Skyland Resort

Mile 41.7 Skyline Drive, Shenandoah National Park, Luray, Virginia, 22835, United States

Expedia.com Booking.com Priceline.com

• Skyland Resort

We were looking forward to a wonderful stay in the mountains at the package on the web site and were surprised when we arrived and they were absolutely clueless about the package. The person checking us in took 45 minutes and had no idea what we were talking about. We were supposed to stay in a lodge and were put in a cabin and at first were charged for the horse back ride. We were asked if WE knew what hike we were supposed to go on?! There was no wine or cheese in the room. NOTHING went right. It was rainy so the horseback ride was cancelled. We checked out the next day.

Unique Quality: I am sure the view would have been wonderful, but it was overcast and rainy and of course not their fault. But without the view...

• krzykrl's Profile Photo

Rustic Charm

I have not been to many national parks, but I have stayed in hotels in two of them. If you are not looking to stay in one of the more famous great lodges, the parks have comfortable accommodations. This is absolutely true of the Skyland Resort in the Shenandoah National Park.

The resort is named Skyland after the section of the park where the main road (an extension of the Blue Ridge Parkway) reaches it's highest elevation in the park. The rooms are housed in row houses so each room has a view of the Shenadoah Valley. From outward appearances it is clear the resort had been expanded over the years.

You enter your room from the parking lot side and immediately are confronted with the opposite wall which is large windows and a door to a private deck overlooking the valley to the west. The room was clearly decorated years earlier, but it just adds to the camp-like quality and reminds you you are in a national wildlife area.

The amenities include a television and a coffee maker. The bathroom shower is equipped with a soap and shampoo dispenser in lieu of the usual basket of complimentary soap, shampoo, and lotion.

After a day of hiking and dinner in the lodge's restaurant, it was very pleasurable to kick back on the deck and take in the view in the cool evening breeze.

My one disappointment was probably very predictable. The national park is along the ridge line of the Appalachian Mountains. The valley below is not a park at all but contains several thriving communities. At night, these communities light-up as much as any town might. As beautiful as such a sight may be, after being surrounded by nature all day it seemed anticlimactic. So I turned in early as is typical when spending a day hiking in the sun.

Unique Quality: The Skyland Resort is actually a complex of several cabins, row houses, a lodge, and a restaurant. The restaurant is basically where you will get all your meals in the area. The food is good and hearty and the restaurant, as with the hotel rooms, has great views of the Shenandoah Valley.

Directions: National Park and Wilderness area.

• Weekend package

You can get a package that for example gives you 3 Days and 2 nights plus breakfast and dinner. You may order anything on the menu and its paid for!

Unique Quality: Great views of the Shenandoah Vally from your balcony.

Directions: The "Drive" starts in Front Royal, VA

• Shihar's Profile Photo

Lodging in the Mountains

We stayed in Skyland Resort for 2 nights. We booked at standard room which was adequate for our stay since we hardly were in the room.

Unique Quality: The view from the balony was wonderful! It was a landscape of the hazy cascading mountains with distant city lights visible from afar.

The rooms have no TV, phone, or internet connection. We were aware of this in advance so we entertained ourselves with a couple of board games and a radio.

The walls in the rooms were paper thin so you were very likely to hear all events in your neighbor's room.

Directions: Located in the central region of the park, about 10 miles north of Big Meadows.

More about Skyland Resort

We LOVED Skyland Resort!!

by TripAdvisor Member DTCG

My husband and I just got back from a 3 night stay at the Skyland Resort. I was a little worried about staying there after reading such mixed reviews on this website. I am happy to say that we had a fabulous time and wished we could have stayed longer! I think that the people who have left poor reviews for Skyland had to have been unaware of the resort's history and age. It was not an "updated" resort but for us that was part of it's charm. Our room was clean, comfortable, and cozy. We had a wonderful view of the valley from our balcony. They also had a recycling bin in our room for paper, plastic and cans, which I thought was great! The food was good (I have a new found love for blackberries), we ended up eatting most of our meals in the Tap Room. I was happy to see that they offered healthy meals with organic products. The wait staff was super friendly -although they were sometimes hard to find.
My husband and I have already planned to come back next fall and I'd love to bring my mom up in the spring for her birthday. If you are thinking about planning a trip to Skyland Resort, expect a preserved historic atmosphere with rooms that are basic and cozy. Just because it's simple doesn't mean it can't be great!

A rustic feel in a beautiful setting

by TripAdvisor Member tankertonians

Stayed at Skyland Resort for one night on a trip along Skyline Drive and found it comfortable given its location. Nicely laid out and landscaped, although the longish walk back from the restaurant/bar to the room at night was a bit spooky. Very quiet room with lovely view from balcony. Thought the restaurant was overpriced and the waiter service was not brilliant. Would like to have enjoyed the entertainment in the bar but it started too late after a long day's drive.

