Boxwood Inn of Williamsburg

708 Richmond Road, Williamsburg, Virginia, 23185, United States

More about Boxwood Inn of Williamsburg

Spectacular Inn......it doesn't get better than this!

by TripAdvisor Member flashy24

This was our third visit to the Boxwood Innn and we just booked another reservation for the 2006 winter season. This spectacular Inn is now our standard for comparison with all other B&B's around the country. We love to travel, and stay at B&B's during our many excursions. We've been spoiled by the Boxwood Inn and the Innkeepers charm and willingness to please their guests.

After a wonderful nights sleep in their charming bedrooms (We've stayed in the Monroe Room, the Washington Room and the Carriage House)--each one has their own special touches. We give this B&B a 5- Star Rating. They served the best breakfasts we have eaten. Each mouthful was worthy of the many calories we consumed. Buy the Bed and Breakfast Cookbook, their Pecan French Toast Recipe is included in it and shouldn't be missed!!!

The Innkeepers were so helpful and knowledgeable and shared tips about their favorite restaurants and sightseeing excursions. We felt so at home and appreciated the beautiful antiques, the linens, the porch, sunroom, reading room and the close proximity to the Market Square and Colonial Williamsburg. We can see why they received the Beautification Award for the City of Williamsburg! They personally take care of the grounds and landscaping themselves...this is a first class Inn.

Each time we've visited, we enjoyed the decorations displayed for the various holidays. As we love our visits to Williamsburg and try to visit at least two to three times annuallly. We've had the opportunity of spending time in other Williamsburg B&B;s......none can compare to the Boxwood Inn. We have recommended this Inn to other family members and friends and they, too, share our feelings.

As we always appreciate candid reviews on the TripAdvisor, we felt we should share our reviews with you. It is a first class resort and we recommend it highly. The Innkeepers, Steve and Sandi, should be commended for their extraordinary service. Thank you for making us feel welcome during each of our visits.

Lovely Surroundings and Wonderful Hospitality

The Boxwood Inn of Williamsburg in Virginia is, simply put, the best bed and breakfast that my husband and I have visited. We stayed for two nights in the Jefferson Room. The room is spacious and the bed is so comfortable I found it hard to get up for breakfast in the morning. I was very glad that I did get up for breakfast because we had delicious praline french toast, egg casserole, and sausage! It was heavenly. I could not believe it when I found out that the inn owner, Sandi, makes all of her own food. She even told me she makes her own whipped cream from scratch. We had that the second morning with waffles and fresh strawberries!

Aside from the beautiful room and scrumptious food, Steve and Sandi are wonderful to chat with. They provided my husband and I with excellent suggestions for our day and dinner plans. We certainly enjoyed colonial williamsburg and it turned out that everything we wanted to do was within walking distance. In the evenings after dinner my husband and I were able to sit on the porch at the inn and enjoy the gardens surrounding the house. So relaxing. We will be visiting Williamsburg again this year and will plan on staying at the Boxwood Inn again. This time I have been assured by my husband that we will get to try the Carriage House. I can't wait.

Wonderful Weekend Getaway

My husband travels a lot for the military so it’s rare that we’re in the same place at the same time. And since it’s almost our 2 yr anniversary and we STILL haven’t had the opportunity to go on a honeymoon, I decided Williamsburg would be a great place to spend a couple days. So I searched every where for a B&B. The websites I looked at were not very inviting until I saw the Boxwood Inn. The only available room was the Washington Carriage suite and when I read the description, I knew it was a sign. A honeymoon suite separate from the rest of the house was perfect. Plus it was close to the Merchant Square, which we heard about great restaurants and shops from friends. We also wanted to tour the Williamsburg Winery so the location was perfect. When I called for a reservation, Steve was very helpful in recommending restaurants and even gave me the numbers to a few. We arrived to this marvelous house and Steve gave us a tour. It was perfect. We did the tour at the winery and on our way back, I got a flat tire. We made it back to the Boxwood but it was pouring down rain. So we sat outside, under a beautiful porch and drank some wine that we had purchased earlier. Needless to say, we didn’t let a flat ruin our weekend so we put the spare on and headed to Merchant Square. We had a wonderful dinner at the Fat Canary (which Steve had recommended) and dessert at the Trelis. It was a wonderful experience. The next morning we had a delicious breakfast (prepared by Steve’s wife Sandy), and Steve even called a tire place to get our tire fixed. Exceptional service. We will definitely recommend the Boxwood Inn to anyone who plans on visiting Williamsburg. And we’ll hopefully make it a yearly tradition to visit there ourselves. Thanks again, Sandy and Steve. We don’t get many opportunities to take trips together and your hospitality and accommodations made it very memorable.

