The Massad House Hotel

11 North 4th Street, Richmond, Virginia, 23219, United States

• jbel2879's Profile Photo

A little scary...

I feel guilty writing this review because the man who owns Massad House is the nicest man! He was so kind when I checked out that I didn't have the guts to tell him how sketchy my room was and how schkeevy I found the bathroom in my room.

I was in Richmond for a night only - I squeezed in two incredibly busy days at the Museum of the Confederacy (see my review in must-see attractions). My well-meaning host at the MOC told me that he thought I'd do fine at Massad House because I'm a New Yorker and I'm gritty and tough. Apparently he overestimated my tough skin! Massad House is in a slightly out-of-the-way neighborhood. There really weren't that many places to eat near it, and there was a lot of construction when I was there. The whole place was kind of smoky smelling (well, welcome to Richmond!) and my room was entirely scarily decorated. Honestly, there were scary pictures of treeless forests and wells on hills - see the movie the Ring for imagery! There was no heat so they gave me a space heater - I was freaking freezing. There was no hot water in the morning, and the bathroom was kind of gross.

Unique Quality: Well, it we're talking unique - the whole place was an experience I won't forget! The man who owns Massad House is a sweetheart...he's the most unique, great thing about it. I just wouldn't stay here if you are a woman traveling alone during the cold months of the year. I didn't feel at all comfortable and got almost no sleep. In the future, I will probably use priceline.com and stay in one of the chain hotels like a Holiday Inn.

Comments