Econo Lodge Parkway

Satisfaction Average

More about Williamsburg

The Well HouseThe Well House

Memorial ChurchMemorial Church

A horn player in front of Chowning'sA horn player in front of Chowning's

Duke of Gloucester St in WilliamsburgDuke of Gloucester St in Williamsburg

driving from Williamsburg to Nyc

by bugalugs

Hi to anyone who reads this plea!!!!! We live in England and will be in Williamsburg for a few days but will leave on Sunday 31st August (which I know is your labour weekend), we are then driving up to Nyc and we want to know which is the best way to go.
Is it stright up the route 95 or would it be better to head back to Newport news/Va Beach area and drive across the Chesapeake Bay Bridge/tunnel and then straight up the route 13 into Philadelphia and then onto Nyc?
I dont know if the mileage is must different but a few people keep saying that the route 95 is chockablock and always road works, and also taking into consideration it is a holiday weekend.
Any info would be appreciated.
I know I have asked a similar question in the forum a couple of weejs ago, but we didnt realise then that this would be the holiday weekend.
Thanks in advance.
Dianne

Re: driving from Williamsburg to Nyc

by travelmad478

Interstate Route 95 will be MUCH faster no matter when you go. There is a bit of construction on parts of this road, but that is nothing compared to the delays you will suffer on the secondary roads and, especially, bridges. I-95 is the widest, most-traveled highway along the East Coast and it is built for long-distance travel. The other route you describe will be more scenic, but it will probably take at least 50% more time.

By the way, August 31 should be a fairly calm day, traffic-wise. Since this is a three-day weekend, most people will be on the roads only on Monday Sept. 1. You are actually doing the right thing by driving on Sunday.

by bugalugs

Thanks for the reply, but could you also tell me, does this road 95 have places along it where you can stop to stretch your legs/walk about and go to the loo? We have driven along it last year from Nyc to DC but we didnt stop it was pouring down there were some accidents on the road which held us up a bit, but I think we did it in about 4 hours. We are motorway services along our motorways here in England, and signs saying when they are coming up with restaurants/petrol etc, does this road also have them?

Re: driving from Williamsburg to Nyc

by b1bob

The routes you describe aren't the only ways to do it. I-64 to I-95 is by far the quickest way from Williamsburg to New York. However, if you want a more scenic route, do this:

1. Take I-64 west to I-295 (exit 200).
2. Take I-295 to Route 301 north (exit 41).
3. Take Route 301 north through the northeastern Virginia countryside, crossing the Potomac River into Maryland through to Millersville.

4. Take I-97 north to just south of Baltimore through to I-695 (exit 4).

5. Go east on I-695 and north (it's a beltway) to I-95 north (exit 33).

It's a nice and scenic diversion of about 200 miles (300 km.) from the interstate, all that without having to take a highly indirect and more time-consuming route through Hampton Roads.

by bugalugs

Thanks Nat, I have a map here in front of me, where it crosses the Potomoac though it says Owens, is that where you mean? Will this take longer than just going straight up route 95 from Richmond?
Is it a bridge or tunnel that crosses the Potomac?

by b1bob

The Harry Nice bridge (on Route 301) is strictly a bridge. The interesting thing is that it's free for northbound traffic, but toll for southbound (Maryland charges you to leave the state). So, you'll save yourself $10 by going this route as opposed to the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel. Incidentally, are you planning to visit Richmond at all?

by bugalugs

Oh Nat that will please my husband, when I tell him there is no toll charge going Northwards - lol.
No sorry Nat we are going straight up to Nyc from Williamsburg spending two nights there, and then back to the DC area for our flight home. I was didnt particularly want that long drive up to Nyc, but was out voted by the 'boys'!!!!!! No wonder they say its a man's world - hahahaha

by travelmad478

> No sorry Nat we are going straight up to Nyc from Williamsburg spending two nights there, and then back to the DC area for our flight home.

Ouch. This is not going to be much fun. The drive will take 5-6 hours to NY (on the I-95 route--the alternate suggested will add something like three hours to the trip), and then another 4-5 hours back down to DC. Is this really the way you want to spend your holiday time? There are many, many things to see and do in Washington, and in the state of Virginia as well. Staying around there would give you a lot more time to spend vacationing, not just driving.

As for your question on places to stop along the road, yes, I-95 and the NJ Turnpike do have plenty of rest areas. They are clearly marked, and you don't have to leave the highway if you don't want to.

by b1bob

By nature, I like to save money and there is nothing I hate more than toll roads.

On the way DOWN from Washington to Williamsburg, the boys might like to visit King's Dominion in Doswell (I-95, exit 98) if they're big into amusement parks.

