Rt 340, White Post, Virginia, 22663, United States
L'Auberge Provencale Bed and Breakfast
Hotels.com Travelocity Booking.com

More about L'Auberge Provencale

Beautiful Property - Five Star Food

by TripAdvisor Member DCProgCoord.

My husband and I spent our first anniversary at L'Auberge and got the Al Fresco package. We stayed in room #8, which overlooked a beautiful French garden on one side and quiet cow pastures on the other. The room was very comfortable and beatifully decorated. I especially liked the tile in the shower and around the fireplace.

The grounds of L'Auberge are well-manicured and really lovely for a stroll or to sit and watch the sunset. They have small benches tucked into corners of the garden. L'Auberge has a small orchard where they grow some of the fruits used in the recipes, and a beautiful garden with loads of fresh vegetables, flowers, and herbs (also used in the cooking and in the dining room for decoration.)

The breakfasts are five star, as it the restaurant. Breakfast always included fresh croissants in addition to other pastries, fruit, yogurt, granola, and an entree. The entree always included meat (pork or duck when we stayed), something with potatoes, a slice of thick bacon, and an egg dish (a frittata, or poached egg.)

Dinner in the restaurant is divine! The food is simply exquisite and is the quality that you would expect in a New York or other big city restaurant. Excellent service too. They went our of their way to make us feel special and even gave us menus that wished us a happy anniversary on it.

Activities: Our package included a picnic (delicious, but too much food) and horseback riding at the Rocking S Ranch in Winchester, which were both delightful. Shenandoah National Park is a short drive and where we spent a lot of our time.

This place is perfect for a country retreat for those of us in the DC area and also for special occasions. The down side is that, yes, the wife innkeeper is not especially friendly. When we arrived, they had our dinner reservation down for the wrong day, which was correct in the confirmation we were sent by e-mail. We mentoned this but it was not corrected. Luckily we asked about it in the morning where our server finally corrected our reservation. When we went to the office to check on our other arrangements, the wife innkeeper acted like we were trying to change things and it wasn't their mistake when it was.

Not our favorite.....

by TripAdvisor Member Cynanne

We stay at 2 or 3 Bed and Breakfasts per year for the last 5+ years and I'd have to rank this one the lowest of all, we never saw the owners once during our 2 night stay. We are used to warm friendly Inns where the owners spend time with you and tell you about the area and the history of the home, definitely not worth the price for the room or the dinner. The Inn itself was decorated nicely, the housekeeper was friendly, the steam shower was great, but overall just not what we are looking for.

Not so Provencale

by TripAdvisor Member Pavel63

Recently we spent three days at L'Auberge Provencale at White Post,VA. We decided to stay there after reading several reviews on the Trip Advisor.
First, the accomodation is just avarage.The suite consisted of a main room and a smaller adjacent room with another bed.The bathroom was nice and cheerful.The house is situated close to a busy road and the road noise was qiute annoying. The suite had a large balcony but the road noise was such that we could not use it.
The food was good but not outstanding.The price for two was approx. $240 with a tip, including desserts and a bottle of $65 French wine which was quite mediocre.
The breakfast consisted of choice of yogurts and freshly cut fruit.The cooked part of the breakfast was too heavy for us and we did not order it.
There is no adjacent land or park and there very little landscaping in front of the house.
Last year we spent several weeks in Provence,France and believe me there is very little "Provencale" about L'Auberge Provencale in White Post.VA.

Uncompromised standards

by TripAdvisor Member itinerant87

It has been over 20 years since we started coming to Auberge for our very special celebrations. We were never disappointed and always look back to coming to Auberge again. Celeste and Alain Borel are wonderful and truly talented people who re-created the air of Provence with a classy decor and delicious and authentic cuisine. We have spent many times in Provence proper and we can attest to the genuine atmospherte of hospitality and allure of Auberge as being true to its title.
Running a successful B&B is not an easy proposition and Auberge managed to survive and excel despite the times of recession and periods of anti-French sentiment without compromising its standards. We are very thankful that a place like Auberge Provencale set sthe benchmark for hospitality, creativity and service. We are looking forward to many more happy times at Auberge.

Underwhelming

by TripAdvisor Member GregSavage3

Had great expectations but the place and the food are a yawn. Not bad, but certainly nothing to rave about in any sense whatsoever. And as such extremely overpriced. This place has received accolades for decades but it would seem it is resting on them now. If this were a motel rather than an intended quaint country inn, I'd give it a 4 star rating. And it's close enough to the highway to be a motel! Staff is friendly and wait staff is very good.

