215 Atlantic Avenue, Virginia Beach, Virginia, 23451, United States

Orbitz.com Booking.com Expedia.com

Satisfaction Average

• What an experience

Hello, me and my family recently tried to stay at your hotel, the Schooner Inn, on the Virginia Beach oceanfront.
    I am completely disappointed with the whole experience and can not believe the way people are treated by your staff.
    We started calling the hotel to make a reservation at approximately 8:00 AM, the first time i called a lady answered the phone and said she would transfer me, i stayed on that line for about five minutes before my phone started beeping in my ear. I called back repetitively with no answer, so in between 9:00 AM and 10:00 AM we finally decided to go to your hotel and see what was going on, now please understand that already we were upset due to no one answering the phones for a full hour. When we arrived at the hotel there was a lady at the front desk who seemed to be pretty polite and seemed to know what she was doing, we gave her our payment and information and she told us we could come back at 2:00 PM and check in. When we arrived back at the hotel at 1:30 PM she told us that there would be no room ready until 2:00 PM, which was understandable and we waited for another thirty minutes until 2. When we came back at 2:00 PM the same lady told us that she did not have any rooms ready and that we could go wait at the pool until there was a room ready. We sat at the pool, and waited until 4:00 PM. At this time we were extremely frustrated, because we thought we were going to be able to check in at 2:00 PM. When we arrived in the office at 4:00 PM there was many families in the lobby of your hotel, most were complaining about the same things we were. When we finally got to the front desk at 4:30 there was a different lady at the front desk, who greeted us rude and unprofessional, she told us in the most rude voice possible that there were no rooms ready. We asked her why there wasnt a room ready and why we were told we could check in at two. She promptly told us that we were "running our mouths" and she was going to refund us our money and we could get out of "her" hotel. I could not believe what i had heard. We tried to ask her when there would be a room available, and she continued to tell us how we were not welcome there. I Immediately requested to speak to a manager, and the lady told me that there was no manager. I couldn't believe this, so i asked for a number and her name and she handed me a business card and mumbled something that sounded to be Carol-Anne. I have stayed at the Schooner inn hotel for a very long time, my parents honeymooned at your hotel, and I honestly dont think me or my family will ever come to your hotel again. I will be calling everyone I can call and Emailing everyone i can email until i get a response and this is resolved.
    Thank you.

• RUN AWAY

When I booked it I was not afraid of the location. When we opened the door the smell of smoke almost knocked you down! When we called the front desk they said they are a smoking hotel. WHAT!?? No matter how many candles you burn the smell does not go away. it is coming out of the air condition. If that is what you call it. I called about the AC not going below 81 and was told that it is motion detector and will only work when you are in the room. I said I dont walk around while I am sleeping. Anyway, all of us got stuffy noses and eye swelling from the smoke blowing out of the vent that DID NOT COOL the room. When we complained about the people above us pouring beer off the balcony it took over an hour for them to figure out which room it was. If we are in 215... how hard is it to figure out what room they are in?

Unique Quality: NO OUTSTANDING ACCOMMODATION.

Directions: start of the pier

More about Schooner Inn

Schooner Inn, we be back!!!!!

Schooner Inn is perfect for a family!! Ocean view, kitchen with stove top cooking, pots, pans, coffee pot, toaster, etc. The wave is right out front, worth the $5.00 for a 3 day pass, and the Boomerang is great too!! The free bus ride to Busch Gardens. The pool is small and it did feel like a hot tub 4th of July week, but hey!! we were there for the beach!!!! The front desk is very helpful and friendly. And most important, the price is right !!!!

Wondering if the couple who wrote about their wedding on the beach was the 1 we saw on July 4th!!! That was awsome !!!! Beautiful bride and a handsome marine !! Congratulations !!!!

debbie B. from Pa and 3 teens !

Schooner Inn worth price

by TripAdvisor Member Bahamasnut

I arrived at The Schooner Inn Oct. 17th for a 4 night stay & had no problem checking in early. I was quite surprised wehn I opened the door to my ocean front effficiency--it was huge! There were some cigarette burns on the rug, the furniture was a little dusty & the heat wasn't very warm (only had to use it one night)but none of this really bothered me because everything else made up for it. The room had 2 double beds and a large area for dining and the view was great. They also had a user friendly safe. The staff was helpful and courteous. The hotel is located down near the jetty by Rudee Inlet, very easy to find. Waterman's Grill is just a short walk up the street. This restaurant is fine but with a limited menu & the ceiling fans were on so high that our food got cold quickly. Service was great though.

I plan on a summer trip next year and will choose The Schooner.

