12460 Mayhurst Lane, Orange, Virginia, 22960, United States

Expedia.com Travelocity Hotels.com

• von.otter's Profile Photo

A Bit of History and Much Charm

“In my tent last night, after a fatiguing day’s service, I remembered that I failed to send a contribution for our colored Sunday school. Enclosed you will find a check for that object, which please acknowledge at your earliest convenience and oblige yours faithfully.”
    — General Thomas ‘Stonewall’ Jackson (1824-1863), from a letter to his pastor

The reason we chose the Mayhurst Inn was how lovely looks on its web page; also, it gets high marks on the travel web site TripAdvisor. The Inn exceeded all expectations. Innkeepers, husband and wife Jack and Pat (see photo #2), were helpful, friendly and accommodating. When they learned that I do not eat meat they served me breakfasts with soy substitutes for the meats.

On the 6th of August of 1862, General Stonewall Jackson spent the night in the guest room, the only bedchamber with a closet. Because in Virginia house doors were taxed, any room with a closet was meant to impress visitors. We slept in that very same guest room. It was clean and comfortable, bright and cheerful with its white and blue wallpaper (see photo #3).

Although the Inn offers the charms of a bygone era in its public areas and its eight guest rooms, with names such as the Magnolia Room, the Madison Room, and ours, the Southern Charm Room, it is firmly planted in the 21st century offering such modern services as high-speed Wi-Fi access.

The Inn is listed on the National Registry of Historic Places; and it is a Virginia Historic Landmark for its historic as well as its architectural merit. This antebellum mansion has an unusual oval-spiral staircase that rises between its four stories. Each morning we took our breakfast at the little round table at the bottom of the stairs (see photo #5). The Inn’s cupola, accessible to guests, offers sweeping views of the property. Situated on 37 acres of lawns, gardens, fields and old-growth forest, the Mayhurst Inn also has a peaceful pond on its grounds. We enjoyed a lush green view from our room’s windows (see photo #4).

In 1859, Colonel John Willis, a great nephew of President James Madison, was 50 years old when he built this magnificent 9,200-square-foot gem in the Victorian Italianate style for his family of eight children. Corn, cattle, hogs and horses were raised here. Fifty slaves worked the fields, and tended to the family’s needs. Colonel Willis had given generous support to the Confederate cause; now, he could not pay his property taxes. He lost his home and 1,700 of his 2,500 acres in 1868. A Northern carpetbagger, administering the county for the Federal government, bought the land and house. Willis is buried at nearby James Madison’s Montpelier. If you plan to visit Montpelier, the Inn offers discount tickets. The Mayhurst plantation hosted General Robert E. Lee and 18,000 Confederate troops; they pitched their tents on the plantation grounds during the winter of 1863-64.

Directions: The web site has excellent directions; also, when you make your reservations, directions will be included in your confirmation mailing.

More about Mayhurst Inn

Superb

by TripAdvisor Member N0str0m0

Great experience; highly recommended. The Inn is visually stunning and beautifully restored. The grounds are lovely. One feels transported back to the 19th century. Our room was spacious and clean with modern amenities. The owners - Pat and Jack -are friendly and easy-going. They cheerfully offered great tips on local attractions, wineries, and restaurants. We followed their advice and were consistently impressed. We never realized Orange and environs had so much to offer. Wine and cheese was offered in the drawing room each evening while guests chatted about local experiences and owner provided insights and recommendations. Great location to explore Virginia wineries, restaurants, Monticello, Montpelier and just plain get-away.

Beautiful, restful, historic, comfortable

by TripAdvisor Member Toonces

This large, beautiful southern mansion and the 27 acres of shaded grounds exceeded our expectations. Both appear meticulously maintained. As the house comes into view from the tree-lined drive, you get a sense of seclusion from the outside world, and of stepping back into a more genteel time. The owners, Jack and Pat, welcomed us graciously even though we arrived after 9pm. After wine and a few minutes talk in the parlour about Stonewall Jackson amidst bookcases filled with civil war books, we were settled in the Generals' room, the only bedroom on the main level (overlooking the back and side gardens.) The southern plantation decor was just lovely: fine fabrics, wallpapers, antique furniture, impressive wood mouldings, shutters, oriental rugs, original hard wood floors. The bed was comfortable with plush linens. The bath was a bit cramped but plenty of space in the shower and good water pressure. Excellent central air conditioning system. The only tv was in the parlour, but we did not miss it. There are history and travel books throughout the house. Prior to leaving I viewed the second floor bedrooms, which are somewhat roomier; they all look just as pictured on the website. I think I would splurge and choose the Southern Charm or Madison Room on a future visit. The Italianate bedroom had a huge, ornate bathroom almost the size of the bedroom, lovely, but we like the Old South feel of the other rooms better. All have lovely views of the grounds.

The owners are just so hospitable, unobtrusive, and very knowledgeable about the area's history. They served a wine and cheese happy hour on the back veranda, and there are soft drinks and bottled water available in the parlour apparently at all times. There were other couples there, but with several seating areas both in and out of the house, including a large brick patio with several tables (which no one used while we were there) and separate tables for breakfast, we never felt any forced social interaction; my husband and I are rather hermit-like.

We ate two breakfasts in the lovely downstairs dining hall; both were delicious, served on pretty china. One was fresh berries and waffles with syrup, the other a wonderful baked apple and eggs benedict, all prepared by Jack and Pat.

For dinner Jack made reservations for us at Tollivers, a quick nine miles away...gourmet food in an elegant, understated remodled older house...and reasonably priced ($21 crab cake entree). Just a lovely evening. Jack and Pat also provided us with discount tickets to Monticello and Montpelier and gave us a map to some excellent area antique stores.

