3001 Atlantic Avenue, Virginia Beach, Virginia, 23451, United States

amextravel.com Booking.com Hilton.com

Costs 40% more than similarly rated 4 star hotels

• Best kept secret about the Hilton!

After doing a ton of research on the Internet, I knew i wanted to stay at the new Hilton hotel that opened in Virginia Beach last year. I found this little known company called Gold Key Resorts that had really great prices for vacation packages. When I couldn't find a hotel room under $200/night, I decided to reserve my room through Gold Key. There is a catch though! You have to attend a timeshare tour to get the great discount and gifts. I was a little nervous about that part--but it actually wasn't too bad. Yeah, the salesman was a little pushy, but once I told him that timeshare wasn't for me--that was it. I enjoyed my entire stay including the dinner at Catch31 and the tickets to Busch Gardens. The only negative is that I didn't feel safe enough to let my two teenage daughters walk the boardwalk at night by themselves. There is an active night life at the beach which attracts all different kinds of characters! Besides that...I am definitely returning to Virginia Beach!

Unique Quality: The best part of the Hilton was the great view from the rooftop infinity edge pool. Probably not the best idea for those who are scared of heights--but I loved the views. I think I even spotted a school of dolphins!! I think the front desk associates could have been a little more helpful, but it's a beautiful hotel and it's pretty hard not to be pleased.

Directions: 31st and Atlantic on the oceanfront

More about Hilton Virginia Beach Oceanfront

hilton va beach-awful

by TripAdvisor Member coanetinc

classic example of the inmates running the prison!
checkin was slow & arduous. room not ready @ 2 hrs past the stated check in time. no towels at the pool. parking problems. 3 dining experiences were poor , orders in error, etc. room keys sometimes worked sometimes did not despite 6 new keys. no response after 2 messages left for the general mgr. called the priority service line a # of times, twice it rang more than 40 times, no answer. the list goes on. even the staff shook their heads (off the record) & admitted to numerous breakdowns.

what is a shame is that the hotel itself is beautiful and holds great promise partic. since it is a serious upgrade for the beach. in fact some of the staff, ie housekeeping, the bellmen, wait staff were wonderful.

but in all other phases it was a conpicuous failure to deliver especially at a $300+ nightly rate.

Beautiful facilities, needs new staff

We reserved 3 rooms at this hotel about a month ahead of time. We booked all oceanview rooms. This hotel CLEARLY has both oceanfront and oceanview rooms, yet they call all of them oceanview so it makes it impossible to be promised a room facing the beach (we would have gladly paid extra for oceanfront like every other hotel in the world allows). For this reason, we tried several times to call and speak to a manager and were never called back. At check in, the reception desk staff was extremely rude and incompetent. The room with a king bed was on the southwest corner of the hotel and had no balcony, only french doors. It was considered an oceanview room, but it was definate strain to see the ocean. I went back to the front desk and told them I wanted an eastern facing room with a balcony. She said all they had facing east were doubles. There are VERY few king sized beds in this hotel, because they cater mainly to conferences and groups. I took the doubles room, but when I got there it was facing north (like I said incompetent). The third room I moved to faced the water, but had double beds. We were told that for our 3 rooms, we could only have one refrigerator, but between my room changes, they lost it. It was found after several calls and waiting about an hour. The restaurant was good, contrary to previous reviews and our A/C was not noisy. I thought the pool was great. Valet was completely lazy and unhelpful. Many of the staff members were very rude, though some were very accomadating. One concierage (Russ) told us we could not get a cab. He said he tried for two hours. Funny, when we went downstairs, the young lady behind the concierage desk was able to get a cab there in 5 minutes. A big cleanout of staff and better clarity on room choices would benefit this hotel greatly.

