Holiday Inn Express Richmond Airport

491 International Centre Dr, (formerly Wingate Inn), Sandston, Virginia, 23150, United States
HIExpress.com Travelocity Booking.com

More about Richmond

The Virginia state sealThe Virginia state seal

library in the Maggie Walker Houselibrary in the Maggie Walker House

Entire Virginia Military Institute student bodyEntire Virginia Military Institute student body

Red 88 BuffetRed 88 Buffet

Places for good Photography

by bokaa

I'm new to Richmond.. moved here in last November.
I'm photographer by hobby.. wish to know if there are good places I can visit for birds/flowers/wildlife/sunset etc in Richmond city.

by mccalpin

I can't remember if I've been in Richmond (I think I just drove on the bypass on the way to/from Alexandria and Williamsburg), but you might check out these links:

Bill

by xymmot

If you are refering to Richmond, Virginia, there are many places to photgraph if you have a car. Church hill above the bottom is a good site for sunsets as well as city skylines. There is Maymont that have flowers and aniamal exhibits. There is Lewis Ginter botanica gardens. remember the beach and the mountains is less than two hours away in either direction.There is a Richmond guide that is given out by Ricmond tourist bureau. It is very helpful with a section call explore. They give to a idea of what to see in the surrounding area. the web site listed is (RichmondGuide.com) You can pick this up at the airport, or any major hotel conciegre.

by bokaa

Thanks for the tips.
Church hill .. any specific location you suggest to take sunsets/skyline photographs?
Yeah .. I'm trying to gather as much as info about places around Richmond using interent. Thought of taking local help to know Richmond better from photograpy perspective so posted on this site..
Thanks again for your help.

Travel Tips for Richmond

From the State Capitol Steps

by acemj

This is a view of downtown Richmond from the steps of the state Capitol. VT member b1bob's city is full of Civil War era historical markers and monuments and the area around the Capitol grounds in particularly interesting. (sorry about the dark photo)

Biggest VT Meeting in Richmond

by b1bob

The only reason I didn't post this as an official VT meeting is that I wasn't sure until the last minute we would be able to pull it off. For once, things went pretty much according to original plan. David and I were going to tour Carytown in any case, but there were two variables. First, because Lee gipper84 was traveling early from the Northern Neck the timing was uncertain until that morning. Second, because of the uncertain timing, I didn't know what to tell Andy Hopkid until after I heard from Lee. It turned out well, we rung Andy on Lee's mobile phone as we approached our original eating destination Nacho Mama's and almost collided as Andy doesn't look much like his VT passport photo, in my opinion. The only wrinkle in plans, in my opinion for the better, was that we decided to eat at Double T's Barbecue. David, Lee, Andy, and I spent a good hour and a half together eating and swapping VT and other stories. Hopefully, Richmond's VT contingent can get together and show one of y'all from out of town a good time. Andy, Lee, and I know where the good restaurants are and we know the history of the place, so tell us when you'll be in town.

en español, em português, en français

Nat and southern hospitality

by matcrazy1

I was always treated very well by natives in Richmond, Virginia and the South. I was surprised by very, very nice welcome wherever and whenever I came. Natives always wanted to speak with me and were interested who I am, what I do in their city, town or village and why I visit it. They usually started the conversation with simple southern version of "how are you" which sounded like "hi do?". I could write a book about their warm, very warm welcome and their hospitality. It was extremely nice. I am speechless...

It started in Richmond where Nat (b1bob) welcomed us (me + Urszula = matcrazy0, my wife) like we were his brother and sister. Shortly we became real, not only virtual friends... Later on during my trip Nat helped us a lot many times sending very helpful faxes and e-mails to my hotels/motels with his suggestions, advice and directions to various exciting points of interest. My trip would be much less interesting and I would skip many, many places without his help. Enough said... Thank you, Nat, my friend.

Now, I only worry whether I am able to do the same for him during his trip to Poland. I will try, no doubt about that.

Mudslide Pie (Jefferson Hotel recipe)

by b1bob

Icing:
2 cups whipping cream
2 ounces Irish cream liqueur
2 tablespoons chocolate syrup

Crust: Preheat oven to 350°. Lightly spray a 10" springform pan with nonstick vegetable coating. In a medium bowl, mix cookie crumbs with melted butter. Pack over bottom of prepared pan. Bake in preheated oven 6 minutes. Set aside to cool.

Filling: In medium saucepan, bring liqueur, cream, and butter to a boil. Remove heat and mix in cookie crumbs. Fold in melted chocolate. When thoroughly incorporated, fold in whipped topping. Pour into cooled pie crust, filling pan to the top and spreading evenly. Freeze for 90 minutes

Icing: Whip cream until very stiff; fold in liqueur and syrup. Remove rim from springform pan. Spread icing evenly over top and sides. Refrigerate at least 20 minutes before serving.

St. John's Church

by gipper84

Visiting St. John's church is a must do for anyone who visits Richmond. St. John's church is one of the most historic churches in the entire country. This is the famous place where Patrick Henry gave his "give me liberty or give me death speech." This church is one of the oldest architectural designs of Richmond. Most bus tours make sure they stop here because of the rich history it brings out. There are daily tours given at the church and the hosts where traditional old american attire from the 1700's. If you get lucky, you may be able to go one Sunday when they actually do the reenactment of the actual speech itself. The burial grounds surrounding the church are quite historic and lay rest 2 former Virginia governors. Many other notable people of Richmond are buried here, and the tombstones are feats themselves, with some of the most elaborate designs. There is a small gift shop behind the church which sells gifts for family and historical gifts symbolizing Patrick Henry and the church. This church is still open for service and I would highly recommend this for anyone visiting Richmond.

Comments