Barclay Towers Resort Hotel

BEST WESTERN PLUS Oceanfront Virginia Beach
Orbitz.com Priceline.com Booking.com

Satisfaction Average

More about Virginia Beach

Beans and rice sideBeans and rice side

Coast Guard boys working on a boat for the museumCoast Guard boys working on a boat for the museum

Museum through windshield against sunMuseum through windshield against sun

inside the AMC 18-theater complex at Lynnhaveninside the AMC 18-theater complex at Lynnhaven

by jewelgal

We will be driving I-95 most of the way - we do NOT want to go thru any tunnel esp. the chesap. bridge tunnel. Can we get to VA Bch without going thru any tunnel, even the Baltimore tunnel and the Hamptons rd tunnel?

Can you review our GPS directions and let us know if it does or doesn't have tunnels on the route?? We'd REALLY appreciate it!

Here are the directions as per our GPS:
I plugged it into the GPS , can u check the route to see if we go through tunnels?
1. I-95 South

11. Left on First Colonial Rd

12. Left on Wisconsin Ave

13. Continue on I-264 E

14. Right on Atlantic Ave

Re: First timers Driving From NY: Can we get to VA Beach WITHOUT going thru any tunnels?

by grandmaR

I can't follow your GPS directions, but in order to avoid tunnels in NYC you can either go across the GW Bridge or go further north and go over the Tappen Zee Bridge. Then

14. Take the I-95 S exit toward Newark/Baltlmore
15. Follow signs for I-95 S/Del. Turnpike/Baltimore and merge onto I-95 S
Partial toll road
Entering Maryland 56.5 mi

In Baltimore there are two ways to avoid the tunnels on the east side of the I695 Beltway - either go around I-695 to the west and take I-95 south, or go east over the Key Bridge. For the Key Bridge option

16. Take exit 64 on the left to merge onto I-695 E toward Essex
Partial toll road 22.3 mi

Then get back either on I-95 or 295. When you get to Richmond take I295 around to the east and take I-64 east. You get off on US 17

24. Take exit 258A to merge onto US-17 S/J Clyde Morris Blvd 1.7 mi
25. Turn left at Jefferson Ave 4.0 mi
26. Turn right at US-17 S/Mercury Blvd
Continue to follow US-17 S

This takes you across the James River Bridge

Then stay on US 17 and I-64 the Hampton Roads Beltway all the way around Norfolk. This avoids the Midtown Tunnel on I-264 and the Downtown Tunnel on US 13 in Norfolk. This will take back to I-264 which takes you right to VA Beach

by bocmaxima

Grandma's directions seem good for getting you around the tunnels. The big issue with not using the Bay Bridge-Tunnel is that it routes you through both Baltimore and DC, the latter of which has a serious traffic problem at almost all hours of the day and night, especially on the Beltway (495). Just doing this route, not even taking traffic into consideration, will likely add almost an hour to your drive. You can get around Baltimore's traffic by using the Bay Bridge to Annapolis (although I think this will add even more time), but it's really DC that you have to worry about.
In Baltimore, take I-695 south over the Key Bridge. There's a toll, but it's a lot shorter than the northern beltway. Lots of trucks though.

by grandmaR

You don't HAVE to go around I-495. When you get off the Key Bridge in Baltimore, Take the I-97 S exit toward Annapolis/Bay Bridge
3. Merge onto Interstate 895A S
4. Merge onto I-97 S
5. Take the exit onto US-301 S/US-50 W toward Washington/Woodmont
6. Take exit 13A to merge onto US-301 S/Blue Star Memorial Hwy/Crain Hwy toward Richmond. Continue to follow US-301 S/Crain Hwy across the bridge into Virginia.

You can either cut off and go down US 17 in Port Royal or go on through Fort AP Hill to the Bowling Green Bypass/State Route 207 Bypass
8. Continue straight onto VA-207 W/Rogers Clark Blvd 10.0 mi
9. Merge onto I-95 S via the ramp to Richmond, and then use I-64.

Travel Tips for Virginia Beach

Time of the year you are visiting it key!

by vbeatso

July/August:
If you want crowds and crazy nightlife come in July and August these are the busiest months. However there is a lot to do at these times as well, they have free music act and entertainment every night till 10pm down Atlantic Ave., plus bigger acts going on in the stages. They have music, outdoor movies, magic shows, dance artists, storytellers, etc... Plus the carnivals are in full swing and Wed and Sun they have fireworks and festivals of all kinds. Plus the beach is warmest at this time. So you can see why the crowds are here at that time.

April-June and Sept is much less busy and there are many very warm days to spend here. There is subsequently less to do but you will have the beach to yourself for the most part many locals come out and enjoy themselves and many Atlantic stores and restaurants are opening up and are in full swing, Meters are out at this time and tickets and tows will abound if you park in the wrong spots. It is still very warm at times during these times. You can get better deals at this time. Sept. can be pretty nice and the Neptune Festival is great.

Jan-April and Oct.-Dec are virtually free of tourists so if you like solitude and having the beach completely yours for the takeing it is the time for you. Plus there are no meters and you can park anywhere for as long as you want. It never gets too cold in VB and any of these months can have suprise 70 degree weather but it will stay around 50's and sometimes will get just below freezing. Winds can get bad sometimes. You can get great deals at this time since it isn't busy at all. Many stores are closed on Atlantic. You can go Whale Watching at this time. Just don't forget to bring lots of clothing for warm, cool and cold since weather is so unpredictable.

Norfolk Tides "AAA" Baseball

by Winch

In neighboring Norfolk, you'll find the Tides on many warm summer nights. The home of the top farm club of the Baltimore Orioles, Harbor Park is a first-rate minor-league stadium seating just over 12,000. Tickets are $10 or less, not a bad deal for International League ball. Not many bad seats, either, in this 1960's-vintage stadium. The ballpark food is extensive, mostly delicious and relatively cheap, and you'll find a great selection of moderately priced beers. A smoking area/picnic plaza offers great views along the left field line. And, with a game ticket, you may also visit Hits-at-the-Park, a full service air-conditioned restaurant overlooking right field. You'll need a baseball cap, sunscreen (for day games), and a program.

Fort Story,this is the army...

by sexylady

Fort Story,this is the army base in Virgina and it is north of Virginia Beach.The place to go here if you want the sun and you can also drink on the beach as it is a military beach.I only went once and didn't drink but at least the option is there.

La Fiesta, on shore drive,...

by laxxman

La Fiesta, on shore drive, near the bay bridge.
Great food if you like mexcian All mexican food, is great, just make sure you sit at near the bar, or you will get your alcoholic beverages with more water than alcohol.

Virginia Marine Science...

by marca

Virginia Marine Science Musuem.
They have exhibits of aquatic life specializing in the Chesapeake Bay area. Many of the exhibits are hands on so they are great for kids. They also have a I-Max theater there.

Comments