501 Atlantic Avenue, Virginia Beach, Virginia, 23451, United States

Orbitz.com Booking.com Priceline.com

Satisfaction Poor

• OK, but won't go there again

The good: The outside is really nice looking and they just added a rooftop pool and bar, which was really nice (a little small, though). The location was really nice, being that it had ocean views and private balconies, which was really nice. The staff was friendly mostly, a couple here and there that were grumpy, but for the most part, they were very nice.

The bad: They had this promotion thing going on for another hotel they just built and they wanted us to go look at it. They were going to pay us and give us a free trip, but they were so pushy about it that it turned me off. I then found out that it was a timeshare thing, so by going to look at this other hotel, I assumed we would be harassed to buy into this timeshare. I felt like there was some sort of a catch and they kept pushing me and calling our room to try to push us to go to this viewing, which bothered me. I am on vacation and didn't want to be bothered in a sales pitch. The other issue was the indoor pools were terribly small and we could never swim in it because it was always flooded with people. The worst part was the room itself- When we walked it, I was shocked to see that the shower was right there by the front door with just a cheap curtain covering it (that fell on me later) and the toilet was in this little tiny closet that you could hardly fit in. And there were stains that looked like urine on the floor and bug splattered on the wall. I could also smell smoke when this was supposed to be a non-smoking hotel. The walls were very thin and you could hear EVERYTHING which made it so hard to sleep. Their website didn't explain this odd room layout and lack of privacy for the shower/bathroom as it was not closed off from the room. Also, the shower was a tub that you had to literally climb into because the tub's walls were so high so if you are short (like me) or handicapped, you could get hurt. Overall, I was very disappointed.

More about Beach Quarters Resort

dont stay here

Got here around 4 pm after driving for approx. 8 hours. Room was not ready. Told to walk on the beach for a while while it was prepared. When we got there no towels, or kitchen cloths had to call for them and wait before being about to shower, etc.The air condition leaked the entire week that we were there. My husband put a pan under it to catch some of it but we had to jump over a water soaked patch in the carpet.Room was very small. We were not happy as we traded a week at a 5***** resort for this!!!!! I wrote a letter upon check out of the problems but never heard back.

Not The Best Timeshare

We did a timeshare exchange at the Clarion the week of 4/17/04 to 4/24/04. Upon check-in, we were given the wrong key and room and subsequently walked into a room already occupied. When we returned to the front desk, all they wanted to know was whether the people in the room had seen us because then they'd be down to complain. They never apologized to us for the mistake, inconvenience or embarrassment. After having the situation corrected, we went to the right room. The silverware was spread out on the kitchen counter instead of in the drawer, there were two cracked glasses sitting on the counter, and a blown out light bulb in the bathroom area was sitting on the sink. In checking the kitchen inventory we noticed a few things missing. At check-in we had to sign a paper stating we'd be charged $1 a day for a safe in the room. There was no safe in the room. We went back down to the front desk with our complaints and they took the charge for the safe off of our bill. It took three days for someone to come replace the broken glasses and bring the missing items, but they never took the blown out light bulb or replaced it. The carpet was pretty dirty, but in the hotel's defense, they were in the process of replacing all the carpet and had just not gotten to our unit yet. We were disappointed that the outdoor, rooftop pool was not open even though the temperature was in the 80s the entire week we were there. Be aware that there is a charge for even 1-800 phone calls. The best thing about the "resort" was it's location.

Quiet Location

by TripAdvisor Member Justonia

I stayed at the Clarion 6/12/04-6/19/04 which is the condo week I own there. My room 1008 had new carpet and furniture which was great. I do not consider this a resort but it is a very nice hotel. The bathroom and full kitchen are small. But it is a beachfront hotel so I kind of expect that. All rooms have Balconies overlooking the ocean. I stay on the 10th floor so the view is great, balcony is small. The hotel is located on 5th which is close to the Marina, but it is about 12 blocks from the main action of the strip. Which makes the area less crowded. But there is stuff that goes on down at that end. The trolley stops right in front the the hotel if you don't want to walk or drive. Or you could rent bikes or skates at the hotel and just take off down the boardwalk. The pool is on the roof, it's nothing to get excited about but they do have a small bar and snacks there. And a covered area if you need to get out of the sun for awhile. The indoor pool is small but the kids don't seem to mind. There is a hot tub but the kids jump in and out of it so don't plan on relaxing. They do have pool towels. The parking garage is narrow but I have never hit anything. Luggage carts can be found by the doors of each level of the parking garage so you don't have to unload in front of the lobby. The elevators are slow but so are most at the beach. The beach in front of the hotel is great. Plenty of room in the sand, waves are good. They could update the outdoor shower that they have by the door. It's impossible to use by yourself. As for the hotel staff, they are so so. Most seem to me to be kids just working for the summer. I've never had anybody be rude. Some just don't seem to be with it. But some are extremely nice. Check in has never been a problem. Express check out always seems not to be working. They do make you pay for the safe in your room. $1 a day if used or not. Read the instructions before you try to use it and there won't be a problem, you can use your own code or a credit card to open and close it.
As of June the hotel seemed to be in good shape. They did a great job of repairing after the hurricaines of last years. From other reviews it sounds like this was a slow process.

loved the clarion

Stayed at tha Clarion over july 4.2004. Brand new carpet, sofa bed, and furniture. Everything we were supposed to have in the room was provided. Complaints were taken care of in a timely manner. Everyone was very professional. Parking garage is to small in the exits. If you took your time you would not scrape your car. We put a ford windstar van in it with no problems. Would stay there again. Only negative was a charge for the fitness club that was not listed in any literature from the hotel.

