3.5 out of 5 stars3.5 Stars

3501 Atlantic Avenue, 36th Street & Atlantic Avenue, Virginia Beach, Virginia, 23451, United States

Orbitz.com Hotels.com Sheraton.com

Costs 128% more than similarly rated 3.5 star hotels

• Great stay

Would recommend this hotel. Staff was readily available and very polite and helpful. Rooms
    were very clean. Three great pools to choose from that were well maintained.

Unique Quality: Two outdoor and one indoor pool. Excellent restaurant.

More about Sheraton Oceanfront Hotel

WILL NEVER STAY AGAIN

My husband had a job interview in virginia beach so the company he was interviewing with payed for our plane ticket and our stay at the sheraton oceanfront hotel. About a week after departure, i was looking at our checking account and the hotel had charged us for the room. Because of this mistake, we had bounced checks and overlimit charges on our account. This was a huge mess to us but the hotel acted like it wasn't a big deal. They issued a credit back to our account for the hotel charges but we were told that they would have to send us a check for the bounced checks and overlimit charges. This check was supposed to be sent on May 12th and it is now May 23rd and we still have not received the check. I am tired of dealing with these people, so i had my husband call them today. My husband is in Germany, on military duty, and he had to take time out of his day and money for a phone call to call the hotel. He was told that the check had not even been mailed out yet. This is after the accounting manager had already told him the check would be mailed on the 12th and the general manager telling me that the check had been mailed out also. I am very upset about all this and i would not recommend this hotel to anyone.

Who cares if you have reservations and a confirmation #!

In May of 2005 my husband and I along with two of our good friends made reservations at the Sheraton on Virginia Beach for July 16 to the 23rd. We gave our credit card and were given a confirmation number. We had been to Virginia Beach 5 years ago and loved it! We left our home in Mass. @ 6:00 AM on the 16th and arrived at the Sheraton @ 8:45PM only to be told that our rooms would not be available until the next day. Apparently the people who had our room had decided to stay an extra night and there were no rooms availabe so they let them stay in our reserved room! We were told they had 1 smoking room (we had reserved nonsmoking) with 2 double beds that the 4 of us could share, or they would get us a room down 2 blocks for the night just off the Boardwalk. We were exhausted as you can imagine after over 14 hours on the road but they could have cared less. I also informed them that my husband was recuperating from a recent heart attack and he didn't need this added stress never mind that we would have to unpack our car only to repack it again the next day. It fell on deaf ears. No manager was availabe (big surprise). We left stayed in a dump down the street and when we should have been on the beach enjoying our vacation we we checking out and into hotels. No apology from the manager (another big surprise). On Wed. they had a problem with a backup two floors above our room and our entire room smelled like a sewer, when we called the front desk they were rude and after insisting they do something they sent maintance to our room and we were told to run the water and it would go away, it didn't. Finally the night manager called and spoke to my husband and offered us 2 free nights at another Sheraton at a later date. My husband informed him that we would NEVER stay at another Sheraton again.
Virginia Beach is a beautiful place to spend your vacation and we will return again however we will NOT STAY AT THE SHERATON!

nice family stay at the oceanfront

by TripAdvisor Member NYbeachmom

We had a nice week longfamily stay at the sheraton oceanfront in July. Nice looking hotel, clean rooms, very comfortable beds. The bathroom was small, room was a little tight for a family of 4 (had a king bed with pull out sofa room), but had a pleasant stay. The new pool (not shown on the website before our trip) is a fabulous, free form pool. Kids and adults alike had nice time cooling off in it. Has a shaded area and a small waterfall area. Also theres a pool side bar to get cocktails and listen to music. Beach was right there, but bring your own beach chairs, rentals were pricy and hotel doesn't provide them at the beach. Staff (especially the valet guys) were helpful in pointing us in the right direction for dinner. On site restaurant had tasty food, staff always smiling and friend, especially Christain the restaurant manager, kids were excited about the breakfast buffet offered every morning. Lounge next to restaurant, nice place to sit and relax, but we found it underutilized as there was no staff to order anything from. Indoor pool nice change of pace to be out of the sun, only one of the hot tubs was working on days we went but indoor pool never had more than a handful of people in it. Overall, enjoyed our stay, kids had fun and would go back possibly looking into booking a suite.

Not what I expected from a Sheraton

Just got back from a week at this hotel. I never read the reviews on this hotel before I booked it, and I wish I had. I may have thought twice about staying here. When you book a Sheraton, you expect above average service. Our stay wasn't horrible, but it wasn't great either. I can completely relate to some of these other reviews.

Pool- For the most part, the pool water was clean, but there was a considerable amount of sand in one of the pools all the time. It also didn't look like any of the small tables that you could use near the lounge chairs were ever washed. I constantly noticed sand and hair on them. Also, the lounge chairs themselves were not very comfortable. As soon as you laid back into them, the back would snap out of place and you needed to push it back in.

Elevators- Two elevators for 11 floors is not enough. On check out day, it took us 25 minutes to get an elevator. Plus the service elevator was broken so we were sharing it with housekeeping as well. That even maid it more difficult.

Breakfast Buffet- Ate here one day. Scrambled eggs were runny. French Toast was cold and I really think it was made on stale bread since the crust was very hard. Bacon was extremely greasy.

