Founders Inn

5641 Indian River Road, Virginia Beach, Virginia, 23464, United States

The Founders Inn and Spa
Hotels.com Orbitz.com Expedia.com

More about Founders Inn

Just because the room is confirmed and paid for doesn't mean you get it.

On arriving at the Founders Inn, we found ourselves 20+ deep at the front desk with only 2 people working to check the patrons in. Once at the desk we found our room, although paid for, wasn't available. Founders Inn explained "our room was still occupied and they don't have the authority to set the current occupants out. That is the law." This room had been confirmed and paid for a month in advance. We were then instructed the shuttle would take us over to the Holiday Inn right down the road. Down the road and back on to the freeway, about a 15 minute drive, we arrived at Holiday Inn. We gave Holiday Inn the letter that Founders Inn had made up previous to our arrival. Holiday Inn hadn't been contacted by Founders to determine if they had rooms available. Holiday Inn had already recieved 3 other Founders Inn rejects and according to the phone call Holiday Inn initiated to Founders Inn with our check in should expect 14 more.
I travel quite frequently and in all my travels with a confirmed paid room awaiting have never had to find different accomodations than was expected. Founders Inn felt no remorse for the steps they were taking and told us to take it up with the state legislator? This, I can only assume was their way to shirk their responsibilty.
Our reason for being at Founders Inn was that's were the bride had picked to have her wedding. Being moved to a different hotel than the one the wedding/reception was being performed at was a big disposition for us and 4 other couples in our group.
Hopefully the rooms will be refunded without hesitation. Founders Inn handled this very poorly. This isn't an unusual occurrence there either. Unless you're going there for a conference, which Founders wouldn't want to loose next year, I would stay some where else. The few workers I had to deal with, were very stuffy and could care less.

Not Next To the Beach

by TripAdvisor Member JayM123

Be warnrd this hotel is not next to the beach.Also this hotel is owned by CBN.Thats right this is Pat Robertsons(700 Club tv show)hotel.I dont know if this is good thing or a bad thing.That is for you to judge.They say they are 15 minutes from the beach.If its 3am and your the only person on the road,then maybe.In the summer time it will take you at least 30 minutes or more to get to the oceanfront.The Founders inn is on the far edge of Va Beach.I've eaten at the resturant and the food is excellent.The rooms are nicely furnished and this is more of an upscale conservative place.

If youre under 85, stay away!

If you are under the age of 85 and are ever awake past 10pm where this hotel literally is on LOCK DOWN (there is no room service, pool, bar, and i hear they lock the doors sometime). this is not the place for you unless you are into sleeping. they do have nice grounds and BLACK swans (which do frequently attack human beings) One thing I did like were the locks on the doors.

Wonderful Place for a quiet retreat!

by TripAdvisor Member s1mp1ega1

I stayed at the Founder's Inn twice, and I can say that the hotel has done major improvements over the past five years. Although I checked in after midnight, the staff was extremely friendly and took great care of me. I found that the hotel is VERY family friendly, unlike some of the other hotels on the oceanfront where it is loud and unruly. I especially enjoyed the new Swan Terrace restaurant, we sat at the chef's table and it is an experience I will not soon forget. The rooms are beautifully decorated, and my room was clean and fresh. The gift shop was exquisite, and the manager there was friendly and sweet. We utilized the transportation service and the driver was courteous. We used this service to visit the oceanfront, the area malls, and waterside in Norfolk. I liked the fact that we could see the town and return to our cozy retreat with out feeling drowned with noise from late night party goers. We had a conference in the new meeting room with the movie type screen, and it was very professionally serviced. I would most assuredly return with family or friends without hesitation!

Founder's Dream

by TripAdvisor Member Funtravelgal

My husband and I stayed here for six nights and found it to be a lovely, quiet retreat with all the amenities of a four star hotel. The pond is gorgeous, the pool quite large and the rooms were as clean as any I have stayed. If you want a beautiful get away where you won't be interrupted by hustle and bustle, I would suggest staying here. The location is also great for visiting Norfolk, Virginia Beach boardwalk, etc. You won't be disappointed!

