The Jefferson Hotel

101 W Franklin St, Franklin & Adams Sts, Richmond, Virginia, 23220, United States

Orbitz.com amextravel.com Historic Hotels

• doug48's Profile Photo

luxury

the jefferson hotel was built in 1895 by tobacco tycoon lewis ginter. ginter hired the famous architectural firm carrere and hastings to design the hotel. the jefferson hotel is one of the finest examples of beaux arts design in america. the jefferson is listed on the national register of historic places. the hotel has an old world atmosphere and nicely appointed rooms. the hotel offers two restaurants and a bar. the hotel bar is a great place to entertain business associates. the jefferson offers all of the amenities of a first class hotel. a great place to stay for the business traveler and tourist to richmond. expensive.

Directions: midtown.

• gipper84's Profile Photo

Fanciest Hotel in Richmond

The Jefferson is by far the nicest hotel in Richmond. It was built in the late 1890's and has survived a century or more. On our day trip Nat and I made sure we made a stop in this must see hotel. The Jefferson Hotel has housed people like FDR, Ronald Reagan, Bruce Willis, and other famous presidents, actors, and high affluent members of society. It is world class service at its best. The rooms are the most luxourious rooms you will find in many hotels. It is very spacious, but with the space comes the price. The dining area is phenomenal. It is rated 5 stars and is only one of its kind in all of Richmond. The service blows you away from the entrance, to the checkin, to the bell hops and room service. The hotel offers a tons of amenties including an amazing pool, that is like no other, and everything else you could possibly need. The main lobby is full of history , which only helps add to the appreciation you walk away with about the hotel. It is by far the nicest hotel, and a must see even if you are not staying there.

Unique Quality: The most unique quality is the grand staircase which you must see. It is just breathtaking. Walking down those steps reminds me of when Doug Wilder the nation's first black governor was elected and walked down those same stairs for his gubernatorial inaguration party. It is histoy alive and well and just captivates you like nothing you could ever imagine.

• Hopkid's Profile Photo

THE Place to Stay in Richmond

I have not stayed at the hotel since I live here but we do visit it on occassion for functions, to view the Christmas decorations, and to frequent the restaurants. The Sunday champagne brunch is fabulous!

The hotel is a historic building and has been a part of the downtown skyline since 1895. It fell into disrepair at one point and served as a transient hotel. However it was rescued and now is one of only 23 hotels to have a Mobile Five Star and AAA Five Diamond rating. In addition, their main restaurant, Lemaire, boasts a AAA Five Diamond rating as well.

Unique Quality: All the service and amenities one can expect in a class establishment. If you have the money, you can't go wrong staying here. It's right in the middle of the city and is even worth a visit just to check out the spectacular lobby and common areas (see photo on my Richmond page).

Directions: Downtown two blocks east of Boulevard

• matcrazy1's Profile Photo

Top accommodation

This hotel built in 1895 advertises itself as one of top 22 hotels in the USA. Although I didn't sleep there (guess why), I must admit that its interior design looks very charming and luxurious. And the aroma of the elegant old-world is in the air.

Anyway, even if I had at least $250 (+ taxes and tips) to spend I would have chosen to spend it on other attractions in and around Richmond.

Unique Quality: Amazing, old and rich interior design especially of Palm Court and Rotunda lobby (more in my Must See Activities tips).

Famous guests including:
    - Henry Ford,
    - Elvis Presley,
    - Frank Sinatra,
    - Richard Gere
    and many others including 11 U.S. presidents (Reagan and both Bushs recently). No VT-ers there yet.

Price - the hotel is surely expensive but... there are special packages from $195 (add tax and tips you pay) per night, not that bad as for such place.

Directions: Here.

• Historic Hotel Downtown

This is a fabulous hotel. If you have ever seen Gone With the Wind... you know the staircase? It's the same. The Jefferson is in a central spot near the James River and Virginia Commonwealth University. The rooms are all beautiful and the Sunday Brunch is to die for.

Unique Quality: It is one of the most historic hotels in Richmond. Although many buildings sit around it now and the view is blocked a bit, the river and cannal walk are but a few short blocks away.

Directions: Central Down town Richmond. Near major high ways, River, university, and downtown night life

• acemj's Profile Photo

Fancy Shmancy!

Well, since I can't afford to stay in a place like this, it's more of a "must-see activity" for me, but if you can afford it, by all means, go for it. The Jefferson Hotel has been around since 1895 and a national historic landmark.

Inside the hotel, you'll find a beautiful rotunda and the Edward Valentine statue of Thomas Jefferson, which is famous for losing it's head in a fire in 1901.

Unique Quality: Nat and I walked around the lobby and I checked out the prices at the restaurant located adjacent to the lobby. The average entree was about $40 so we decided that we weren't THAT hungry.

• b1bob's Profile Photo

Get treated like royalty in Richmond

Opened in 1895, the Jefferson Hotel is one of only 22 hotels to simultaneously earn the Mobil 5 star and the AAA 5 diamond rating. The Jefferson comes with rich tapestries, antique replica furniture, false marble columns, 70-foot (22 m.) high ceilings, and stain glass. Aside from the more than 200 luxury rooms and suites, the Jefferson Hotel also boasts a AAA 5 diamond restaurant called Lemaire.