Not bad..but

Spent July 4th weekend at the new Hilton.
Nice place to look at, comfortable rooms. The Catch 31 restaurant could be very good, but staff is still learning. The roof-top pool is small, not truly kid friendly. Use the beach, just make sure you don't mind sharing the experience with a few hundred of your closest friends.
All in all, the staff needs to be reassured by mgmt that things will get better, add another elevator (what were you thinking?), and be prepared to do a lot of maintenance (due to the sheer volumes of people). If mgmt is not willing to constatnly keep up with the hotel's look...watch out, things will slide.

nice, but have stayed in better

Just returned from a 3 night stay at the newly built Hilton and have mixed reviews about this hotel. The hotel itself is nice and beautiful in it's on way, but for the price we could have done better at the Quality Inn down the road. The staff, I must say were very nice and polite. As for the restuarants we didn't do any dining with them so nothing to comment about there. The pros and cons are as follows:

pros- The staff very accomodating when needed and was always friendly.
Needed extra towels and was brought very promptly.
Bellman where extremely helpful.
Desk people very helpful with room change.

cons- Not enough elevators.
Both pools very lovely, but cold and SMALL, outdoor pool after 6 pm
restricted to 21 and over, not good when you have 3 children.
Toilet stopped-up on us three times and had to have maintence
person to come to room, once at 2 am, not good.
Shower started spitting back seaweed from drain part of tub.
A/C was not noisy by no means, but did leak and caused our
floor to be drenched in water.
Husband is diamond member and was given a room faceing street,
not happy, had no slidding glass windows, this means no balcony
and no way to get any outside air, no fridge and the closet door fell
off.

This all happened on the first two nights, the very first night around 1 am, we had to have security called to our floor because of the scent of pot being smoked by under age kids and a fight between a girl and about 3 boys running between 3 rooms all around US. Needless to say this was fixed immediatley by security, very prompt I might say. Beacause of all of this we asked to be moved to atleast an ocean view or front and were moved the next day. The room we were given was on the 20th floor and it was much better, the closet door stayed on, the toilet didn't stop-up, the A/C did not leak and the shower did not spit seaweed back out of the drain. What we didn't realize is that we could also have been having breakfast in the club level lounge had we had a hotel directory that should have been in the first room and it would have helped us know of activities and the CHARGE for high-speed internet. What really disappoints me is that we stayed at the Hilton Resort in Myrtle Beach and was just blown away by this hotel, it was BEAUTIFUL and the pool was gorgeous, it had a person giving massages by the pool, a live band and waitresses taken orders by the pool. The pool I might add was also 9ft deep at one end, (great plus).This hotel was unbelievable, and we could not wait to see what VB had to offer, what a let down. We don't care for Myrtle Beach, love VB, but this Hilton was a disappoitment compared to Myrtle. Sorry to say we wont be back to this particular Hilton, Myrtle (definately), but will stay somewhere else in VB. On day 3, check-out, very courtious, was charged for things we didn't use, but was immediately fixed, went to Double Tree down the road for last two days stay.

Weekend Beach trip

by TripAdvisor Member Malyssa1

Just returned from a weekend stay at the new Hilton Oceanfront. I read many of the reviews prior to booking my reservations and the comments I have are pretty much the same. Needs more elevators is 1. They only have 3. My room was very nice, oceanfront King on the corner. The pools located on the rooftop were nice but small. Dont understand why they just did not put the outdoor pool up there, make it bigger and perhaps put the indoor pool somewhere else. This would have also allowed more room for the rooftop bar, which was also small and limited. For example, got in to town around 5pm, checked in my room, then went up for a drink and a snack. 2 of the items on the menu were not available, drink selection also limited. Overall the hotel is nice, but for what I paid, I expected a little more.

Nice Place

by TripAdvisor Member lchenoweth

Just returned from a week at the Hilton. It is a very clean, nice hotel. The staff was very friendly and helpful. Only had minor issue with our tv not working properly and when we called the front desk they said someone would be right up but no one came. The pools are small and very crowded. We spent most of the time on the beach, which was a very clean beach. There is a gazebo and amphitheatre next to the hotel and a band plays nightly. They have a few rocking chairs out by the boardwalk and the restaurant has outdoor seating and bar which seems to be a popular night spot. We didn't eat at the hotel restaurants because there was a 2 hour wait at night. It didn't seem as bad for breakfast or lunch. There are plenty of restaurants and cafes on the strip within walking distance. I read complaints about noisy air conditioning and slow elevators. They must have fixed the air conditioner problem and we never had a big problem with elevators. The parking garage is connected to the hotel by a walkway and it is really easier to park yourself rather than pull up and wait for the valet every time. There is no charge to park in the garage if you swipe your hotel key. The two bellman we met were very helpful with information on how to get around and where to go. I would definitely stay there again.