Housekeeping- We were disappointed to find out that housekeeping does not clean rooms that are occupied until at least 4 pm. I have never heard of such a thing. That is when you come back from the beach and want to get cleaned up for dinner. After the first two days we complained, and the manager did have housekeeping do our room between 10 and 12. But on our last day there, they didn't arrive until 3:00 which is right when we were showering. It would also help if they could speak some English. We could not communicate with our housekeeper.

A/C Unit- Leaked, leaked, leaked. And I heard numerous other people complain about this too. In fact, our ceiling looked like it had a leak coming through which was probably from the AC. After 3 complaints, we finally got a new one. They were supposed to clean and dry our rug. They must not have a wet/dry vac because it took 5 days for the rug too dry out. Smelled musty every time we walked in our room. After our 3rd complaint they knocked $35 a night for our last 2 nights off the bill. We complained again at checkout, and they finally took another $35 a night off of 3 more nights.

Lower Level Bathroom- Has a nasty odor to it.

In-Room Refrigerators- I guess some of them are set to only keep cold items slightly below room temperature. That doesn't help when you are trying to keep milk cold. My husband pulled it out of it's housing, and guessed which way to turn the contraption in the back (there was no knob). Luckily it was the right direction.

Rooms- The bed was comfy. Pillows were comfy. Remodeled nicely. Bathroom is too small and there is no where to hang towels. Pull out couch and chair could be updated though. It would be nice to have a screen door on the deck so you could have the door open.

I have stayed in numerous hotels and would not stay at this particular Sheraton again.

Under-achieving Sheraton

I made reservations at this Sheraton after looking at the available choices on the Virginia Beach boardwalk. There is a tiny parking lot across the street associated with this hotel which didn't really give the best impression.

Check-in was easy and done by a very friendly employee. That was our only interaction with the staff so I guess no complaints there. Our room, however, left a lot to be desired. We stayed in a king plus pull-out sofa room on the 2nd floor. It had a half-circle balcony with two plastic chairs that had a great view of the beach, but something gross was dripping all over it so you couldn't really sit out there. The room itself was quite small, but appeared to be clean. The bathroom, however, was pretty gross. The countertops and shower walls appeared to be some kind of marble-tile and looked clean. But the ceiling was quite damaged and stips of drywall were hanging down. I remember rinsing my hair in the shower wishing I had safety glasses in case of falling debris. I tend to be grossed out by the entire room if the bathroom doesn't look clean so I wasn't real comfortable after I saw that. Plus our non-smoking room reeked like cigarettes so that lent to the unclean feeling. I also noticed that the room next to us was being aired out for more than 24 hours so I have no idea what happened there.

In summary, the place wasn't horrible, but I would definitely stay somewhere else if I ever went back. The Courtyard by Marriot was nearby and looked pretty attractive.

Disappointed

Stayed Oct 6-8. This is a nice, clean, well-kept hotel with good service, but has so many added,unnecessary costs. All of the extra fees made it not worth the stay for me. $9.95 per night for internet access in the room; local phone call charges; $75 early departure fee even with more than 24 hours notice; no breakfast offered free; etc. All of the hotels in the area are expensive, but this one is expensive with lots of extra costs besides (even though our stay was in the off season). Hopefully, you knowing ahead of time will not cause you to be as disappointed and frustrataed as I was.

Did not live up to it's Hype!

by TripAdvisor Member Thelma&Louise

This was a very run of the mill Sheraton. It's redeeming feature was that is was right on tyhe boardwalk and overlooking the beach. We couldn't have wished for a better location. Car parking is accross the main road and at the time we checked in there was no help available for the luggage.
We stayed out of season (September 2005) and felt that the attitude of the staff was also out of season! They were ill-informed and unhelpful when we asked about local places to visit. The 'Heavenly Beds' were not up to the usual standard. There was a small balcony which just about held a couple of chairs. The hotel was Modern, concrete and souless.
As there are many other hotels on the boardwalk I would not choose to stay again here.

Fantastic location but lacks attention to cleanliness and service

I stayed two nights at this hotel and fell in love with the location. The front desk had very little information about local attractions and there was none in the lobby. My companions told me their service for breakfast at the hotel restaurant was poor to nonexistant. I found good, cheap food and friendly service at the coffee shop next door. The cleanliness of this hotel is very lacking. The bathroom contains instructions about leaving your towels on the floor if you want new ones and to hang them up if you want to reuse them. I left mine hanging over the shower rod but later my roommate noticed that used towel appeared to have been refolded and stacked with the "clean" towels on the rack. Gross!! When packing to leave I was checking the floors for items we might have left and I pulled a bag of trash and a salt shaker (?) from the floor under the edge of the bedspread. It wasn't ours and had not been found by the maids during our stay (so how long had it been there?) I noticed then that the rest of the carpet also needed vacuuming. The convention I was attending was next to the oceanfront verand (fantastic view), which we were also using. As of noon the area still contained used silverware, dirty table linens, and food scraps from the evening before. The positives of this hotel are: the bell staff was very helpful and had great attitudes, the location was fantastic, and we were lucky enough for a good view for whale watching.

Not the best Sheraton but comfortable

by TripAdvisor Member TomandSian

The rooms are standard Sheraton affairs. Balcony a bit rickety and decorated with guano! Pleasant staff. Undergoing badly needed renovation in the dining room which will be complete by summer 06. Front desk did not validate airmiles. Great boardwalk access and plenty of local (fast) food. Indoor and outdoor pools (3).
Having said all that, we got a great value rate and enjoyed the short stay.

Comments