Unique Quality: As a wedding gift, my brother got a night at the Jefferson Hotel- in the presidential suite, no less. The presidential suite pictured (in a borrowed photo from my brother) is 1800 square feet, 4 rooms, each with original (1895) woodworking. The parlour has a baby grand piano, original fireplace mantel and French doors leading to the marble balcony overlooking historic Franklin Street. The next room has a dining area with table for 8 with more seating. The kitchen has a microwave, wet bar and refrigerator. The master bedroom has a four-poster king size bed, writing desk and third fireplace. The marbled bath has an oversize jacuzzi tub, separate shower and double sinks. It goes for $1800 per night.

More about The Jefferson Hotel

If you can stay at the...

by svillegirl

If you can stay at the Jefferson Hotel. This hotel is reminesant to the European Botique hotels. It's rich history and beauty make it a must!

Don't miss Sunday brunch here!

Hotel Jefferson

by b1bob about Hotel Jefferson

The Jefferson is the place in Richmond where all kinds of VIPs stay. At these prices, only they can afford it. The hotel is so well-appointed that it becomes a must see activity as well as a place to stay if you want to see how the other half lives. If the staircase in the photo looks familiar, it was the one filmed in Gone With the Wind.

A truly remarkable experience - GO! You'll love it...

by TripAdvisor Member jnmchenry

I've stayed at the Jefferson Hotel now twice in the past six months. I took my parents over the summer, and decided to return to see it decorated for Christmas - a little mini-holiday.

The Jefferson is a destination all by itself! If you've never stayed at a truly fine hotel, treat yourself. You won't be sorry.

Service is superb, but they never seem to have "hand out" for tips! Now that is class.

I stayed in a suite (last trip) and a regular room, and both were great! I don't have a burning need to stay in a suite now that I've stayed in their "oversized" regular rooms.

I did computer work sitting in the beautful lobby. It was beautiful, and there was high-speed internet access (wireless). Only trouble - sometimes it picked up two wireless networks. One for the lobby and one for their conference areas. Just moving a little helped that problem.

Use the limo service. It's a great way to get around Richmond. The concierge's desk is very helpful. They even suggested Joe's - a little "hole in the wall, good food" type of neighborhood place. We loved the hotel restaurant, but needed something different for dinner. We had the package with breakfast included, and it was a beautiful breakfast buffet each morning.

A trip to the Jefferson Hotel isn't complete unless you work out in the gym. Free bottled water and fruit, newspapers, etc. There is a trainer on duty to help you.

Another thing about the Jefferson - they don't nickel and dime you. Great high-speed wireless is included, so is the health club, limo service, etc. Once you're there - life is complete... I think you could basically live off the breakfast buffet as "brunch" without much else to eat during the day. Bottled water and fruit is at the gym. One evening we had the limo take us downtown to the restored area for a bowl of potato soup at the Irish pub. Perfect! We didn't come home from our Richmond trip feeling "stuffed", just well fed.

Bottom line - GO! You'll find yourself looking for specials and excuses to go again. I know we do. ;-)

together with Nat at Jefferson Hotel, Richmond, VAtogether with Nat at Jefferson Hotel, Richmond, VA

ROTUNDA OF JEFFERSON  HOTEL, RICHMONDROTUNDA OF JEFFERSON HOTEL, RICHMOND

ROTUNDA OF JEFFERSON  HOTEL, RICHMONDROTUNDA OF JEFFERSON HOTEL, RICHMOND

SKYLIGHT OF JEFFERSON HOTEL, RICHMONDSKYLIGHT OF JEFFERSON HOTEL, RICHMOND

Where should we stay?

by kbcfarmer

I am surprising my husband with a trip to Richmond to see one of the Friday night concerts on Brown's Island. I would love to know what are some cool places to stay that are near there.

by Foundryman1

I stay at the Cmmonwealth Park Suites when I'm in Richmond because they let me bring my dog.Its across from the Capital building.I've been going to the National Theater to see shows lately-Who are you seeing at Browns?

by kbcfarmer

Zach Brown Band. My husband loves them, it's a surprise for him.

How close is this hotel?

by Foundryman1

hmmm I'd have to look that up.the innsbruck pavilion shows are supposed to be good too but I've never been to one-Friday nights I think

by Foundryman1

Thats not far at all.Lots of good resteraunts there in the Shocko area.
there a marriot and the crowne plaza too.The commonwealth park suites aren't much more expensive but they have a living room to stretch out in.

by Hopkid

The Crowne Plaza is the closest to Brown's Island (only a couple of blocks). Other places you might consider are the Berkeley Hotel or the Omni Hotel, both in Shockoe Slip just a few blocks away, and the newly-opened Hilton Garden Inn up on Broad and Fifth. Across Broad from that is the downtown Marriott.

I've only ever stayed at the Berkeley but it is a nice boutique-style hotel.

Of course there's also the venerable Jefferson Hotel which isn't far from BI either. Definitely good for a splurge!

Comments