What a lovely place to stay!

We stayed at the Schooner Inn for four nights Sept. 19-23 and it was wonderful! The room was so clean, bright and the kitchen was so well stocked! The only thing it could have used was a spaghetti strainer but I made do. The oceanview was breathtaking and I felt like I was back in Jamaica again! We left the door open so we could hear the waves and it was so relaxing. I loved the fact that we were so close to the ocean, leaving to go eat or use the bathroom wasn't a heartache and getting right back was a flash. The staff were friendly and very helpful and only a phone call away. The pool, while small, was like a hottub in temperature and my husband and I found it heavenly. It wasn't crowded while we were there so I can see that the small pool could be an inconvience to some but we were there to swim in the ocean so it wasn't an issue.

The only thing I feel I should warn anyone about is the Seafood Harbor on 32nd St and Atlantic Ave. We saw a $1 off coupon in a discount book for the Seafood Harbor and decided to try that, how expensive could a buffet be, after all? We went in and it was by no means anything fancy but it got the job done. We just assumed since the enterees started at $10 the buffet could only be about $10-$15 per person, but this was CRAZY! When you are famished almost anything will do. I almost died when the bill came. $30 a person! (not including an extra $5.95 for Crab legs) Beware!!!! Shame on Seafood Harbor, shame on us for not checking the price.

As far as the Schooner Inn is concerned? Thumbs up all around, we loved it there and would go back again in a heartbeat! Thank you!

worst accomadation of my life

I've stayed in a lot of different hotels in a lot of different places. I've never been more unhappy with a hotel. My wife and I recently took a trip to Virginia Beach. We stayed in 4 diferent hotels on the trip to VB and back to Tenn. Three of the hotels ($50-$70) were great. The Schooner was the greatest disappointment of my life. The AC did not work. If we closed the doors to the room, the temp would continue to rise. At 77 degrees, we were forced to open the doors and the temp would drop to 74. After the first night, we complained. They said someone would check the AC while we were out. Upon returning, the room was 75. After complaining again, another maint man returned, could not help. The management offered us another room. Upon checking 4 other rooms, we discovered all the rooms were muggy and uncomrortable. After choosing not to move from one uncomfortable room to another, another maint man returned, worked on the unit, and assured us the room would cool. This did not happen. Yet another repairman came to check the AC and gave us the same assurance. Once again no AC. When checking out, I complained again. Pointing out that the lobby area was quite comfortable (65-70). I was both insulted and lied to by the management, given an irritating run-a-round, and offered a 10% discount. I clearly did not get what I paid for and if you choose to stay there after reading this, then you deserve what you get. VB is great, but avoid the Schooner Inn at the south end of the boardwalk.

A Really Great Place To Stay!

by TripAdvisor Member luckado

We (my wife and I) stayed at the Schooner Inn June 26-28, Sunday through Tuesday. We stayed in room 625, a King Whirlpool room!

We arrived early (about noon) to see if we could get into our room before the posted 4:00PM check in time. We arrived on a Sunday, and since all of the rooms had been booked over the weekend, our room was not ready yet, which was not a big deal since we were ready for lunch. The front desk staff was able to suggest a great place to eat and even took the time to write down the directions on how to get there. They also went ahead and gave us our parking pass so we wouldn't have a problem parking our car in their parking lot. Excellent service!

When we came back, we had a very quick check in, and found a very clean, very nice room. I admit, it's not the Hilton down the street, but we saved so much money by staying here. We were on a very, very tight budget, so every little bit helped.

Anyway, the room was great! The 2-person whirlpool was definitely the highlight. It is a very nice feeling to have your own private whirlpool. It was very clean and such a great way to relax.

The bed is actually two doubles put together, with a foam cover over the two matresses, so the bed is actually quite large for two people, but no complaints.
The micro fridge and small microwave oven was very nice to keep food & drinks in, and pop some popcorn in. I had no problems connecting my laptop to the phone/data port on the phone, toll free calls were free (local calls cost $.50/per call).

The cleaning service was excellent. The maid (Shelena) was very kind, and got us whatever we needed (extra towels, etc.). She talked about how much she loved her job, so needless to say, we left her a little tip before we checked out.

The elevators do show a little age but they were very quick most of the time. I only had to wait more than a minute once during the entire stay. And we were on the top floor so that mattered to us A LOT!

I only had a problem with the key card once, swiping it several times to get in, but honesty key card locks are never perfect no matter where I've ever stayed. I've never stayed anywhere where I didn't have to try it 2 or 3 times before it worked, so I don't know what the last reviewer is complaining about.

