Red Carpet Inn

1501 Robin Hood Road (formerly Diamond Suites), Richmond, Virginia, 23230, United States

More about Richmond

Heading west toward Brown's IslandHeading west toward Brown's Island

Virginia State CapitalVirginia State Capital

garlic knotsgarlic knots

garden in back of the housegarden in back of the house

Transportation in Richmond, VA?

by kymalainen2000

what is the best/cheapest way to get from Richmond, VA to Williamsburg, VA? Is there public transportation between these cities (what bus, subway or train numbers, stations to get on and off etc...)? Or is the only way between these cities to rent a car?

by mataloti

Your best bet is by car - it's about an hour on I-64. Amtrak does have the occasional rogue train that runs between Richmond and Williamsburg, so you could go to the Amtrak website and see if there are any trains that work with your schedule. There might be Greyhound buses as well, although I'm not sure.

by ardee4

Bus -- Carolina Trailways and Greyhound have between them 6 buses a day each way between Richmond and Williamsburg. The station is centrally located in Williamsburg.

Train -- AMTRAK has 2 trains a day each way between Richmond and Williamsburg. The station is centrally located in Williamsburg.

Plane -- You can fly into the Richmond Airport, 45 miles from Williamsburg. Or, you can fly into the Hampton/Newport News Airport, 25 miles from Williamsburg.

In any case, you would probably want to rent a car just to get around in Williamsburg. Except for the Williamsburg Foundation's historic area, most of the attractions are pretty well spread out with very little in the way of public transportation.

RE: Transportation in Richmond, VA?

by pmatch

There is a Van service at http://www.suvana.com/williamsburg-phf-airport-transfers.html. However, unless you are just visiting the historic area, you should consider a car. If you are staying within walking distance of Colonial Williamsburg, they have a bus system that is part of the ticket.

by KFcarlover

I recently learned that Groome Transportation offers Richmond to Williamsburg service on an hourly basis. Fare is $40.00 one way/$71.00 round trip and originates @ Richmond International Airport(RIC). City of Williamsburg operates
local public transit service(WAT) which includes service to Jamestown area. There is also a commuter link to Newport News available thru Hampton Roads Transit(HRT).

Travel Tips for Richmond

Richmond Tip

by chiwawa

I really enjoyed the Richmong Highland Games - Festival. I have Scottish, welsh, & Irish ancestry along with a few other nationalities - I'm basically a mutt. My dogs have purer pedigrees. It was one of the few cultural events I participated in while in Virginia. I went with my Irish roomie & some of her friends. We participated in the parade of dogs & one of my dogs won us a t-shirt for being the smallest dog - he weighs in at about 3.8 pounds. I picked up a few items of the plaids of my ancestors & had a good time in general...

Carytown

by b1bob

When I put that USA tip on funky neighbourhoods, Carytown is just what I had in mind. Just in the hour or so Lee and I were here to eat lunch, we saw the colourful storefronts and signposts adorned with Carytown flags, and, for some reason, French flags. We saw an eclectic blend of stores including high-end clothing stores, various types of restaurants, and all manner of gift shops. We even were treated to a sidewalk performance by a young guy banging drums (plastic bins) in front of a store. Located 15 blocks west of Capitol Square, Carytown was redevelopped to be a village within the city of Richmond. The vibrancy of this funky community partly offsets the decline of downtown in the early 1990s. Every August, Carytown hosts a watermelon festival.

Controversial flag?

by matcrazy1

The Stars and bars flag of the Confederacy was similar to the Stars and Stripes flag of the Union. Thus, the commanders had problems to distinguish their troops from those of the enemy. That's why the different flag was adopted. Thus, it became the most well-known of the Confederate flags: the two crossed bars with the 13 stars (the Southern Cross) like in the included photo taken in the Haversack Store of the Museum of the Confederacy. The flag was called The Confederate Battle Flag. This flag has become the generally recognized symbol of the South.

CONTROVERSIAL FLAG?
I got to know later during my trip that unfortunately Neo-Nazis, racists, skin-heads and the like have adopted this flag and desecrated it by their acts. They have no right to co-opt this flag! Maybe, that's why some Americans feel offended looking at this flag. The confederate flag also symbolizes slavery to Black community of the USA even now. In reality, it is a flag of honor, designed by the Confederacy as a banner representing state's rights and Southern culture. It is still displayed in the South. I saw this flag put in front of right many houses throughout the South during my trip.

Later on during my trip, I met a young guy in a T-shirt with this flag on its front and writing on the back:: "If this flag offends you that means you need a history lesson". Enough said...

Robbins Stadium

by gipper84

Robbins Stadium is the basketball stadium for the University of Richmond Spiders. David and I in 2004 went to 2 of the Spider's games here at Robbins Stadium. The stadium itself is very nice on the inside. I really like the complex to be on of the older ones for colleges. The food inside is pretty good at the vendor's and as usual pretty high. The games themselves are quite riveting. The Spiders are a good team and usually do really well during the season. I enjoy going to the games because although I am not a fan of basketball I enjoy watching the sport. This is definetly a fun thing to do if you find yourself with nothing to do on a Friday night. The games are great, with the fans going wild and being out of control. The whole experience is quite overwhelming and don't be surprised if you get a rush of energy especially if the game gets close.

Nat's lovely neighbourhood

by matcrazy1

Mechanicsville, where Nat (b1bob) lives, is only 6 miles (10 km.) from downtown Richmond but it's independent city which belongs to Hanover county. I did visit Nat but, to be honest, I didn't see much of Mechanicsville itself.

Driving around a few times I could see lovely residential both small and quite large houses like this one on my picture (it is not Nat's house). They were put with no specific order on a little bit hilly grounds, along winding, relatively narrow roads. They were surronded by green space full of trees, flowers and various plants. Well, there are no palm trees in Virginia, they start down from southern part of Northern Carolina.

Comments