At Colonial Williamsburg, make sure to dine at one of the colonial taverns. Shields Tavern (a stone's throw away from the colonial capitol) comes recommended not only by me, but also by VT member "acemj". To save money, order the sampler platter.

by b1bob

Having gone both ways more often than I can count, I know that taking 301 from Richmond to Baltimore won't add any 3 hours to the trip. Besides, there is some road construction on certain days on I-95 near Springfield, VA which will lead motorists on a very indirect detour. With that 1-hour detour factored in, taking 301 (especially during peak hours) might actually SAVE time.

by bugalugs

I know TravelMad that it is a long way for 2 nights, but our son only spent a day there last year and his friend is with us this year, we are having some days in DC on arrival and then 5 days in Va Beach and 3 in Williamsburg, and then is when we will then travel to Nyc.

And Nat what is a sample platter????????

by b1bob

The sampler platter is a sampling of colonial cuisine on one economical platter. Its contents change by the season. It's all good. The last time I was there they had chicken fricassee in a pastry cup, a type of dish with duck and a type of spicy sausage, sweet potato tarts, etc. It's just as filling as a normal entree but less expensive.

by cjg1

Is there an easier way to get to 301 from williamsburg than going all the way to richmond? Truth be told i never ventured up richmond way as much as i would have because i mostly took the 301 route when living on the hampton side of the water. so my memory may be alittle off but wouldnt 17 to 301 be better than heading so far west?

by bugalugs

i just checked to see where road no.17 was, found it!!!!! If we were in Williamsburg there is a smallroad that goes to Yorkstown and that joins the road 17. Would that be quieter and better?

by b1bob

Route 17 is yet another alternative. However, it intersects with I-95 at Fredericksburg, well south of Washington, so you wouldn't be able to avoid the horrendous Washington area traffic. If you take 17 to Route 301, you would miss Hanover Courthouse and much of the horse country in southern Caroline County.

by travelmad478

> Having gone both ways more often than I can count, I know that taking 301 from Richmond to Baltimore won't add any 3 hours to the trip.

I have not done this drive, so your knowledge is better than mine here--but I was basing my three-hour estimate on your statement that it was adding 200 miles to the journey. I still think that if the goal is to just get the drive done as fast as possible (given the "Williamsburg-NY-DC in four days" plan), 95 appears to be the best route. The travelers will have to balance their dislike of tolls against their desire to actually spend a decent number of hours in NY.

Thanks Julie
we hope to arrive in Nyc on the Sunday by about 5-6pm, giving us that evening all the next day (Monday) and leave about 1pm on the tuesday, so I am sure we will be able to see quite a bit. My husband and myself have seen quite a bit having spent 6 days there in Feb 2002 and a day/night last July. However, my son who was with us for the day/night, didnt see everything and his friend hasnt even been to the states so will be pleased to see anything!!

by bct341

I drive I95 all the time... from Philly to VA.. and regardless of traffic and construction it is the quickest.. plus.. if something happens (break down etc) there is support on the interstate.

Yes.. it can get busy on the highway..going on Sunday should be ok.. you will have to only compete with the daily beach traffic only. So.. it should not be bad. If you had time.. then you could go different routes to sight see

by bugalugs

Thanks again for your answers, and I am probably opening my big mouth and going to regret it, but wherever we have been in the states and driven we have never really experienced much traffic delays, as the motorways are so big (many lanes), the majority of our motorways are three lanes, sometimes only two, and usually at least one lane is stacked along with orange cones for roadworks, so we know what is like to get stuck in motorway repairs.

by bugalugs

I am intrigued with this sampler platter Bob, does that mean you get bits and bobs of everything on this platter?

by b1bob

That's about right. You get a little taste of everything. Again, it switches by the season, but I've never had a bad one yet. On Williamsburg to New York, there are more ways to get there than you can shake a stick at. Maybe my way isn't the most expedient, but doing it that way, you can cram a little bit of sightseeing and scenery in with the necessary road trip. After all, you're on holiday, why rush?

by bugalugs

Your right Nat, we will be on holiday, and I do like to see a bit of the area, and it is absolutely vital for me to get out and stretch my legs everyone in a while, pity I cant do it on the plane journey, I have to get up and walk round on that!!!!!

by b1bob

I sympathise with you on feeling hemmed in on air travel. In fact, I have had so many weird experiences and observations on the airline industry that I had enough material to almost fill up the allocated space for a personal album.

On the matter of Labour Day weekend, will you be well at your destination or do you plan to be on the road at all?

by bct341

>never really experienced much traffic delays, as the motorways are so big (many lanes), the majority of our motorways are three lanes, sometimes only two, and usually at least one lane is stacked along with orange cones for roadworks, so we know what is like to get stuck in motorway repairs.