Perfect D.C. Escape

by TripAdvisor Member dcrez

We arranged to stay at L'Auberge Provencale for our first wedding anniversary and couldn't have made a better choice for a country getaway. The grounds were beautifully lit and decorated for the holidays, with a gorgeous main house that met all of our expectations for what a county manor in Virginia hunt country should be. We anxiously awaited the famous L'Auberge dining we had read about, and again, were not disappointed. The breakfast included innovative takes on typical fare, but the real standouts were the french pastries, perfectly executed and on par with anything we had experienced during our previous stays in France. Dinner was exceptional -- there was enough experimentation in the menu to keep things interesting, e.g., venison ceviche, grilled quail with pomegranite -- without losing sight of what a true provencale meal should deliver. We also felt the innkeeper's special touch when the menus arrived congratulating us on our anniversary.

For the most part we enjoyed the relative hands off approach of the staff at L'Auberge. When solicited, we received excellent recommendations for day trips in the area and the staff was happy to accomodate special requests for activities requring reservations. The staff also provided beautiful service each time we dined at L'Auberge. Our one criticism is that, upon arrival, there was no one to formally greet us and it was unclear for some time that we were in the right place. Seeing no one else, we flagged down a waiter who directed us to wait in the siting area and enjoy warm cider and cookies by the fire. The atmosphere was as pleasant as could be; however, we waited at least 15 minutes unattended, and I had to track down another waiter to remind them of our presence before the manager finally arrived and checked us in. While we are not the type of people who enjoy excessive hovering by innkeepers, this part of the experience left us a little cold. Notwithstanding that one snafu, however, we had an excellent stay and can't wait to return to experience the perfect blend of provencale cuisine and refined country charm that L'Auberge offers.

A culinary Experience

by TripAdvisor Member zplasty

Stayed here for our 5th anniversary on the Repast package. Our intent was quiet, relaxation and amazing food which is exactly what we got. The room was very well maintained and decorated in country French style. Very warm and cozy; and thank God no TV. Perfect for reading on the couch and relaxing. The highlight of the stay is the food. Dinner in the main dining room was an experience we wont forget soon: Chicken liver pate amuse bouche, pan seared fois gras, braised short ribs, rack of lamb, and an excellent Paulliac. Breakfast was also excellent, especially the truffled fritata with duck. We order the picnic basket and tour a few of the local wineries.

All in all I would highly recommend this charming inn and the food is some of the best French cuisine in Virginia.

What a place and what breakfasts!

by TripAdvisor Member pippincomestoo

What a relaxing stay! The room was perfect, the door opened onto a herb garden and we could see cattle coming to drink from a pond out of our window.

We stayed 4 nights and were really sad to leave. The breakfasts were beyond compare, and my wheat intolerance was no problem. After having crab cakes one day and lobster another, my breakfasts at home will never be the same again.

We ate at the restaurant one evening, and that was amazing, not cheap but well worth the splurge. Service was really attentive without being intimidating, which is the a good description of our stay overall. Whatever we needed help with was attended to in a friendly manner without fuss.

We had some excellent recommendations from our breakfast waitress on wineries to vist and other things to do while we waited for the weather to be conducive to the skyline drive....all were greatly appreciated.

All in all an excellent place to stay as a base for exploring the Virginia countryside. Terry and the team have much to be proud of.

Finally--attention to detail--decor, food, and service

by TripAdvisor Member sparkyPhiladelphia

This was my fourth stay at L'Auberge Provencale and I am a big fan!. My business requires me to travel rurally a lot, and I usually stay in inns--over 100 in the last 2 years! This is one of my absolute favorites and I have recommended it to many friends. The sense of service from the staff is rarely experienced in this country at a small inn. The food has always been outstanding--better I would say than other nearby and more praised restaurants. As for the accommodations, I am one who appreciates the details--the custom fabrics, the fine linens, and the quality of the appointments, including artwork that is really ART. It just seems to make me happy--all the bright provencale colors, etc really made me feel I was very far away! I would recommend this wonderful hideaway to anyone who is interested in escaping the "vanilla" norm of B&Bs today. And be sure to save room for the inspired breakfast--if I have one more "make-the-night-before" french toast casserole I am gong to die! Here, the emphasis is on innovation. Breakfast was just as enjoyable as dinner. Exceptional wine list. If you can't stay over, at least enjoy a dinner there!

Simply must be experienced

by TripAdvisor Member Marshalton

My husband and I recently came back from a few days respite at L'Auberge Provencale over the New Year's holiday. Although we have visited before, our stays at both the Inn and the Villa never cease to delight us. This visit we stayed in Room 13 at the Villa which, as with all their rooms, is totally unique, outfitted in warm Provencale colors and fabrics, staying in this room truly made us feel as though we were being pampered at a villa in the south of France.

The service for both housekeeping and dining is impeccable. The staff is knowledgeable, friendly and helpful without being intrusive.

The meals served at the Inn, and breakfasts at the Villa are never short of amazing. It would be futile to try to describe the menus - it simply has to be experienced!

Comments