1011 Atlantic Avenue, Virginia Beach, Virginia, 23451, United States

Orbitz.com Expedia.com Hotels.com

• MBDVB's Profile Photo

Excellent location on Virginia Beach

The entrance to the lobby is a bit strange, as it is not readily visible from the main street, but once inside all is well. Front desk was well staffed, polite, and helpful. Room was in perfect shape, and with a terrific view right down on the boardwalk and the beach. Could not have been better!

Unique Quality: As every room has a balcony, the views of the boardwalk, beach, and the Atlantic are terrific!

More about Hampton Inn Virginia Beach-Oceanfront South

"2 room suite" is only 1 room!

by TripAdvisor Member thebaits

This hotel is lovely... and feels nice and new. However, we booked a suite- which on hamptoninn.com states ..."This spacious two room non-smoking oceanfront suite..." well, there is only 1 room. It is large- I'll give you that- but there is no division in the room-and so the sleeping area is right there in the same area as the TV, Sofabed, chair and coffee table. There is no division whatsoever in the room- not even a "half wall" that you sometimes see. Although it made a large room, there is no difference between this and the standard room. NOT worth the extra money- and not suitable for our family who searches for accomodations that let me put my kids to bed so my husband and I can stay up later. The indoor pool was mediocre- no hot tub- no outdoor pool- and only 2 machines in the fitness facility.

Love Love Loved this hotel

by TripAdvisor Member Abbe54

We had our first-ever Virginia Beach sisters' week and made our home at the Hampton South. What a great stay! Not only is it on the boardwalk with a wonderful ocean view, the hotel itself has recently been refurbished and it's fantastic. I can't say enough about the kindness, courtesy and humor of the staff. It was a special joy to sit out on the private balcony and watch the ocean waves roll in at night. The only things I would add is a refrigerator and a 4-cup coffeemaker (I hate those new one-cup dealies) but no complaints.

Tip - go left two blocks for the best waffles EVER. And to your right is the Raven. Though their specialty is seafood they have the most fantastic pulled pork barbeque - and great T-shirts to commemorate your visit.

Loved this Hampton!

by TripAdvisor Member julabear

We recently returned from our visit to VA Beach and the Hampton Inn OF South. The hotel is brand new, very nice and we were very happy with our stay. We booked a Studio Suite - 2 Queen beds (very comfy), wet bar with fridge and micro, free internet access, and 2 oceanfront balconies (only one had chairs, though).

There room was very large. I really liked the entryway - very big with tile floors. It was great for keeping all of the sandy beach stuff. There was also a wet bar in that area with frigde and micro and plenty of space to store snacks for our stay. Although this was a suite, there was no "dividing" wall - just a large room, which was ok for us. Beds along one wall, sofa sleeper across the room, assorted chairs, desk for laptop, flat screen tv on a dresser somewhere in the middle (it "swiveled" so you could turn it as needed). The bathroom was large with sink area outside and one small and one large closet - very nice!

The rooms were kept clean and well stocked. There was one time we were not left hand towels - I called and they were brought up right away. The hot breakfast was very good - plenty of choices. Breakfast was usually pretty crowded, but there seemed to be plenty of seating as we didn't have any problems with that. One morning, they ran out of the hot selection and it took awhile to bring something else out, but they did and made sure to extend the serving time to accomodate those who were waiting.

Staff were friendly and helpful. The only complaint I could make was that the indoor pool was so small. A sign inside the pool area states 11 people max. Seriously - any more than that and the pool would be way too crowded. We go to enjoy the ocean and our weather was beautiful so this was not a problem for us. Had the weather been rainy, however, using the pool could have been a problem as the hotel was pretty booked.

Just a couple more things to note. TV in room had good selection of kid's channels (the VA beach hotel we stayed at last year had no kid's channels). Our daughter did not feel well one evening, so she relaxed in bed while watching one of her fave shows. My husband and I were able to relax with our books while listening to the sound of the waves! We kept the sliders open to enjoy the sounds of the ocean and had no problems with any bugs (maybe one or two). I still think screens would be a nice addition. Also - the bathroom was very big - I don't know why there were not more hooks for wet suits/towels. It was pretty windy a few nights and I didn't want our stuff to blow off the balcony!

Overall, it was a great stay in a nice hotel. I would most definitely recommend!

Great location for a vacation

by TripAdvisor Member Sun_fun-2009_4_2

This hotel was wonderful. Perfectly located on the beach. The rooms were new and clean and all had a great balcony to enjoy the last part of a great day. The parking is provided and convenient.
The hotel is new and still is suffering from the pains of new staff and processes. The restaurant was not open yet. There were some gaps in service but if they can manage through these issues this can be a great destination for a terrific stay on the beach.

Pleasant hotel

by TripAdvisor Member Cold_Rob

Brand new hotel located directly on Virginia Beach. The rooms were perfect, nice size, good beds, and nice size bathroom. TV was excellent and the balcony was clean and large enough for 2 people to sit and relax. The included breakfast was fair, but due to limited microwaves was sometimes very slow food availability. The pool was somewhat small, and there was no space around the pool for chairs for non-swimmers to sit in. A fair, clean hotel with decent facilities for a summer vacation on the beach.

Nice new hotel needs minor tweaking

by TripAdvisor Member VAstaff

We have vacationed in Viriginia Beach for years and try to get the best hotel for the best price (total w/ tax $304 per night). This is a new Hampton Inn so the rooms and building are well decorated, clean and still has that "new" smell to it. We had a huge 2 queen open suite with a sofabed. No complaints with the suite, except it had only one TV and it was quite a distance from the beds and sofa to watch. As nice as this Hampton Inn is, there are a few negatives worth mentioning . I hope the hotel management reads along for ideas to improve guests' stay.

