Essex Inn

203 Duke St, PO Box 2038, Tappahannock, Virginia, 22560, United States

More about Tappahannock

Store in the restaurantStore in the restaurant

St. John's Episcopal ChurchSt. John's Episcopal Church

Essex InnEssex Inn

Custom House from the streetCustom House from the street

Travel Tips for Tappahannock

Tappahannock's Rivahfest

by b1bob

This relatively recent tradition has allowed Tappahannock (a riverside town 40 miles, 66 km. northeast of Richmond) to shine every third Saturday in June since 2003. I had thought about going in 2005, but something had come up at the last minute. It came together this year when Jimmy Shaw brazilnut30 planned to go with my mama and me. Lee also planned to meet Jessi there before they went on to the Northern Neck. The website told us the traffic would be terrrible and recommended that we park in the Tappahannock Town Center parking lot to catch a shuttle bus (which happened to be an Essex County school bus) which goes back and forth from there to the Beale Church on Queen Street. (That was my first go of a school bus since round about 1985 when Lee was wee.) There were plenty of vendors that sold everything under the sun. There was also plenty of food from which to choose. If I hadn't had a cold or allergies, I would have splurged and eaten some local seafood, but Jimmy and I settled on a chili cheese hot dog and a corn dog respectively. There was also plenty of things for little children to do, like a play park and a mini train ride. I just knew Lee would enjoy all that if Jessi only gave him time to play. Before we met Lee, Jessi, and her mama, I had two unexpected encounters with people I knew. The first was from an old high school friend (Pete Trible) who has a law office in town. The second was with Carol Ware, my English teacher from 10th grade who remembered me after all these years. It was a really hot day, but it was a fun trip to a historic little town alongside the river.

On the Rappahannock

by grandmaR

Tappahannock which is the principle town and county seat of Essex County, dates back to a 17th century port settlement. It is right on the Rappahannock River - houses which face the highway have the river in their back yard. Rappahannock means "rise and fall" of water, so Tappahannock, became "town on the rise and fall of water"

I first bacame a visitor to Tappahannock when I would drive up Route 17 from where we would drive from our home in Norfolk to visit our parents in the Baltimore area. It was a long drive which took most of the day, and virtually the only places to stop and eat were Lowery's in Tappahannock, a corn dog stand in Glouster Court House, and La Plata across the Potomac in Maryland.

The hospital, retirement home and Lowery's Restaurant are among the principal employers in the town. It is on US Routes 17 and 360.

Captain John Smith met a frosty reception from the local inhabitants in 1607 here in Tappahannock on his first visit. He was not allowed to come ashore and had to retreat to his ship.

In 1645 Bartholomew Hoskins patented the Tappahannock site, which became known, at various times as Hobbs His Hole, Hobb's Hole, the short-lived New Plymouth, and finally the Indian name Tappahannock. In 1682, Jacob Hobbs established a trading post in the vicinity of present day Tappahannock. The town was comprised of 50 acres divided into half acre squares.

Now it is still one of the main towns between Port Royal on US 301 and the Hampton Roads area. Tappahannock has a historic district and there are Saturday walking tours.

Comments