterCouple

This is the second time I have stayed at the Sheraton Waterside in Norfolk. The Sheraton beds are the most comfortable of any hotel I have stayed at. You can tell the hotel and rooms have some age to them, but they are clean and kept nice. The hotel staff was very helpful with information about Norfolk. It's location is superb for getting around to do things on a weekend. I will definitely stay there anytime I go to Norfolk.

I lasted 2 hours before leaving

This was the worst Sheraton I had ever stayed at. The walls were stained with fruit punch, the internet access did not work, half the light bulbs were burnt out, and the room was DIRTY. I tried to spend the night but after 2 hours I had to check out. I went to the Marriott across the street which was perfect. Do not stay in this hotel

Just a lousy experience

by TripAdvisor Member Pb650

Stayed for two weeknights in August 2005 for business. I will never stay here again.

I had booked a club level room. The hotel flubbed the reservations and put me in a room on a lower floor for the first night. I had to FIGHT to get my bill adjusted to reflect the lower level of accomodation. I moved to the club level the second day, only to find out it was no big deal. The cocktail hour is not free, folks. You pay for your lousy glass of wine, even for almost paying $200/night. What a joke. And the food they rolled out was tired and stale.

The corridors on the two floors I was on were tired and old with stained carpet and peeling wall paper. The shower in my first room was positively nasty, with mold everywhere and little hot water at 0600.

But what really made this hotel stink was the attitude of one particular front desk attendant. I had the great misfortune of having to deal with the same person the entire time I was there. I have never been treated so rudely and indifferently at a hotel. Utter indifference to any reasonable request I made. I realy felt like I was bothering the front desk anytime I approached it. I should have talked to the manager.

The bed was very comfortable though, clean and nice. You can't beat the Sheraton/Westin bed. And the good news ends there.

I'm a Starwood Gold member, but next time I'm in Norfolk I'm staying across the strret at the Marriott.

Dirty Hotel!!

Traveling alone for business, I arrived at 7:30pm and could not get help with my bags. After taking what I could myself, my bags arrived at my door over an hour later. The room was disgusting! Mold was growing in the sleeping area between the wallpaper and ceiling. The bathroom had hair in the tub, mold everywhere, an inch of dust on the exhaust fan, leaking faucet, etc. The coffee pot didn't work, a phone didn't work, a light didn't work. In the morning, I called the front desk because my coffee pot didn't work requesting a cup of coffee (which never came) and requested to change rooms. They said a manager would contact me, never did. I went to the front desk and was granted a change of rooms. The room was much better, but still had traces of mold in the bathroom. The Starwood needs to invest money into room renovations and ensure cleaniness of their rooms. I will never stay at that hotel again. When I checked out, it took a bellman over 30 minutes to come to my room. I was charged full price for everthing!

Can't beat the location

We have stayed at this Sheraton several times, most recently last month. Its not the newest hotel in town, but I've never seen the cleaning issues some of these other posts have indicated. I love that you can walk to everything: Waterside, the new Macarthur Mall, and some museums. This is the only hotel actually on the riverfront(The "waterside" marriott is across the street.)Also, the Sheraton beds are so comfy. We'll be back.

Comments