Days Inn Colonial Resort

720 Lightfoot Road, Williamsburg, Virginia, 23188, United States
Holiday Inn Express Williamsburg North
HIExpress.com Booking.com Expedia.com

More about Williamsburg

Bob showing the bird wallpaper in the supper roomBob showing the bird wallpaper in the supper room

Hog Wild SmokehouseHog Wild Smokehouse

Inside one of the Pohwatan hutsInside one of the Pohwatan huts

More gardensMore gardens

Advice for Honeymoon

by heatherhendrix

I would like all the advice I can get on what to do in Williamsburg, VA. My fiance and I are going there on our honeymoon that last week in October. I have looked at all there is to do there and I have no idea where to start. Should I buy a travel package deal or should I wait till we get there to buy tickets? Also advice on where to stay would be nice. We are wanting a nice hotel, but not too pricey. We aren't going to be in it that much so we would rather use our money on other things. But we don't want to stay in a run down place either. We thought about driving out to VA Beach one of our days and viewing all the lighthouses and attractions out there. But we are more interested in the colonial part so that's where we want to spend the majority of our trip. So any suggestions would be great.

Thanks
Heather Crane/Hendrix (to be)

Re: Advice for Honeymoon

by Hopkid

Definitely take a drive up Route 5 from W'burg towards Richmond and visit the historic plantations along the way. http://www.jamesriverplantations.org/

You might want to continue on to Richmond and have dinner here one night as well. There are many good restaurants and I can recommend some if you tell me what you're interested in and what your price range is. As far as colonial sites, the state capitol was designed by Jefferson and is the oldest government assembly building still in use in the U.S. today. There's also St. John's Church in Church Hill where the second Virginia Congress was held and where Patrick Henry gave his famous "Give me liberty, or give me death" speech. Most of the other sites in town are Civil War related. You might want to go out to Charlottesville also where there's Jefferson's home, Monticello and of course his university, the University of Virginia.

Definitely let me know if you have more questions. Oh, and congrats!

Andy

Re: Advice for Honeymoon

by HFC1

When you get to the Colonial Williamsburg Visitors Center, walk to the round kiosk on the ground floor ask them for the "This Week" brochure. Keep on walking through the Center to the area where the shuttle bus picks you up. Right before you get to the elevator on your right will be a rack of magazines and brochures that help tourists plan out the their visit.

If you plan to return to Colonial Williamsburg more than once a year, I suggest that both of you get the "Independence Pass".

Travel Tips for Williamsburg

Visitor's Centre

by b1bob

The very first thing all visitors to Colonial Williamsburg see is the visitor's centre. This is where you buy your tickets to tour the historic area. In October, 2004, the ticket prices ranged from $29-69. The plan that gives you the most bang for the buck is the $45 Key To The City plan. This gives you access to the whole historic area including the Capitol and Governor's Palace. The only hitch is, it's good for two days and I do this in a day. It may seem like a waste, but the Capitol and Governor's Palace are well worth the extra money. There is also a theatre where they show you a short movie Williamsburg: The Story of a Patriot. There are numerous gift shops on each level of the visitor's centre. After you buy your ticket and see the movie, you go down the stairs to meet your shuttle bus which takes you in a circuit around the historic area back to the visitor's centre when you've had enough history for one day.

NOTE: Click here to check on current prices and new features.

When to come?

by matcrazy1

Whenever you have time/vacation and... enough budget. Well, if you can choose I would consider two factors: weather and possible crowds. Both are not at all predictable.

But I would skip both hot summer and rainy/sometimes freezing and rarely snowy winter. I would choose either spring with blowing flowers (April - early June) or fall (October or November). In the middle of October I amazed pretty fall colours of leaves although it was 1-2 weeks before the peak of fall colours.

I would expect more crowds and avoid Williamsburg during weekends, holidays and especially during American long weekends close to the following national holidays:
- Memorial Day (last Monday of May),
- Independence Day (July, 4),
- Labour Day (first Monday of September))
- Thanksgiving Day (4th Thursday of November).

Georgian architecture

by matcrazy1

The mansions and upper class houses were built in Georgian style in Williamsburg in the 18th century. The George Wythe House is a very good example of the style. At first the edifice didn't look very attractive, but I noticed a few interesting feautures of colonial 18th century Georgian houses.

1. The building displays typical for Georgian style Renaissance-inspired symmetry, balanced geometry and proportions, explained by Phillip Kopper here. I found it rather boring. Someone said: symmetry is a feature of fools.

2. The ground floor is raised a little bit (1-2 feet, 0.3 - 0.6 m) above the ground. It saved the house against possible floods after heavy rains and allowed to put small windows down which let some light into a low basement. Before invention of refrigerator upclass houses must have cellars to store food and wine/beer.

3. The second-floor windows are shorter and narrower than those on the first floor. Traditionally the first floor was more public, the second more private (less light needed) in colonial mansions.

4. The house looks like the second floor would be added a little bit later or even designed by someone else. The colour of bricks is a little bit different on each floor. The bricks are laid in Flemish bond above the water table and older English bond below with a three-brick course.

Kiskiak

by upesnlwc

From the moment you tee off on the first hole, you'll realize why Kiskiack Golf Club is so unique. The beautiful surroundings will allow you to unwind, our spectacular views will inspire you, and our challenging layout will awaken your spirit.

Set along the ridge of a natural bluff, Kiskiack offers an enjoyable golf experience for players of all levels. While many of our picturesque holes demand accurate shot making from tee to green, others are more forgiving and feature ample landing areas and gently sloping greens.

On the front nine, you'll relax while winding through mature hardwoods and over natural rolling hills. On the back nine, your are put to the test at every turn. Our award-winning architect John LaFoy has truly offered golfers the opportunity to "Capture the Spirit of the Game." Golf Course Scorecard:
Yardage Par Rating Slope
Gold 6,775 72 72.7 128
Green 6,405 72 70.6 123
White 5,595 72 67.2 113
Red 4,902 71 67.8 112

The Coke-Garrett House

by matcrazy1

This house is located a little off the beaten path, northeast of the Capitol. It consists of three or even four different structures which are joined (look here). I found it unique in colonial Williamsburg where each house stays as a single unit and houses are always seperated from the neighbouring ones by at least narrow alleyway.

The land on which the house stands was purchased by John Coke in 1755 and the western portion of the house was built about that time. The Garrett family acquired the home in 1810. After the Battle Of Williamsburg in May 1862, dr Robert Major Garrett turned his home into a hospital.
Currently the house is the private property closed to the public.

Comments