Enjoyed the stay aat Skyland

by TripAdvisor Member yellowstone1

We stayed at Skyland Resort, with our granddaughters, on November 5th. We stayed in a room with two beds in a building next to the front desk area and dining room buildings. We knew not to expect too much from the rooms (unless they had been renovated this year like the ones at Big Meadow Lodge) so we were not disappointed when we checked in (we have stayed at Skyland several times in the past 10 years) to our room. It is a basic, no frills room with a small bathroom, no tv or phone (which was fine). We spent much of the time playing games by the fireplace or in the dining room area. We had a nice view of the valley and the leaves were still somewhat in their fall colors. The food was average to above average but one must remember it is in a National Park. We enjoyed the entertainment in the Tap Room and had a swell visit. This was our fourth time, this year, staying in Shenandoah NP (the other three were at Big Meadows) and we will return again, several times, next year. You do not spend much time in the room so get out and enjoy the scenery and wildlife and the hikes and waterfalls.

Rustic but comfortable

by TripAdvisor Member alexandria07

We spent a quick weekend from DC at the Skyland Resort and were pleasantly surprised. The rooms are fairly basic but clean and ours had a fantastic view of the valley from the patio. We stayed in a delux room so we had a TV and two queen beds which were very comfortable. The room also had a coffee maker and a hair dryer. I would note that, while our room appeared recently renovated, we could hear some footsteps and plumbing noise from the room upstairs. I would probably try to stay upstairs next time.

The resort restaurant has a decent breakfast and a very nice dinner menu and the dining room has beautiful views. The blackberry ice cream, a resort specialty, is not to be missed. While the weather wasn't great during our stay, we could see how this would be a nice family place during the summer and autumn months.

The Skyland Resort is a nice getaway from DC - inexpensive, clean and close to hiking and all that the Shenandoah Park has to offer.

It's the setting that's important

by TripAdvisor Member NewJerseyMember

Skyland Resort is located on a large campus on the northern section of Skyline Drive. The facilities are rustic and basic; however, one should keep the perspective that the lodge is a front row seat to incredible valley vistas, spectacular foliage and a pristine park. The serenity and tranquility are all consuming. The view of the valley from the mini-patio outside the room is not one you forget. The patio is furnished with a small table and a couple of chairs. The room was furnished with a queen size bed, two reading chairs, a table, dresser and TV. The furnishings are modest but comfortable. The bathroom was small but adequate given the locale. The room rate was $150 including taxes and charges. Check in and dining service is efficient although lacking personal consideration. Breakfast for two was $23 inclusive of a 20% gratuity. While it is very basic, Skyland’s location in the park more than compensates for a night or two at this rustic venue.

Skyland Resort - Dining hallSkyland Resort - Dining hall

Summer Fun!

by LetsGoTogether

Hello everyone! My boyfriend and I are looking to do some traveling this summer and we would love to get feedback from all of you on some great romantic getaways=D I came across The Homestead in Virginia. It looks like a very lovely mountain resort. Have any of you been there? I’d really love to hear suggestions! Thanks everyone. What places have you traveled to?

Re: Summer Fun!

by ronin6

For the best romantic getaway i suggest you look at the Shenandoah National Park. During that season, (may be a bit early) you might catch spectacular views and the famous colors of the leaves changing. The place I recommend is on Skyline Drive called Skyland Resort & Big Meadows Lodge. It offers a great stay with cabins and modern amenities along with wonderful little hikes to great views of the valley. There is one trail somewhat hidden i wish I could explain how to get to but I might just end up getting you lost ;) If you stay there also check out the Luray caverns and the natural bridge. Hope this helps

Re: Summer Fun!

by LetsGoTogether

ronin6: i'll definitely have to check out shenandoah park with my beau, does that ever sound romantic! Same goes for the skyland resort-- being alone in nature with your guy is just one of those things that gets the birds and the bees going, lol.

ex-mainer: i do enjoy wine; however, my guy does not. more of a beer pounding kind of guy. we'll probably have to skip on the wineries, but thanks for the suggestion!

the reason i asked about the homestead is because everyone over here at work is talking about it. there's this sweepstakes going on at Gourmet mag and they're giving away free trips to The Homestead. all you gotta do is watch a short vid clip and by the end you'll know if you've won a trip for 2 to this top resort (or others, hotel del in san diego is another). we're talking, you'll know INSTANTLY if you've won.

who doesn't love a free trip to spend with their honey?
also, what do you guys think of that funny clip where the chef talks about used condoms? lololololol.

Comments