Lovley Inn, but won't stay again

by TripAdvisor Member whepeel

The Boxwood Inn was lovely - the grounds, garden, room, bathroom, dining room, everything. Pristine. Clean. Like a museum.

The breakfast was great, the bed comfortable, and it was beautifully appointed. But this Inn just wasn't warm and inviting, and we felt like we were either in a museum and didn't want to touch anything (there is signage in the room telling you what you could and couldn't do - run the whirlpool for only 10 minutes at a time, no oil or lotion on the linens, etc.) We figured that for the price of our stay at the inn, we would rather just stay in a hotel the next time we visit Colonial Williamsburg.

It just seemed like we were houseguests and a wee-bit unwelcome at that...We have stayed in B&Bs in NYC, San Francisco, Philadelphia, London, etc - so we do have a point of reference with regard to B&Bs....and though everything looked beautiful, there's nothing like a friendly innkeeper. The Boxwood sort of lacked those comfortable little details that we enjoy. (Sorry!)

Awesome Stay

by TripAdvisor Member Tennesseeck

Wow . . . what hosts! Thank you so much for an awesome stay. The B&B is beautiful and we felt most welcome. The food was fantastic! I was thinking about those waffles all the way back to Tennessee. The Boxwood Inn is the quintessential colonial home and we thoroughly enjoy our stay. I can't
think of one negative comment. Thanks again for having such high standards, affordable prices and a lovely attitude!

A beautiful B&B

by TripAdvisor Member Terpla

The Inn is meticulously clean, and beautifully decorated all a big plus. The grounds also well groomed and cared for attentively. Our room faced the front of the street and even so it was very quiet at night so sleeping was not a problem. The room we stayed in was the Monroe and although adequate we found it too small. If I were to go back to Boxwood, I would definitely chose the Jefferson room. There is a sign in the room telling you what you shoudn't do which I have never seen in other B&B's.

The owners were not there when we arrived and that was somewhat disappointing. When Sandi came the next day her breakfasts were wonderfully delicious and very filling. She was also very friendly and chatted with us in the morning.

We never met Steve although I had spoken with him on the phone when making reservations.

There were no amenities at night such as hot water to make tea or ice for water till I had asked for it. The ice was graciously supplied after the request. I thought this would have been a nice touch as many other B&B's we have stayed in have done this and have even put cookies out in the evening. There was never anyone around after breakfast and it felt more like a hotel than a B&B.

All in all I would not hesitate to stay there again although it is really not walking distance to Colonial Williamsburg, unless you want to walk a couple of miles. It is a very short drive so we did not find that a problem.

What a treat!

My husband and I just returned from our second stay at The Boxwood Inn and it certainly won't be our last. We had visited during the Christmas holiday last year and the decorations were so beautiful I was afraid this time of year might be a letdown. No need to worry, the fall decor was equally fabulous with gorgeous flowers, pumpkins and decorations everywhere.

I think I must have been royalty in a former life, beacuse I am just WAY too comfortable in this luxurious setting. The softest sheets and beds I have ever slept in, and the breakfast... to die for. We stayed in the Carriage House which I highly recommend if you've never understood those people who say "I don't care about the room because I don't spend much time there." Believe me, you will want to spend time in THIS room which is complete with an amazing whirlpool tub and fireplace.

When you do go out, the location is ideal and the W&M campus and Colonial area are just a short stroll away.

