Super 8 Motel Richmond Broad Street

Super 8 Motel Richmond/Broad Street
Orbitz.com Travelocity Super8.com

Satisfaction Terrible

More about Richmond

Visitors enjoy the boat rideVisitors enjoy the boat ride

Virginia State CapitalVirginia State Capital

upside down apple walnut pieupside down apple walnut pie

civil rights monument (front)civil rights monument (front)

Relocating to Richmond

by skh99

Hello, my husband and I are relocating to the Richmond area in June 2005. we're looking at the Chesterfield County/Midlothian area. And suggestions for which neighborhoods are good with good schools? I will be pregnant and would also like to know which hospitals are the best in that area. My husband and I are from the NYC area and are very excited about moving to Richmond. The times I've been there have been great. My one concern, and I don't mean to offend anyone with this question, is that my husband and I are very liberal and people who probably don't know any better have told us that we won't fit it, that we'll be isolated. Especially since we're from the north. That can't be true, right? I've been to Richmond many times and have family in Charlottesville. I've met only wonderful people. Please give me something to say to all the killjoys. Thank you,

Re: Relocating to Richmond

by littlesam1

Virginia is one of the most conservative states in the country. I am sure you will find the people very friendly and should have no problems. Just be careful before you start making liberal comments. Living in the south is quite different than the north.

Larry

RE: Relocating to Richmond

by MrRandMcnally

I'm a liberal and I grew up in Richmond, Went to Law school at William and Mary. you might have to get used to being outnumbered in discussions and if you don't like to arguee you might want to keep politics out of conversation but it's not like you'll be lynched or even ostracized for being liberal, Hell a democrat is in the Governor's Mansion. It is a beautiful little city, though a bit wierd at times, Enjoy it. I grew up in Midlothian and am proud to have graduated from James River High. I've heard the schools have gone a bit downhill with the new SOLs but Chesterfield county schools served me well and have very dedicated teachers. And ofcourse when the time comes, VA has one of the best, inexpensive Public College systems in the Country. As for Hospitals, I don't know. I was born in Chipingham, but don't remember much of it.

RE: Relocating to Richmond

by VABORN

I live in Chesterfield/Midlothian. The schools in Chesterfield are the best (and I'm not a teacher) but many people move to Chesterfield because of the school system. Best Hospital for OBGYN would be Johnston Willis, contact Richmond OBGYN & Associates (located at JW) - Best Doc is a Canandian born Dr. Gospodnetic. Virginia and Chesterfield welcomes all liberals, left wing and right wing - we do understand and practice Southern Hospitality - - we can't drive in the rain without having mulitiple accidents and 1 inch of snow here means schools close down for days on end??? Much different than NY. The further out Midlothian (60) or Hull Street Rd (360) the more land you can have at cheaper prices than say the West End.
Congratulations on your pregnancy and Good Luck with your move.

Travel Tips for Richmond

Safety

by matcrazy1

Surely I spent too little time in Richmond to be able to fully comment on personal safety. I can only say that I found downtown and area along Monument Avenue and in Capitol Square safe both at day and early evening. Although this capitol police car in my picture was the only sign of police presence I saw, I did see locals, including older folks, willing to jog by themselves along Monument Avenue after dark was a sign it was safe enough for them do it.

Generally American cities and towns I visited were very safe, maybe except some residential, non-touristy areas in a few inner cities, I always skipped both in the South and in the West. Forget about Hollywood movies which exaggerate the danger in American cities. There are, however, some bad neighbourhoods in any city. Research where they are before you go and make it a point to avoid them. As for Richmond, check out b1bob's warnings and dangers tip on the subject, Mind where you go, please.

The Pyramid

by b1bob

Hollywood Cemetery has a 90 foot (27 m.) pyramid which is a monument to the thousands of Confederate enlisted men. Their fight was less about defending the institution of slavery (many Confederate war veterans were poor farmers who couldn't afford slaves) than about defending their home against aggression from somewhere else. What really stands out here is that the collective monument for the enlisted men is much more grandiose than the monument for President Jefferson Davis.

Political Stickers

by ATXtraveler

Virginia is definitely one of the most involved states in the US when it comes to politics. One thing that did intrigue me about Richmond in particular, was that there seemed to be expressions of political preference in the parking lot of the government buildings near the Capitol. In most places, government employees are not allowed to list their political preferences of affiliations publicly, as this would be a possible conflict of interest with their current role or position.

Needless to say, this was not an issue with this particular car! It also appears that someone with a dissenting view, expressed his "approval" of the sticker on the left rear bumper!

NASCAR, under the lights.

by ABA607

If you have the chance to go to the NASCAR race at Richmond, do it. The fun other than the races, is the community feeling, and the party. You will meet interesting people from all over the country.
There is plenty of lodging, but we enjoy RVing, right outside the track. There are lots, with tram service all over.

Richmond's Mosque-like Landmark Theater

by Ewingjr98

The Landmark Theater was built from 1926 to 1927 by the Acca Temple of the Mystic Shrine, also known as the Shriners. The amazing building was designed after an Islamic mosque with tiles imported from Spain, Italy and Tunisia. The building also features one of the largest pipe organs in the South.

In 1940 the city of Richmond acquired the property and has since used it for live performances such as ballet, concerts, and plays. The Landmark Theater was restored in the mid 1990s.

Comments