Clarion Inn North

801 East Parham Road, (Formerly the Holiday Inn Richmond), Richmond, Virginia, 23227, United States
Orbitz.com Booking.com Expedia.com

Satisfaction Terrible

More about Richmond

The Senate Chamber, with Lee's statueThe Senate Chamber, with Lee's statue

Monument AvenueMonument Avenue

Gov. Bob McDonnell on inauguration dayGov. Bob McDonnell on inauguration day

fried scallops, baked potatofried scallops, baked potato

Week-a-way from Richmond

by AtownTraveller

My son is a student currently working as a counsellor at a summer camp near Richmond. He finishes in August and has plans to visit NY, Boston etc. However, he has just been told that he has a week break in July. Can anybody advise a trip itenery (preferably suitable by Greyhound) that he can do on his additional week off.

Thanks in advance

Martin
Belfast
Ireland

by newyorkerman

If you mean Richmond, Virgina, there are many things to do and see, but what are his interests? Hiking? Musuems? He is just a couple of hours ride from Washington, D.C., as well as the Appalaichan Trail which runs up to Canada.

by ellielou

There are tons of things to do around Richmond, VA.

As mentioned above, DC is maybe a 2 hour trip or less. Baltimore is about an hour farther away than that. I don't know if it's accessible by Greyhound, but he could also hit one of the beaches in the area.

by VA_Dave

If he really wants to see NYC and Boston, then the least expensive transportation is the chinatown buses that run between DC-NYC and NYC-Boston. Just google "chinatown bus washington, dc" to see all the options. So he will have to get to DC from Richmond - about 100 miles or 2 hours by Greyhound or car - to catch the chinatown bus.

He should also check Craigslist for shared rides to DC or beyond

by newyorkerman

While cheap, those Chinatown buses have recently had a couple of crashes which resulted in fatalities. So I'd be cautious in recommending them at this point.

by AtownTraveller

Thanks for all your advice guys.

by Hopkid

You can actually catch the Chinatown bus in Richmond. Check the website for fares and departure times. I've heard that some departure times are in the middle of the night.

Travel Tips for Richmond

Richmond Tip

by DrewV

This is where we used to live

Broke into the old apartment

Tore the phone out of the wall

Only memories, fading memories

Blending into dull tableaux

I want them back

--Barenaked Ladies

My fondest memory of Richmond was living there. When I graduated from college in... er... 1997, I moved to Richmond to start a fantastic new job with a regional bank headquartered there. Very cool. So this apartment in Richmond was the first flat of my adult life. Everything was great. I moved there on June 20, spent a week hanging around town, starting working on June 30, and had a tremendous time getting to know Richmond and Virginia. Then on July 20, I learned that my bank had been taken over by a large national bank based in Charlotte, NC. Since I was in marketing, and marketing a bank that no longer exists is rather difficult, my job was in effect terminated. They couldn't fire me until the merger went through, so basically, they paid me to do nothing. For two months, I goofed around town, went out partying every night, and had one last crazy summer. Then I moved to Charlotte...

Shockoe Slip

by b1bob

Shockoe Slip is defined by cobblestone streets and a 19th century air put right up against the postmodern high-rise buildings in the adjoining financial district. It has an eclectic mix of restaurants (such as Morton's Steakhouse, Europa, Rivah Bistro, and the Tobacco Company) and shops, some of which are very upscale. It runs from Cary and Canal Street (north-south) to 10th to 15th Street (east-west). Recently, developpers have converted old warehouses to store and living space.

A friendly smile!

by ATXtraveler

One thing that I noticed about Richmond in particular was the friendly style and smile of most of the locals. Almost all of them engaged in conversation if appropriate, many offered their prayers for family members who were sick, or their thanks for serving our country. I also greatly enjoyed walking downtown when we ran into this nice mother and daughter. Seeing the large camera mounted on my chest, she politely tugged on my shirt and asked me if I would make her picture. I said back, only if you smile big!

The results are here.

Village in a city?

by matcrazy1

There are a few suburban communities around Richmond which are in reality part of one large area (greater Richmond). But, for some historical reasons, they are unincorporated communities and belong to neighbouring counties of Henrico and Hanover (north of the James River) and Chesterfield County (south of that river).

Nat's hometown, Mechanicsville belongs to Hanover county and, what a surprise! It looks more like a village than a town with total population of 30,464 (2000).

Oftentimes, the BEDROOM COMMUNITIES (places where many people live by night, but work in the nearby larger city), are a different world both politically and culturally from the inner city. Business areas are located along main roads. The rest, that is residential areas look like on my picture :-). I found it very nice and relaxing. Let's hope they can preserve it forever!

Pub Restaurant and Microbrewery

by grandmaR

We ate at a very nice restaurant that was a microbrewery and brewed their own beers. I didn't have any, but the folks I was with tried several different one.

I finally found the bill and it is the Richbrau Brewing CO.

In addition to the actual restaurant, they have other dining areas. There is a pub downstairs next to the main restaurant. There is also a Billiards Pub and Club upstairs, and there is a new Tap House Grill next door.

Comments