Southside Railroad Station
Directly behind the Farmer's Market is the Southside Railroad Depot, built in 1856. It is the only antebellum railroad depot that survives to this day. That is no small feat given the Siege of 1864-65. However, the east wing was destroyed by the Great Tornado of 1993. The South Side Railroad was built and operated by slave labour, both rented and owned by the company. This was a supply and staging area for the Yankee army. It had a central office station, crowned with a cupola, and a pair of freight sheds going east and west. The current railway (Amtrak) station serving Petersburg is really in Ettrick (Chesterfield County) across the Appomattox River.