Roanoke Hotels

• Over60 profile photo Over60
  • Reviews: 138

2 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Sheraton Hotel and Conference Center: A Disappointment

My wife and I picked this place for a weekend getaway because of a favorable discount price. Although it was decent value for the money (but only at the discount price!), we found that the property really does not live up to its billing as a four star hotel. Everything is clean and well kept, the service was fine, and there is a nice indoor pool. On the other hand the furniture, covered in some latter day version of Naugahyde, looked more like what one would expect in a two star hotel, not a four star, and there was no newsstand and only a very basic shop. The worst feature was the restaurant--which was really nothing more than an overpriced sports bar with an undistinguished menu and food that was, at best, only slightly above average. Absolutely no hint of elegance or style here, with sports memorabilia and big screen TVs all around, and the kind of service one would expect at a mid-range chain restaurant. There are no other dining alternatives in the hotel except for a kiosk serving coffee and breakfast snacks, which was unattended during most of our visit. So if you think you're getting something like the New York Hilton for the four stars, forget it.

None. It's really a humdrum place.

• Opinion of Price: more expensive than average
  • Related to: Family Travel, Business Travel
  • Written January 15, 2011

• jennyrobot profile photo jennyrobot
  • Reviews: 3

3 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Howard Johnson: Big Rooms & reasonable rates

Summer 2004:
The staff was very friendly and nice. The pool was huge and there was a small kiddie pool. A continental breakfast was included in our rate. Our room had a mini fridge & microwave, and the room decor was nice, but the hotel grounds are older and failing. Based on our singlar stay, I couldn't say if it is falling apart or slowly being built back up. Still, the rooms were clean and quiet.
The hotel is near a great range of dining choices and a large upscale grocery store - maybe a Kroger's?
There were a lot of construction workers in residence during our stay, and this mat be seasonal or due to roadwork that was being done nearby.

HUGE open area on property hilltop, would be great for outdoor games, reception, etc.

BIG rooms.

Convenient to dining, interstate, and attractions - downtown Roanoke was about 20 minutes away, but as we were traveling on I-81 that was just fine for our needs.

• Opinion of Price: less expensive than average
  • Related to: Family Travel, Budget Travel, Road Trip
  • Written January 16, 2006

• HotSpotJ profile photo HotSpotJ
  • Reviews: 512
Patrick Henry Hotel: A Piece of Roanoke History

To begin with, if you are looking for a plush decor, or even a Grand hotel, with all the amenities and design of yesteryear with a moderrn twist, this IS NOT a place you would want to stay. Built in 1925, this hotel has a beautiful lobby with period antiques and a very nice downtown location- but it is in dire need of restoration. I'd think it would be a great project investment for a bored millionaire. The rooms here are plenty, 117 with 31 suites, but they are in pitiful condition. I have passed by this place hundreds of times, and for the first time 2 weeks ago I walked in, and went up to the 10th floor.... while walking around I got a strange feeling, an eerie feeling. Sure enough, I search online and there has been numerous ghost sitings here over the years. I listed a link below for one of them, just scroll down to Roanoke.

The unique quality of this place is also its own undoing- its OLD. It actually FEELS haunted. Maybe people from the Old countries in Europe are used to that eerie feeling but we here are not....the place could be so much more than it is, as it is across from a park and very close to downtown nightlife.. would someone please restore this historic landmark?

• Opinion of Price: N/A