Doubletree Hotel Virginia Beach

Satisfaction Average

Costs 46% more than similarly rated 3 star hotels

More about Doubletree Hotel Virginia Beach

Good, but not again

The Doubletree Hotel website advertises their location to be "an 8 block walk from the oceanfront", but instead should say " 8 super long
blocks." I could see how it would be inconvenient for someone who doesnt have a car or has to lug kids around. Non-smoking rooms are not guaranteed so you're out of luck if you dont enjoy funky mustiness. Bring fresheners. There is room service only for breakfast and the front desk staff is not too friendly or helpful. For instance, they don't direct you to the pool or elevators and you have to search for and compete with the other guests for a luggage cart. If you're considering this hotel just stay in a motel on the oceanfront.

I love Doubletree Hotels!

Everytime I go to a Doubletree Hotel I'm never disappointed. The room was spacious, nice, well decorated, and the cookies were great. The bed was soooo comfortable which is very important to me since I do lots of road trips. And the price was unbeatable. No problems here, I guess this hotel has gotten it's act together since the negative reviews were written cause I couldn't find anything wrong with it. Bianca, Hawaii

Worst vacation ever!!

by TripAdvisor Member DanahBennett

This was the worst vacation of my life. The hotel was horrible. My husband and I were excited about staying at a three star hotel for our anniversary/spring break vacation but the hotel should not be rated over 1.5 stars. As soon as we landed on our floor we smelled a pungent odor of tobacco. The time delay on the elevator door only allows for one or two people to enter before closing. In the hallway the sprinkler system had mildew around the tile. The wall covering was broken and around the lights, walls were in disrepair. The room was plain and by no means a three star level. The remote control was broken and the batteries were held in with duct tape. When I went downstairs to get a sewing kit they said they were completely out. The hotel also didn’t have a refrigerator or microwave or even a kitchenette available to customers. In the evening, while we were resting in our room, we heard/saw WATER LEAKING through the bathroom ceiling. When we complained the hotel didn’t offer to put us in a different room or even a good explanation. The hotel doesn’t offer a continental breakfast and when we attempted to go down to the restaurant (and pay for an expensive breakfast) another guest advised us against eating there due to lack of quality. The pool was small, dirty, and had a very high percentage of chlorine plus, there was no hot tub. The hotel had no business center for internet or computer usage, and not enough luggage carts for check-in and check-out. We were charged for local calls. And worst of all when we drove to the oceanfront (the oceanfront was not a walkable distance from the hotel) I found much nicer hotels for a cheaper price.

Not nearly as bad as I expected

by TripAdvisor Member happycampersfromva

I ended up at the Doubletree through priceline and was not at all happy after reading reviews here. I expected a disaster! I was pleasantly surprised. Check in was a breeze; staff more than pleasant. Rooms were more than adequate; 5 pilllows per bed; clean; on the small side but fine. Shower was excellant. Indoor pool was fine. Sure the beach was far away but the shuttle ran every half hour as advertised.

I probably wouldn't stay here again just because it was too far from the beach but it was a much better experience than I expected.

Great Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member 757jewell

Although my husband and I only spent one night at this hotel, it proved to be an excellent hotel. The customer service and accomodations we recieved were exceptional. I have a huge problem with hotel rooms that smell old and musty, but the room at this hotel had a very fresh scent and was very well cleaned. The staff working the front desk were very welcoming and friendly. The hotel is also located in a very nice area. It's not located in the hustle and bustle of the oceanfront travel and crowds, but it is located close enough to the oceanfront that you can easily catch a shuttle down or walk if you prefer.

If you stay at this hotel, be sure to get some of their complimentary cookies because they are quite a delightful treat!

Not a three star hotel

We stayed at this hotel last year for a week's vacation. I had booked through Priceline, which had rated this hotel at three stars. I felt taken advantage of by Priceline because this was not a three star hotel and after I had place my bid, I found that the hotel's website had rates lower than my bid. I had to enact Priceline's lowest rate guarantee to obtain the difference in rate but could not change the hotel, as per their bidding policy. I had read other Tripadvisor ratings and was anticipating problems. Thankfully, I had read a Tripadvisor's review where he kept asking for a different room because the first two rooms we were shown were filthy or rundown. I kept asking for a different room. The third room was a free upgrade but smelled musty and there were marks on the ceiling which must have been past water damage. It ruined the ambience of the room to see that every night. The free cookies were delicious but the hotel restaurant food was pricey and not good at all. Too far from the beach for a family of four, with young children (stroller). The lobby was maintained and attractive but the rooms needed upgraded. Won't stay here again and am now leery of using Priceline.

Bad location and needs renovation

The Doubletree did not deserve a 3 star rating. It is badly in need of renovation. The linens are old and need to be laundered. The hotel is far from the beach and from all other local attractions. (Their website makes it sound like a short walk, and it is actually a 10 minute drive).

The staff on the other hand, were helpful and we were given fresh-baked cookies at check in and detailed directions.

Virginia Beach is lovely. There were lots of dolphins swimming near shore and many great places to eat and shop.

In short, stay at one of the nicer hotels on the beach!

Never Again!

Where to start? Hmm. First of all, a small group of us booked there because we had a class nearby. The hotel didn't honor all the reservations, leaving half the class stranded. Turns out they were the lucky ones. The lobby and restaurant are in a constant, rank, gray haze from cigarette smoke and the "pool" (really an oversized hot tub) was filthy. The package I booked was only available for a 1-day stay (which nobody bothered to mention when I booked or when I checked in), which didn't stop them from trying to charge me for it every day. Speaking of charges, local calls are 75 cents apiece. The room itself was barely adequate and in bad repair, and you had to like the color feces-brown because it was everywhere--the curtains, the walls, the bedspreads. I was in a non-smoking room but the blankets had cigarette holes. The icemaker made a horrific racket 24/7 and the soda machines didn't work on the floor or by the pool. The girl in the hotel gift shop said she hadn't been paid in 2 weeks and was ready to quit. The front-desk staff were downright nasty and mean.

stay somewhere nicer on the beach

by TripAdvisor Member dreamvac

The Doubletree Hotel in VA Beach fails to meet the usual good standards of Doubletree Hotels. The staff seemed to try hard, but the property itself is old and needing updating. I really regret that I did not spend a few more dollars to stay at one of the nicer places on the beach. The hotel is a mile walk to the beach and entertainment area. It is all by itself except for the convention center next door. The wallpaper in my room was peeling and the linens sheets were thin and worn and put on the bed inside out. I was checked in at 4:30 pm which is too late for check in. My morning breakfast room service request with the door tag was not even picked up. The concierge was not familar with my request for spa services in the area. The pool is indoor and did not seem very clean. The exercise room equipment is old and does not work that well.

I would not stay here again.

Doubletree was fine

We stayed in The Doubletree for three nights. I was a
little concerned because of some of the reviews.
However, the rooms were clean and a had a nice
shower with good water pressure. The staff were
very nice. Also, the price per night was very
reasonable. There is a shuttle for transportation
to the beach. The only negative was that the
air conditioner was kind of noisy. Also internet service
is not free. All in all I had a nice experience.

Comments