Suggestions for the hotel:
1. Need MORE FRONT DESK CLERKS during peak times: Only two overwhelmed desk clerks to answer phones, guest inquiries, and to check-in/check-out all at the same time. They were too busy to focus on any one guest since the phones rang non-stop and there was a long line of unhappy guests eager to be helped. Also, these clerks seemed new and unfamiliar with the process and building to work fast and answer guests' questions. Additionally, I saw another clerk occasionally come out of the office to chat but did not help expedite check-ins with the busy clerks at the desk. Other housekeepers and custodial staff were lingering in lobby, laughing and socializing at this peak time when they could have been filling the empty coffee pot and hot water pot at the guest's station, add clean towels to the pool area (none), and help get those rooms cleaned!!!

2. Need to INCREASE the HOUSEKEEPING STAFF and double the LINENS during high occupancy: Our family, and a line of 20 others, had to wait until 4:30pm or so to check-in as the rooms were not ready until that late hour. We arrived at 11am, went to the beach for a few hours, then had to wait an hour in the dining area before our room was ready (it was crowded with several families doing the same). If guests must check out by 11am, it should not take so long to prepare the rooms if you have the proper staff and linens.

3. ADD AN OUTDOOR PATIO: The hotel should add a patio with tables off the breakfast area to accommodate the large breakfast crowds AND extend the patio to just outside the pool to allow pool guests to sit outside, as well. There is usually a line in the breakfast area waiting to grab a table or chair at breakfast; adding a dining patio would help to eleviate this problem. I witnessed one nut making a fool of himself running up and down the dining room with his plate in an effort to grab a spot to eat as someone looked ready to leave. He actually took a woman's seat when she went to get another drink.

4. POOL: very small, no room around the pool for chairs, and no clean towels in this area. I saw two guest pull out dirty towels from the bin to dry off in desperation. As mentioned, adding a patio with tables and chairs outside the pool with access doors would be helpful. When it rains, look out...there is no room in or around the pool for the amount of guests in the hotel. And, bring our own towel and be prepared to stand.

5. NEED SIDEWALKS leading from outside the breakfast area to the boardwalk to reach the beach without having to enter/exit from the front of the building. This grassy area at the back door is currently swampy and muddy; not suitable for pedestrian traffic to get to the beach.

One side note on the efficient fire safety proceedures: One morning the intercom in all the rooms announced to exit the hotel using the staircase...the kids and I were still asleep in our tenth floor room! Can you imagine how difficult and embarrassing it is to walk down 10 floors to exit to the street in a nightgown! Evidently, we found out later, someone burnt toast at breakfast...it probably was the same nut that runs around the dining room looking for an empty table.

Again, the Hampton Inn is a nce new hotel on the oceanfront and with some tweaking, it would be the perfect hotel! Hope this is helpful.

Great place to stay but has a few minor annoyances

by TripAdvisor Member mwhii

The staff at reception was very nice and check in was quick. We got a great room without making a reservation. All the rooms are ocean front with private balconies. We were on the 7th floor and the view was spectacular! The room was very clean and decently sized. The wall facing the ocean was floor to ceiling windows with a sliding glass door. There was no screen, but we kept the door open all night to hear the ocean and had no problem with bugs.

The location is great, there are stores and restaurants everywhere. They have their own parking garage connected to the hotel with plenty of parking and easy access.

I do have a few complains. This hotel has 10 floor and only 2 elevators. There is always a wait, sometimes a very long wait for an elevator. The first night as I was returning to my room, the elevator I was on started making noises and jerking back and forth. The next morning that elevator was shut down and they were waiting on a repair man. Now the wait for an elevator was extremely long and usually it was too full for comfort. I once tried taking the stairs, not so bad going down, but come back up to the 7th floor was a killer! I think with a hotel of this size, they need at least 2 sets of elevators (4 total) at each end of the hotel.

My other complain amenities. The indoor pool was heated but very small and always dirty. The water was very cloudy, the bottom of the pool was covered in sand and the area surrounding the pool was pretty filthy. This was the case every day of our stay, it was as if they never cleaned it. Also the fitness center was extremely small having only a couple of pieces of equipment. The business center is completely useless. The computer is very non-secure. There is only one computer and one printer. Wireless internet was only in the lobby, the rooms only had wired internet.

It seems as if they were a little short staffed as the pool was never cleaned and sometimes they skipped cleaning my room and when they did finally get to it, it was very late in the evening.

Overall it was a nice stay with just a few annoyances.

Great Stay..Staff Very Responsive

by TripAdvisor Member wfmud1977

My wife and I took our 16 old twin boys and their older sister to Virginia Beach. The stay at the Hampton Inn - South was the best. The morning continental breakfast was excellent. The staff went out of their way to please us..we actually stayed an extra day..would recommend to others.. Thanks for a great time...

Great hotel and location, but crowded

by TripAdvisor Member bhojo

All of this hotels rooms are ocean view. The room size is good. All room have a private balcony, with a great view. There is a 24 hour coffee station. The breakfast is good. It is a continental breakfast with either sausage patties, french toast sticks, egg and cheese bagel or egg and ham, all depending on the day. The sitting area is small considering all the guests that come.The staff are very friendly and know the area good, so they can recommend good restaurants. Overall a great hotel.

Comments