Just OK

by TripAdvisor Member JPBREEF

At $69.00 per night (Priceline), the hotel was fine. The service was not that great and echoing some other posts, housekeeping was often very late getting to our room. The grounds were beautiful but the service did not make this feel like a 4 star experience. We would definitely look elsewhere if ever in the VA Beach area again.

In Virginia Beach, Not Near the Beach

by TripAdvisor Member juanvaldez001

As the title says, it's in Virginia Beach, but not near the beach, so if you are looking for a beach hotel look elsewhere. The hotel is part of the Christian Broadcasting Network/700 Club/Regents University campus. It appears that the hotel is trying to reposition itself as a "resort" with the addition of a "Spa" in June 2006. Right now the the "Spa" is the YMCA across the street (show your room key). My observations during my stay was that the hotel seems to be focussed on weddings, business meetings, and Christian conventions. It seemed to be well equipped to handle people in the ballrooms and meeting rooms. Other than a small shopping center across the street (7-11, Waffle Shop, YMCA), there are no nearby shopping or services.

My wife and I had a 3 day package which included 2 nights in a fireplace room, 1 dinner for 2 at the Swan Terrace, champagne and strawberries one evening in our room, and 2 continental breakfasts in our room for $409. Since we weren't there for the beach, the proximity to the beach was a non-issue for us. The first observation was that the room was dirty. Every surface was tacky or sticky, we couldn't sit on the carpet in front of the fireplace as the carpet was sticky. Room Service was great, the food was prepared well, and arrived on time. Dinner at the Swan Terrace was OK, my NY strip was delicious, but my wife's filet mignon was tough, service was very good however.

The following morning Housekeeping came early, we asked them to return later, they never returned. However they did show up at Seven o'clock to turn down the bed they didn't make up?! (Tip time?) It was fortunate we had continental breakfast in our room, the small coffee shop in the main hotel was swamped and understaffed the whole time we were there.

A couple of more observations. The rooms are connected to the main hotel by breezeways, not good in inclement weather trying to get from your room to the main hotel for your wedding, meeting, etc. without getting drenched. The busloads of conventioneers, and their noisey busses to not lend themselves to this being a "Resort" or "Spa". The location needs serious landscaping, it's boring, the asphalt in the parking lot is more interesting than this sterile moonscape.

Founder's Inn

by TripAdvisor Member jcbcode99

I have stayed in many, many hotels and I really do like the Founder's Inn because it is a very quiet, nice hotel. I love the lobby, the furnishings, and the food. The red eye gravy is the best anywhere! Everything is delicious on the menu. I stayed here because I was going to an Autism conference, and my child (who has autism) did quite well here because it is a subdued place. My only complaint, if it is one, is that the bathrooms are a bit dated. Other than that, I loved the colonial furnishings, the fabrics, everything.

Incredible Experience at Founder's Inn

by TripAdvisor Member Judy1954

Just spent an incredible weekend at the Founder's Inn for our 25th wedding anniversary. We purchased the Ultimate Romance Package. For $279 plus tax we had a beautiful king size room with fireplace, strawberries and champagne delivered to our room, a sumptuous and delicious 4 course meal for each of us in the Swan Terrace dining room and a continental breakfast delivered to our room the next morning of all kinds of fresh fruit, pastries, coffee and juice (too much for us to eat). Service was great and our room was beautiful. Don't understand the posting from the folks in Centerville Va. Our room was clean......carpet immaculate and with padding underneath that you don't usually see in hotel carpets. Also, he makes it sound like this place is in the middle of nowhere. It's only a stoplight away from the interstate and Indian River Road (on which it is located) has NUMEROUS places to eat and shop.....it's a major street. Despite that, the Inn is very quiet as it sits back from the road on BEAUTIFULLY landscaped property. There is a small garden and walking sidewalks throughout with a pond with a fountain in it. There were several events going on the weekend we were there, and it was still very tranquil and quiet. They have just put in a new spa. We didn't try any of the services, but they have a very large, new, outdoor pool, a very nice slide that dumps you into a small pool, an indoor pool and a hot tub. We will definitely go back again and highly recommend this place.

Comments