3063 Old Route 100 Rd, Pulaski, VA 24301

Travel Tips for Pulaski

Short night visit starts my US Pulaski collection

by matcrazy1

"Courthouse"

Kazimierz Pulaski - in the USA usually written Casimir Pulaski (1745 – 1779) - was a Polish soldier and politician. A notable member of the Polish gentry, he was the commander of the Bar Confederation against the Russian domination of the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth. When this failed, he moved to America, where he became one of the notable commanders of the American Revolutionary War. He died in the Battle of Savannah. Pulaski Day Parade is celebrated on Fifth Avenue in New York City on the first October Sunday since 1937 to commemorate common Polish and American hero.

That's why, despite darkness at about 8pm, as soon as I saw exit 94 off I-81 to Pulaski I took it and stopped at a gas station to read a leaflet on Pulaski County previously taken from Virginia Welcome Center. Well, there was no information on city itself except about its three historic districts. So, I wanted to see them and find some nightlife, a lively pub or restaurant. After over 3 miles I was in Pulaski historic downtown and things worked a bit different than I thought. Futher details in my tips.

"Pulaski in the USA"

There are 17 more towns and 6 more counties named after Pulaski in the USA: in Arkansas, Georgia, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kentucky, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, New York, Ohio, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, Tennessee and Wisconsin. Sooner or later I will visit all of them :-). As for now I visited great Fort Pulaski National Monument near Savannah in Georgia.

Comments