Alot To Be Desired

by TripAdvisor Member wandina

Stayed 7/11 - 7/15/05. First, check in was quick -- parking was fine. Lobby is clean, rooms are still new. First day everything was fine, 2nd day - beach personnel was lousy, hotel ok, 3rd day after housekeeping cleaned, they forgot to leave ANY washclothes or empty the trash cans, had to call to request. 4th day - housekeeping did not show up, finally after 3 calls they made an appearance at 9:00 pm. Requested info on umbrella rental from beach personnel - was given an answer accompanied by a loud "belch" with no "excuse me", just a laugh. Waited no more than 1 minute 20 seconds for elevator, not to bad. Catch 21 (31) restaurant - had crabcake - excellent, service was very good, no wait - 5:30 dinner. Will I stay again - no, definitely not worth the price, I can pay less and get just as good elsewhere. I am a frequent Hyatt Passport member, so I know what you should get for the price.

Great place

by TripAdvisor Member electric_honey

I stayed at the VA Beach Hilton for a weekend in June 2005 and was impressed overall, despite having a bad experience at check-in. I'm a HHonors member and booked my reservation online, indicating that I would be checking in late on Friday night. When I arrived at the hotel at 12:30 a.m., I found that they didn't have a room for me despite my having reserved online with a credit card. I was none too pleased at having to move to another hotel for the night, especially one with a crappy room (the "new" Cavalier a few blocks up Atlantic Avenue), but Hilton comped the night, and since it was so late when I checked in, all I did was sleep in that room anyway. I finally got my oceanfront room at the Hilton at 12:30 the next day and enjoyed the rest of my stay. My 5th floor room was great -- it had a balcony, a really nice bathroom and a widescreen HDTV. The 5th floor was a perfect spot for a room overlooking the boardwalk -- it was high enough that I didn't feel I was on display when I sat out on the balcony, but still low enough to enjoy the view and watch people strolling up and down the boardwalk. This Hilton has a spectacular rooftop pool that overlooks the beach from the 21st floor -- they call the pool "zero edge" because it extends out to the edge of the building and has a see-through plexiglass barrier which makes for a really cool swimming/beach-viewing experience. Room service food was good and service was quick; it was pretty expensive too, but that's to be expected in a resort-type hotel on the beach, especially during the summer season. Overall, I highly recommend the VA Beach Hilton.

Nice hotel, a few flaws

I have just returned from a few days stay at the new Hilton. Overall the hotel made for a great stay on the beach. It was a little removed from most of the crowds, which made driving in and out of the hotel a bit easier than expected. You can valet your car for $5 a day, which makes it that much easier. The main lobby is nice, but the front desk is situated at the far end, a bit of a hassle at check in. A big downside was that the elevators were often packed and slow.

The best part of this hotel has got to be the roof top pool. An inifinty pool on the edge of the roof overlooking the Atlantic. Very impressive. Also, probably the reason for the elevator delays. Also, you need a hotel room key to access the pool, so it wasn't too crowded. The room was very nice, and clean; albeit nothing too fancy. The bathroom was large with a double headed shower. The view was nice, looking directly out onto the ocean; however the balconies are very close to one another and there is no privacy screen between you and your neighbor. You can just about reach out and touch someone on the balcony next to you.

The food at Catch 31 was pretty good. There is a long wait in the evening, but you get rapid seating as a hotel guest. We ate a seafood tower from the raw bar menu. It was good, not the best Ive ever eaten, but pretty good, and a fair price, and a very nice presentation. I didnt try anything from the cooked menu. There is a yellowfin tuna dish in that tower that was outstanding, and makes me think that they may have some great dishges on the menu - there are equal or better raw bars in the area.

The most surprising time of my stay was at 9am on the day of my departure the maid service knocking on the door until we answered to ask what time we were leaving so they could clean the room. Checkout policy is 11am. I though this was pretty horrible service at 250+ a night.

Overall, a very nice looking hotel, with some nice amenities; However, a few significant flaws detract from the overall stay.

Comments