Nice Room - Great Location

by TripAdvisor Member Cher_Erie

This was our second trip to VB. My family of four stayed in a suite and we were very happy all week. The room was clean and the staff was friendly and accommodating. Except for a broken ironing board, and very few outlets, we had no other complaints.

The pool was very busy all week and we observed staff checking pool quality and cleaning up the area frequently.

Located closer to the Inlet, allowed us to walk to dinner and get great food as well as enjoy watching fishing and surfing. It is located in a quieter part of the boardwalk but it was well lit at night. We would definately consider staying here again.

An enjoyable stay at the Clarion

We stayed at the Clarion in August, 2004, and we had a great time. Our room wasn't ready when we arrived, but that was our only complaint. The carpeting was new as was the bedspead. The mattress was firm but comfortable (since it's a pillow top). Everything worked well -- including the elevators. The staff was pleasant and helpful (except for the housekeeping supervisor who said that we would be charged an extra $200 if we didn't vacate our room on time. . .) It may not be the newest hotel on the beach, but it continues to be well maintained and very pleasant to visit. The live music on the beach outside our balcony added greatly to our enjoyment.

Not a Resort...More like a Hotel

First, I want to say...this was supposed to have been my honeymoon spot. Well, my wedding was November 27th and of course it is cold. How about this...there was no heat eventhough it was like 50 degrees outside. This is far from being a resort. Gust services sucked!!! We asked to be moved to a room with heat and she told me well, I think every room is that way. We have had a lot of complaints about the heat. All I can tell you is wait until the morning and I will send someone up. Well we stayed there until 4pm, until we could not take it anymore, and guess what... noone came to fix the heat. So when we checked out, we wanted to inform the other lady on this shift about our experience and basically she was too busy talking to one of her friends on the company's phone. What kind of crap was that....oh yeah the pillows were like sand bags. The best thing in the room was the cold chicken wings from our wedding reception. Please do not waste your money on this place. It cost too much for too little.

This is not a lie...Please believe

Loved the Clarion

Me and my husband truly enjoyed the Clarion. The room was nice and spacious. It is located in a great location. Very Quiet atmosphere. I highly recommend it . We will be going back this summer.

Terrible experience with management

by TripAdvisor Member TravelBear12

My fiancee and I had a very upsetting experience with management at this resort a little over a year ago. And because of how rude and insensitive we found the employees to be, we've vowed never to stay at a Clarion hotel -- or a Choice hotel, for that matter -- again.
In early December 2003, we booked a room at this resort for one night about a week in advance of a road trip to visit relatives in the Virginia Beach area. A few days before the trip, it was clear that a major snowstorm was blowing into the Northeast (all the way from NY down to NC) and it would be unsafe to make the trip. We called the hotel two days before and asked to cancel the reservation due to the inclement weather. The hotel receptionist said nobody was available to handle the cancellation that day but we should call back the next day. We called back early the next day and were told they would cancel the reservation but would still charge us for the room. Any cancellation and refund would have to be made at least five days before arrival. We explained the incoming blizzard, which of course they knew about, but refused to give us a refund or let us even rebook for another weekend. Given normal circumstances, this kind of policy might make sense. But in a major blizzard, it's just plain mean to the customer. We called the hotel back several times and complained and even wrote a letter to Choice hotels about the sheer customer-unfriendliness of this supposed policy. Everyone said basically, "Sorry, but we're taking your money anyway. Come again soon."
It really felt like we were dealing with a big corporation that cares a lot more about its profits than its customers. We'll stay elsewhere, thank you.

HoneyBeeHoneyBee

Elizabeth River - Norfolk/PortsmouthElizabeth River - Norfolk/Portsmouth

sign for Pinboys bowlingsign for Pinboys bowling

Outside the Mariner's Museum in Newport NewsOutside the Mariner's Museum in Newport News

Airport Transfer to Atlantic Ave

by klmousseau

I'm arriving at Norfolk Airport in August and need to get to Atlantic Ave. VA Beach. Any suggestions on the cheapest way to do this? Taxis look like they're 30-$40, a shuttle is $30. Is there public transport?
Thank you!

RE: Airport Transfer to Atlantic Ave

by lmclaughlin1216

Sorry, public transportation is very limited hers.

I am not even sure taxis are so great. I came here for a job interview about 10 years ago and took a cab to a hotel. The driver had multiple passengers and it was more like a shuttle.

I would rent a car personally so you have options. Atlantic Ave is just off the Ocean front in Virginia Beach. The auto rental is either a very short shuttle or they may have even put it into the garage with the new construction? (Did I see that?) Anyway, you drop off your car and it is a short walk to the terminal.

Comments