This is true.. but.. timing is everything and if you traveled the east coast.. you will see a lot of traffic jams. but that is usually rush hour (unless there is an accident or construction) When I vacation, i dont get into as much traffic problems but that is because I travel when I want to and dont have to be at work in the morning. Check out my one Philadelphia travelogue.. i took some pics on I95 durinig a traffic jam just the other week :)

by bugalugs

not sure I want to see traffic jams it may put me off!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am just going to say my prayers that St. Christopher keeps the roads free for us - lol

by bugalugs

regarding labour weekend, I assume this holiday is from the saturday to the monday, is that right? We will leave Williamsburg on the Sunday after having 3 nights there and drive to nyc until tuesday.
Is that what you meant Nat?

by travelmad478

Yes, Monday is the day off. So if you drive up on Sunday and back on Tuesday you will be doing yourself a big favor. The traffic will be lightest on these days. Of course, on Tuesday you need to be aware that you will be hitting DC right at rush hour, if you leave NY around 1 PM as you mentioned. Take care...Washington rush hour traffic is awful.

by b1bob

Since you will be leaving back for England the day after you drive from New York to Washington, DC, maybe it would be best to avoid the interstates at least around the big cities and thus the rush hour congestion. I'll think of a good way to do it and e-mail you the specific directions.

by bugalugs

Thank you Julie and Nat, but when we head back to DC we wont necessarily go into DC, we are just going to skip over the top of it and stay somewhere maybe 20 miles or so from Dulles airport. Not sure where yet.
Thanks all the same

by b1bob

My point was more on the trip from New York City down to Dulles. If you avoid the big cities in between and take a U.S. route as opposed to the interstate, you will avoid the abnormally high traffic at the Labour Day weekend. On a town that is within 20 miles of Dulles Airport, look into Leesburg, Virginia. There are all manner of national motel chains there (different from food, national motel chains are preferable than local establishments that could be seedy). I'll do some in-depth research this evening and recommend something that will give you the most bang for your dollar.

Travel Tips for Williamsburg

Pasteur & Galt Apothecary Shop

by deecat

There were several apothecary shops in Williamsburg during the 18th Century. Before becoming partners, both Pasteur and Galt had run competing apothecary shops.

Their partnership began about 1775 and lasted until 1778 because Pasteur retired from medicine.
The one you see today is a reconstructed shop, and it stands where the original once did. It's stocked and furnished very much as it was then. On display in the shop are delft drug jars, original pharmaceutical equipment, medications, and ingredients listed in period dispensatories. They also have reproduction splints, braces, and dental tools.

Then, medicines were stored as raw materials in drawers or cupboards. Villagers could purchase these compounds; they would bring their own contaner to hold the ingredients to take home.

During the Revolution, Galt was a military surgeon, and he also served as director of the state apothecary until 1789. He served as a visiting physician to the Public Hospital and was appointed to its court of directors; he seerved in both capacities until he died in 1808.

I found this shop just fascinating. I have a wild imagination and could create all kinds of "situations" in my mind's eye! The Pasteur & Galt Apothecary Shop fascinated me because of all the original and reproductions that were on display. It made me realize how far we have come in medicine since then.

Historical interpreters

by matcrazy1

We met this lady, on my picture, in front of the Governor's Palace. She was talking about colonial culture and history with a group of American kids visiting colonial Williamsburg.

She was one of quite many historical interpreters of colonial Williamsburg. These folks were employed to help you to understand colonial culture and history. Most of these interpreters are in 18th century costume. They wait for visitors in front of many historic points of interest. They manage the pedestrian traffic as well.

Ink-Powder to see, try and buy

by matcrazy1

There is ink-powder to see, to try and to buy ($2.00) in colonial Wolliamsburg's Post Office. I got to know that they used quite different ink in the past, in 18th century colonial America than you can find in current store.

The ink was made and stored as solid ink-powder and then solluted in water before use. Natives used quill pens dipped in the ink stored in inkwells.

Keep in mind that till 1450 books were exclusively written and copied by hand - letter by letter - which made them very expensive thus not available for most. It changed since Gutenberg brought together the technologies of paper, oil-based ink and the wine-press to print books. But whereas the improvement of paper, print-ink and print-press went fast there were no key changes in hand-writing by 20th century where improved ball pens with a container for ink became popular.

Flags of the 13 original colonies

by matcrazy1

These flags on flag poles, on my picture, were put close to the Visitor Center of the Colonial Williamsburg. Not at all off the beaten path but fairly easy to miss if you don't pay attention.

Each flag represents the state flag of the original 13 colonies. Some of them were very interesting. I would recommend adding some info by each flag for us foreigners who may not know the signifance of these flags.

Currently the 13 stripes in the American flag represent the original 13 colonies whereas the 50 states are represented by 50 stars.

One-of-a-kind handmade items

by matcrazy1 about Prentis Store

This store was located in a brick house with gable roof and door with... no balcony on the second floor. It offered expensive one-of-a-kind handmade items created by skilled staff of the Colonial Williamsburg. If you like: leather goods, iron hardware, reproduction pottery. Urszula found some very pretty warm blankets but they were expensive. Williamsburg's prices. Generally expensive or... very expensive!

Comments