Tazewell Hotel And Suites

245 Granby Street, Norfolk, Virginia, 23510, United States
Tazewell Hotel & Suites
Orbitz.com Expedia.com Travelocity

More about Norfolk

The Douglas MacArthur Memorial ~ Norfolk, VirginiaThe Douglas MacArthur Memorial ~ Norfolk, Virginia

Virginia Air and Space CenterVirginia Air and Space Center

The public libaryThe public libary

Model of the aircraft carrier USS RangerModel of the aircraft carrier USS Ranger

Staying in Williamsburg and going to Norfolk for the day.

by ashamar18

If anybody reading this post and have tips to share with us pls do.
First of Sept 08 we are staying at Powhatan Plantation in Williamsburg VA for one week. Never stayed at this resort. It is thru RCI. I hope it is nice. I hope I can look forward to it and not look back on it as something We shd not have done.
We would like to spend a day at Norfolk. Maybe at the waterfront? Hoping to have boat to plate dinner? Good stadium seating movies nearby?
We would like to go to Virgina Beach one day as well. Anybody know any good raw bars there?
I would like some help from people who know first hand of these places. Not hopelessly rely on brochures. Although I'm not knocking brochures. Thanks in advance.
Jayne

Re: Staying in Williamsburg and going to Norfolk for the day.

by lostsooner55

I haven't stayed at your resort, but I do tend to shy away from places that are trying to sell me a timeshare. The resort has varied reviews. I honestly think you could do better. For possible day trips besides Norfolk, you might also look at Richmond as a destination. There are lighthouses to visit: (www.lighthousefriends.com/va,html, and the James River area plantations: (www.jamesriverplantations.org). There is the Civil War Battlefield, where you can do a drive through tour that is pretty extensive. You also might wish to visit Charlottesville, which is about 125 miles from Williamsburg, (www.pursuecharlottesville.com). Thomas Jefferson's home, Monticello, is located there, as is Ashlawn-Highland, one of James Monroe's homes. A place I liked to eat lunch was the Michie Tavern,(not a bar), which serves a "colonial-style" meal, and has a small museum. There is a discount card you can purchase for these places, The President's Card or Pass. In Virginia Beach, you might wish to visit the Virginia Aquarium,(www.virginiaaquarium.com). Besides the marine exhibits, they also have an IMAX theater which shows ocean-themed movies, and from time-to-time, a new release movie. I can't really give too many restaurant suggestions, other than Michie, as they would probably be too dated to be accurate. Gary

Re: Staying in Williamsburg and going to Norfolk for the day.

by lostsooner55

The Civil War battlefield I mentioned is near Petersburg. Gary

Travel Tips for Norfolk

neighborhoods

by davecallahan

Historically, Norfolk has had invisible boundaries placed around certain sections of the city.
These "neighborhoods" have distinct ambience based on the physical features of the area or the economic stratus of the occupants or the ethnic background of its emigrants or the historic event that took place.

These neighborhoods are:
Algonquin Park
Ballentine
Berkley.... historic port and shipyards as well as rail terminus
Chesterfield Heights
Colonial Place... picturesque water front community
Downtown Norfolk
Fairmount Park
Ghent district... definite Euorpean flavor in this upscale Bohemian neighborhood
Larchmont... quiet residential area
Lafayette
Lochhaven
Meadowbrook
North Ghent
Norview
Ocean View... once prosperous rail-centered area that is now in social/economic decline
Park Place... ethnic-centered area for African Americans which has become a slum area
Riverview
Sewell's Point... historic area where many sea battles have taken place
Titustown
West Freemason

A great port city

by PenniBF

"Discovering a place to work."

I first went to Norfolk in the summer of 1993. I was spearheading my company's ambitions to do work in Virginia, and I chose Norfolk to be my center. I made a few calls and found an insurance agency that was interested in helping us further our interests there.
I went to visit the agency that was located on one of the upper floors of a highrise on Waterside Drive. When I was invited into the owner's office and saw the view, I was amazed. He had a view from his desk of the entire Chesapeake Bay. As far as I could see, there were military ships lined up in the shipyards side by side, either at anchor, or having work done.
These ships are very large, but from his window, seeing hundreds of them lined up, it gave the impression of them being toy ships in a bath. The feeling of awe never left me, and I treasure that memory to this day.

Comments