My husband and I loved the tranquility, beauty, and space of this B&B and hope to return to central Virginia some day just to stay at Mayhurst.

Fantastic Weekend!

by TripAdvisor Member PGD52

We just got home from our weekend stay at the Mayhurst Inn, and I miss it already. We met friends there who we don't get to see very often so we were looking for a relaxing place where we could sit and visit as much as we wanted. My husband and I had been to Mayhurst before so we suggested that we stay there. We had a great time, and it was so relaxing and comfortable. Pat and Jack are great and make you feel like you are visiting friends and not just at an impersonal inn. The wine tasting is a wonderful touch, and it helps you decide which wineries in the area that you want to visit. The rooms are so clean and comfortable, and the breakfast is always very tasty. I've been to many B and Bs, but this is the only one I've gone back to a second time, and after this weekend, I'm sure there will be a third and fourth time too. They even let us sit and visit on the back porch for as long as we wanted after we checked out. Great place and owners!

Wonderful Experience

by TripAdvisor Member jcgcrows

My wife and I celebrated our first anniversary by touring wineries and staying at the Mayhurst Inn. What a great experience! Pat and Jack were very accomodating. They have the perfect balance of being personable hosts and giving guests space to enjoy themselves. The wine and cheese reception was fantastic and is a great way to meet people. It's quiet location is close to wineries, dining and historical attractions. We stayed on a Monday so my wife and I took the opportunity to check out the other rooms in the inn. Now we know which ones we want to stay in when we return in the future! This is a beautiful B & B to stay at.

Marvelous Mayhurst

by TripAdvisor Member Sprawlb

My wife and I have stayed at Mayhurst several times. It is always a treat.

The last time we visited ,Jack (one of the owners) lent me a fishing rod and told me the best place to buy worms and I spent a relaxing afternoon at the pond while my wife visited all the little shops in Orange and had "high tea" at a local tea shop - a fate I was happy to dodge.

We both enjoy the local wineries (several are award winning) and we have visited Montpelier three times to see how the renovations are going.
On our last visit the guide showed us a fireplace where the courses of bricks were not level - apparently Jefferson had warned Madison the mason was prone to drink, but he hired him anyway!

Just remember that Orange is a very small town - no fru-fru bottled water at the grocery stores, but if your goal is to get away from hectic city life, it's just the ticket.

And the stars at night are amazing - try star gazing with a glass of champaign in the cupola for a romantic start to your trip.

Fabulous B & B stay!!

by TripAdvisor Member Blklabvet

My husband and I couldn't have been happier with the welcome and hospitality that we received from the owners of this beautiful B & B, Jack and Pat North. The mansion and grounds are beautiful, the plantation breakfasts were outstanding, and the Virginia wine and cheese cocktail hour really started the evenings off right! They helped guests with dinner reservations at restaurants, discounted tickets to nearby attractions and even helped us with our real estate search in the area. Best of all, we had our own separate accomodations on the property, the original School House, which was a little cottage with a bedroom with fireplace, kitchen and full bath. We were able to bring our two Labradors with us as the School House was pet friendly. Our dogs loved the trails and pond on the property! We had so much privacy that the other guests in the main house didn't even know that we had our dogs with us until we told them! I highly recommend this B & B--it was one of the best that we've ever stayed in and is meticulously restored to its 1859 grandeur! What a lucky house to have these owners!!

Historical Elegance

by TripAdvisor Member bellkell

The Inn & grounds were serene & ultra comfortable. During my morning walk near the charming pond (where fishing poles, and a rowboat was available for use) I saw a beautiful red fox. The cupola view was amazing. The hosts, Pat & Jack, provided gourmet breakfasts and tips and advice to make our stay perfect. Jack arranged our itinerary from the morning horseback ride to our tours of the nearby Presidential estates, of which, the beauty & history of Mayhurst Inn is comparable.

Wow!! Mayhurst Inn is wonderful!

by TripAdvisor Member lakjh

My husband and I booked the Foliage special at the Mayhurst Inn, which included a biplane flight over the Blue Ridge Mountains. The entire experience was wonderful from the moment we arrived. Pat and Jack North are friendly, interesting people; the breakfasts were generous and delicious (blueberry covered waffles the first morning; Eggs Benedict the second). We stayed in the "Southern Charm" suite, which was lovely, and I was allowed to look at the other rooms after the guests had checked out - - all are beautifully decorated and maintained. I highly recommend the Mayhurst Inn for a "get away from real life" weekend!! And for the adventurous, the biplane flight was exciting (John Corradi of blueridgebiplanerides.com), but remember to bring coats and gloves as your hands will get really cold in the open cockpit!

Wonderful experience!

by TripAdvisor Member uwmsee

Wonderful B&B with very knowledgable, friendly, accommodating hosts! We did the Presidential package, visiting all of the Presidential mansions in the area. Jack and Pat prepared wonderful breakfasts both mornings...if you go away hungry, it's your own fault! The evening wine and cheese was a very nice touch as well. The B&B has incredible history that you can read about at the website, and their decor makes it come to life.

There are a variety of rooms in the home, something for everyone. We took a peek into most of them, all of them were very nice! We stayed in the Piedmont Room, which was great because we had the third floor pretty much to ourselves. It also has a sitting room with a TV that is separated from the bedroom by the bathroom. This worked out well for when I got up earlier than my wife, I could watch tv and let her sleep til she woke up (and she watched tv when I zonked out earlier than her at night).

Jack and Pat gave spot-on advice about local wineries and attractions, including restaurants. We ate at Pomme, a French restaurant very near the B&B which was wonderful. In all, we had the best weekend we have had in years!!!!

Comments