42nd Street And Atlantic Ave, Virginia Beach, VA 2

Orbitz.com Hotels.com Travelocity

Satisfaction Poor

Rated 20% lower than similarly priced 4 star hotels

• Hotel Makes Money by Rip Off vs. Good Service

I reserved rooms for guests of a wedding party in mid June 2010. I placed the rooms on my credit card and then guests transferred the charges to their billing. I was surpised after the wedding to see a charge on my credit card. The Event Coordinator, Ms Lisa McArthur, stated my guest did not stay at the hotel. I called the front desk and they had a record of the guest stay. Ms McArthur was totally unprofessional in telling me the charges would not be recinded and that I should take up the matter with my credit card company, which I did. A fine reward for giving the hotel 8 roomnights they would have not otherwise had!

• VadimMyasnikov's Profile Photo

The tradition continues...

Unique Quality: Room Service... you gotta order it!!!!

(I was working there, so please don't think it's self-advertisement).

• VA Beach at its best

I found this hotel very clean and the staff was very friendly. They have a kids camp daily in the summer that is free for paid guests of the hotel. My child just loved it.

Unique Quality: Every room has a great view of the ocean. The pool is very clean.

• tpangelinan's Profile Photo

Elegance at it's best

This is one beautiful hotel, built in 1927, excellence in service for over 75 years this resort is top notch. Every thing you could want is there for you and Sunshine is guaranteed, with the sunshine guarantee, if at day has no sun while you are staying with them during the months of June, July & August they will give you a certificate good for a complimentary night in conjunction with a future visit to be used with in 1 year of issue. Beat that!

More about Cavalier Hotel

Poor Management and Staff

We traveled to Virginia Beach in July, with another family. With the experience we had in 5 days, we should have stayed at the newly Hilton. The General Manager Dan very rude and will not recommend to any body. Do not stay there.

Low-Budget, and It Feels Like It

by TripAdvisor Member WhipSmart3

We stayed at the historic Cavalier (up the hill) in August of 2005. The adage "you get what you pay for" applies here.

The price was good, but the hotel was dark, gloomy, and falling into disrepair. It appeared that anything that broke was removed, without being replaced. If a chandelier broke in the lobby/pool/dining-room, it was merely removed and not replaced (they would plaster over the hole where the chandelier used to be), thus the whole hotel was DARK AND GLOOMY.

The pool has four concrete lion's heads which spout water into the pool, but only two of them are working. Wallpaper was peeling in the pool area. Closet doors in the rooms were warped and didn't close properly. The TV had a snowstorm constantly playing on the screen. The sink fixtures were rusting and pitted.

What was annoying was that the whole hotel had pictures showing what the hotel was like in it's heyday. It's depressing to be in a fleabag hotel that shows you how nice it USED to be.

The pictures also show where the chandeliers used to be, and show how much repair work has been ignored.

The breakfast buffet was average, with limited options. You had to ask a waiter if you wanted toast, waffles, or an omelette, but no one ever told us that those items were even available (a fellow guest shared the secret on our last day). FYI, the breakfast buffet in the newer portion of the Cavalier was equally gloomy.

The revolving entry door to the newer hotel was also broken during our entire stay; I'm not sure they ever intended on repairing it.

We ate at the supposedly upscale restaurant at the top of the newer restaurant (since we had $100 of comp money in our package), and it was our worst dining experience of our trip. Think of 'Dennys' uality food at 'Ruth's Chris Steakhouse' prices.

We also were supposed to receive a $25 gas card as part of our package, but they insisted that we had to ask for it when checking out (and not before). Of course, they are counting on people forgetting to ask for the card in the confusion and rush of packing and leaving for home.

That said, all of the employees were friendly. Most of them seemed to be foreign-exchange students, and were enjoyable to talk to.

The beach was nice, and not crowded, and we were able to rent umbrellas and chairs (again, using our comp money).

By the way, Virginia Beach itself was a lot like the Cavalier; run-down and less than upscale. This is not Miami Beach or Tampa. The city-funded entertainment on the boardwalk was embarrassingly amateurish, and the stores seemed to be composed of T-shirt shops and cheap restaurants. (We traveled to some restaurants on the outskirts of town which were very good, however.)

As I said, the Cavalier was low-budget, and felt like it. If I had it to do over again, I would definitely stay somewhere else.

Felt like I just stepped into a F Scott Fitgerald Movie

by TripAdvisor Member PhatChick

We stayed on the Hill and loved the experience. This hotel was obviously a magnificent hotel in it's day. We stayed in room 452. The room was very large and clean. The bathroom also large and plenty of hot water and great water pressure. We did the midweek special and had a free breakfast every morning and $100 in Cavalier bucks to use on beach umbrellas and food. The beach on the hotel is heaven. Very clean and practically private. This is a family hotel. No screaming teens and drunken 20 year olds. The hotel has an indoor olympic size pool that is divine. The pool has giant open windows to let the sunshine and breeze in. The ceiling is glass. It was a pleasure to sit on a wicker chair by the window after a swim and just read a book quietly and enjoy the breeze and sun.

In the evening we enjoyed the hotel's amazing lobbies that house a piano and antique furniture and chandeliers. Yes the hotel is not in it's perfect splendor, but for the price and location, the ambiance is fabulous.

The hotel on the beach seemed also fine. That hotel has a nice sized outdoor pool with lots of chairs. There is also areas nearer to the ocean that have chairs in the grass for moms with babies and seniors that can sit gazing at either the pool or beach and be under a canopy out of the sun.

The $20 gas card upon departure was a nice touch.

I highly recommend this hotel. My daughter and I loved this hotel and will be back.

If you like clean rooms and good service, this may not be for you...

by TripAdvisor Member the_boldens

Took a last minute get-a-way to the Cavalier and I'll never get that night back. Bathrooms were so dirty when we checked in, our 3-year-old refused to go.

They upgraded us to a Presidential Suite...circa 1970. Dated furniture, NO INTERNET IN ROOMS and service (room or other wise) took at least two calls.

Rooms were dirty, A/C was spotty and food was a few notches below Waffle House, minus the $300 per night rate.

There were two bright spots: the bellman, Martin was really nice and the mini-fridge in the rooms worked well. Other than that it pretty much was the pits.

We brought the issues to the management's attention only to be rewarded with a free night stay (with a minimum purchase of one additional night) not to be used between Memorial and Labor Day. Oh, joy.

Oh yeah, No A/C in common areas other than the lobby.

sadly gone down/not reccommended

by TripAdvisor Member civita

i am 49 yrs old and have stayed at the cavalier all of my life. it is so sad that such a grand hotel has gone totally to pot. it is in such need of attention and i am so sad no one has bought it and given it the facelift it so badly needs. if you book here make sure you realize it is no more than a 3 star holiday/quality inn type hotel. i was not happy and will not book again unless there is a renovation or new management.

Atlantic Avenue, the view from Cavalier HotelAtlantic Avenue, the view from Cavalier Hotel

Kid's Camp at Cavalier Hotel

by krissykins

Would anyone please tell me about kid's camp at Cavalier Hotel in Virginia Beach?

I would like to know what kids do there and what times of the day (or night?) it occurs.

Also I'd like to know what the kid's cafe is!

Thanks very much!

Re: Kid's Camp at Cavalier Hotel

by Hopkid

A quick google search found this bullet list of activities on the hotel website:

Looks like there may be some brief reviews on TripAdvisor as well.

Comments