Four Points by Sheraton Richmond Airport

Four Points by Sheraton Richmond Airport
Orbitz.com FourPoints.com Booking.com

More about Richmond

The Chiggers performThe Chiggers perform

whale of a muralwhale of a mural

Richmond ZooRichmond Zoo

Show time!!Show time!!

I have questions about relocation....

by jgagz77

I have never been to Virginia, but might be moving there very shortly. I am looking for a place around Sutherland, but I am concerned about what areas to stay away from. Please give me any helpful addvise about choosing a place to live and any helpful tips about the area. Thanks

by xymmot

I do not know of a place call Sutherland as I am a Richmond native. I live at the westend which is a nice neighborhood and peaceful. Across the river is the Southside. It has the ups and downs , and can be iffy in the wrong areas. Most younger people love the area call the Fan and there are many new condos opening up along the river front. Choosing a place to live depends on your age, what you want in services, entertainments etc. I will monitor this forum for a reply as to your age, what kind of life style, why you want to relocate from what town.????? Where in Va? Richmond, Northern Virgnia? Good luck

by jgagz77

I am looking for areas around sutherland Va, I want for a decent neighborhood ....I am looking to rent for the moment so it's hard to put a price on it. I want a safe and well known neighborhood and i'm not apposed to somewhere out in the rural areas but I just want to make sure I don't choose a place where we won't feel comfortable. I want to stay within 30 min of the Sutherland (dinwiddie county area).. Please help

by xymmot

I have read your reply and now understand the area that you are looking at. I live in Richmond, Va. where you have posted your question. the place Sutherland in Dinwiddie County is 25 miles south of Richmond and past Petersburg. here is a link to the county ( http://www.city-data.com/county/Dinwiddie_County-VA.html ) it will help you better understand where you want to be relocated to. I am not familiar with the area, but have read that the population is about 25,000 people and it is a rural area with farm land. the area is a safe place in the country and there is little crime. If you choose to live there, call a real estate agent in the area to give you better details as I have past through the area, but never stayed. Welcome to Virginia and I hope you can find Virginia to call home.

Travel Tips for Richmond

I agree, avoid, avoid, avoid

by eyefornikon

I would agree to avoid this area at all costs. The whole area has fallen into decline. Hopefully the correct developement could save it, but that doesn't seem to be the wishes of the leaders involved in this area. I was there on the day it was boycotted because of a proposed "Confederate Day". The black residents were boycotting this mall (of course almost all of the businesses that were left were black owned, go figure). It was pretty scary, David Duke showed up but somehow things turned out peaceful in this dangerous part of town! Again, I would try and stay out of this area at all costs! Skip Chesterfield Mall too, go to the new Stoney Point Fashion Park up the road on Chippenham, the best you are gonna get south of the Rivah!

A.P. Hill Monument

by b1bob

On 2 April 1865, Confederate General Ambrose Powell Hill, fell near Petersburg mortally wounded by Corporal John W. Mauck of Pennsylvania. As Richmond was being evacuated, Hill's men tried without success to find somebody from Hollywood Cemetery to bury their General. Failing that, they located a plain pine box in which they placed the body and carried Hill to the family home on the outskirts of Richmond where they buried him in the Winston family cemetery. General Hill remained there until September 1867 when he was removed and reinterred in Hollywood Cemetery, as his widow Dolly wished. Yet, no headstone was erected; the words "Lt-Gen. A. P. Hill" were etched into the curbing on front of his grave. Years later, Confederate veterans and Virginians worked to erect monuments to their former Generals including Hill. Through their efforts, the A.P. Hill monument was erected at the intersection of Laburnum Avenue and Hermitage Road in Richmond. Before the 30 May 1892, unveiling, General Hill's remains were dug up again, removed from Hollywood Cemetery, and reinterred 1 July 1891, at the base of his future monument. Christian and others have asked me why the A.P. Hill monument was not with the others on Monument Avenue. I wish I had the answer especially since they have included a dead tennis player.

en español, em português, en français

Virginia Historical Markers

by ATXtraveler

With all of the significant history in Virginia, it is more important than ever to stop and take a minute to read about the way this state and obviously the country was formed. I think the State of Virginia has done an excellent job relaying this history to those who want to read about it in these historical markers.

Throughout the trip around Richmond I had a chance to read a little bit more than the average person!

The Richmond kabuki

by b1bob

The Richmond kabuki is an interesting cultural exercise. It begins when Jim Duncan on channel 12 predicts snowfall of more than a dusting in the Richmond area. Folks then converge on Ukrop's like yuppies to a Volvo dealership and buy up every loaf of bread or carton of milk to be found as though al-Qaeda were marching up Mechanicsville Turnpike. We Southerners are a strong lot, but our one weakness is winter weather. The only thing funnier from the perspective of our Northern counterparts (called Yankees) is seeing Southern drivers trying to struggle through the snow.

University of Richmond (or U of R)

by b1bob

The University of Richmond (or U of R, as it's locally called) is the closest thing in Virginia to a northeastern Ivy League School. My friends who attend (or are alumni of) the University of Virginia in Charlottesville and William & Mary in Williamsburg might beg to differ, but I still contend U of R has more of an Ivy League feel than those two other fine universities. U of R has that Ivy League feel because of the old style architecture of the residence and academic halls. Much of the student body is from the Northeastern United States. A good friend of mine goes here. It was hard narrowing down just 5 photos for this beautiful campus. Each building has its own unique history and most buildings have quite an imposing architectural style. For fans of architecture, the U of R campus could be a VT page unto itself. Its rolling hills, high pine trees, and Westhampton Lake give it a leafy, parklike feel. However, U of R hasn't always been at this site. U of R traces its roots to 1830, when Virginia Baptists opened a men's seminary. It was incorporated as Richmond College in 1840. During the War for Southern Independence, the University was used first as a hospital by Confederate soldiers and then as a barracks for invading Yankee troops. In 1870, the University opened the T.C. Williams School of Law, one of the oldest law schools in the state. In 1914, Dr. Frederic Boatwright led the move from downtown Richmond to the University's current location: a 350-acre tract of land in the West End of Richmond that was then the site of an abandoned amusement park. On 15 October 1992, U of R gave birth to a new style of presidential debate. Candidates George Bush (the daddy), Bill Clinton and Ross Perot came to campus for the first-ever "town hall" televised presidential debate broadcast worldwide. Since then, the style came to be known as "the Richmond format."

en español, em português + 1 foto extra