The hospitality was also great, and we ended up spending much of our morning laughing and talking with the owners and their two adorable pugs, Scooter and Lucy. I laugh just remembering them and am already looking forward to our next visit.

Beautiful Boxwood Inn of Williamsbug, Virginia

by TripAdvisor Member topatch

Boxwood Inn in Williamsburg, Virginia

My husband and I stayed at the Boxwood Inn for 2 nights in September. The Jefferson room was very comfortable and inviting. Plenty of privacy. The house itself is something you just have to see. Beautifully decorated inside and outside. You can tell the innkeepers put a lot of time and effort into the Boxwood Inn. It really shows! You feel at home as soon as you walk in. One of the many things we loved about it was that it is only one and a half miles from historic Williamsburg! It is a nice walk and there is so much to look at when you are walking that you are in historic Williamsburg before you know it! After the generous and delicious breakfastT each morning the walk is an extra bonus. The innkeepers make you feel very comfortable and their knowledge of the area is very helpful for out of town guests. Not only do they recommend the historic sights in Wiliamsburg but also local restaurants, best roads to travel, etc.
I would recommend this Bed and Breakfast to everyone. I know we will only stay at the Boxwood Inn when we visit Williamsburg, Virginia again.

The Very Best

by TripAdvisor Member 1,000placestosee

We stayed at the Boxwood Inn of Williamsburg for a getaway weekend. As usual we surveyed the reviews on Tripadvisor for insight and found very positive reviews.

After staying at the Inn only one questions arises, how can Boxwood Inn not be rated #1 in Williamsburg, or for that matter Virginia. I can only suspect that it is because the Inn has only four rooms or guests are trying to keep their secret, therefore, not enough five star reviews are written.

We stayed in the Carriage House Room and it was impeccable. The Inn itself is immaculate and you feel at home the moment you walk through the door. The Inn was decorated for the holidays and you felt as if you were going home when you entered. The common areas (living, dining and den) are so comfortable you don't want to leave. As noted in every review, the breakfasts are legendary, and we were not dissapointed. The food is amazing. Sandi and Steve were perfect hosts, offering incredible insight into the undiscovered Williamsburg, but never intruding upon one's quiet time at the Inn.

I have read two criticisms of the Inn and I felt I must address. Some have said that the walk to the "historic" area is too long and we did not find this so at all. The walk was absolutely enjoyable and, after all, isn't walking what Williamsburg is about. Another comment has been made about rules being posted in the rooms and after staying at the Inn I cannot understand this criticism. Sandi and Steve have invested incredible time and effort (and I suspect money) into an Inn anyone would be proud to own or visit. To follow a few common sense rules was not the least bit offensive and I would do likewise if I was the Innkeeper of such a marvelous B&B.

In closing, why anyone would choose to stay elsewhere in Williamsburg defys logic. To spend the day in historic Williamsburg only then to be able to retreat to such an amazing Inn, one wonders if life can be any better. My only hope, and I say this of only one other B&B (Annapolis Inn, MD), is that whenever we call a room will be ready and waiting.

Thank you Steve and Sandi!!

Lovely Getaway

by TripAdvisor Member DCWashington

We stayed at the Boxwood for three nights recently, and were very impressed (as other reviewers have been) with breakfast, the beds and with the amazing upkeep and cleanliness of the grounds and the inn. In addition, Steve's recommendations for local places to eat were spot-on and really added to our experience.

Reading the other reviews, I have a couple of comments. We walked into Colonial Williamsburg - it took us 15 minutes, was about half a mile, and was a lovely walk past part of William and Mary. I'm not sure why one reviewer knew there wasn't anyone around during the day -we were so busy with the activities in Williamsburg every day that we never would have noticed. The rules that were posted were entirely reasonable, though the tone ("red wine is prohibited") was a bit jarring. In the end, we're all adults, and understand the need for the rules, so it didn't throw us off.

All in all, we had a wonderful time and would definitely recommend the Boxwood to friends travelling to Williamsburg.

Comments