The thermostat in our room was digital, and it is central air, not a little box hanging outside on the balcony like most places, so the air was great! We were able to get the temperature in the room very comfortable and cool when it was pretty warm outside.

The bathroom was extremely well kept and very clean. We had an ample supply of towels as mentioned earlier.

There is no restaurant in the hotel, but they do serve free coffee every morning from 8-10am. There is a great breakfast just a few blocks away at the Ramada Inn (Mahi Mah's), a five minute walk.

All in all, I would say that this was a great hotel, and exactly everything it should be for what we paid. This is a great place to stay if you want to be out of the "main drag" where all the noise and action is, and a great price if you need to save some money!

Great Hotel!!!

Had a great time at the Schooner

by TripAdvisor Member DonnieRam

The Schooner was a very nice place to stay on a budget. We have very happy housekeepers and friendly people all around. The views of the beach were great! We changed to a room with a hot tub and had a very relaxing time. A good experience all around.

This place is awful

by TripAdvisor Member ReeTripTaker

When we arrived in the room there was sand on the floor, but we were able to overlook this unfortunately we were unable to overlook the fact that the sheets were filthy, there were red stains on one set of sheets and the pillowcase and it looked like foot prints on the sheets, no one bothered to put clean sheets on the bed or mop the floors. This was my birthday and I wanted to spend it on the beach instead I ended up staying in an hotel in Hampton for the weekend until we returned home on Sunday.

I wouldn't recommend this hotel to anyone.

Nice Hotel Nice Price

The last time i was here, i was around 16 or 17 years old. For someone that age it really isnt a bad hotel, its at the end of the boardwalk to its not too busy and choatic, but its a simple walk to the peir and all the action of VaBeach. Its about 1 block from where the fishing and sightseeing boats depart from. As far as the hotel itself, you get what you pay for. And this is one of the best oceanfront deals, cause its cheaper then some hotels that are not oceanfront. I mean really, if you go to a hotel on the beach, and complain about sand on the floor, you need to go somewhere else. If your a hotel freak, and you dont leave your hotel or you think the weather will be bad, dont stay here, you will be prety upset. But assuming the wather is nice like it so often is, this place is fine, Its got everything you need, without all thoes unimportant things the bigger more expensive hotels have.....Why worry about an indoor pool on a 90 degree day, when your paying to stay on the beach??????

Loved It

A previous entry from some guy in Michigan is crazy!!! Hello?!?! We are at the beach!!! The outside locks do get sand and saltwater in them!! I highly doubt it has anything to do wtih the keys and buying them...they were obviously programmed correctly. And as far as the owner, I stay here all the time and the owner (this year) replaced all of the mattresses and replaced the rest of the dressers that wern't done last year; and all new jacuzzies last year as well. This hotel is highly kept for it's age and for the year-round abuse it takes. The front desk staff is extremely helpful and kind. (Everyone has been working there a year or more.) The price is right, and hey...it's an oceanfront hotel with a great view!!! You just can't make some people happy. If you're staying at the beach...you shouldn't be locked in your room all day any how :) This a great family place to stay while on vacation!!!

hotels on the beach

by magnolia4

My family and I will be staying at Virginia Beach on May 21 and 22. There are a number of chain-motels right on the beach and I'm wondering if anyone can give me a recommendation. Also, has anyone gone to the new restaurant, Fire and Vine?

by lmclaughlin1216

Can't recommend because I have not stayed in but anything that is oceanfront should be fine. My relatives would stay in the Schooner Inn because is is acceptable and cheap - down by Rudee Inlet.

Have not heard of the Fire and Vine but would go to one the restaurants right on the ocean front. Ocean Eddies is good if you want burger and fries - can't beat the view because you are on the pier. Mahi Mahs is our fam favorite for the beach. They unfortunately "tourasize" their menu in the summer but its still good. Great .35 wings and oysters at happy hour.

by magnolia4

Thanks. That's a help and we'll definately try one of those restaurants..

by Angel72

We stayed at the Sandcastle Hotel recently and it was nice. The staff was friendly.

by beachn8v

Fire and Vine is new, but is already a local favorite and they are getting rave reviews. Be sure to try it! Call for reservations to avoid disappointment.

See www.fireandvine.com

Any of the hotels on the oceanfront are OK. Most have been recently built or renovated. You can save a lot if you're willing to stay a few miles from the beach.

by carolynlkb

Hi, We went to Fire and Vine for lunch special last year. I loved it next time I come to Va beach I'll try Dinner but it is pricey for me,thats why i tried lunch special check out the web site

Comments