Great Wolf Lodge - Williamsburg Va

Great Wolf Lodge
Orbitz.com amextravel.com Expedia.com

More about Great Wolf Lodge - Williamsburg Va

Great Wolf Lodge Delivers Service & Fun

We enjoyed our stay. Highly recommended. The hotel is not cheap (about $200 per night), but worth it. You can save $50 by not staying over on Saturday night. Go to their web page:

(----)

click on "specials"

we did the beat the moose promotion. Stayed in a "family suite" (all rooms are suites).

Ask to stay "poolside" since the view of the pool is much nicer than that of the parking lot.

The next morning we called an got a late check out (that was noon instead of 11am) this enable us to eat sandwiches in the room.

The moose promo includes a free breakfast. This breakfast was pretty good, offering a wide selection of items (yogurt, cereal, pancakes, waffles, omlettes made to order, bacon, sausage, grits, etc.) The hot food had been sitting a little while (it’s a buffet).

The "characters" also are there for a photo in the morning at breakfast. The kids liked that.

There is no (additional) charge for kids 2 and under.

Unfortunately, we had a 3 year old so we had to pay a little extra (about $20) for the room because we had 5 people instead of 4.

They do have pack-and-plays for cribs, available upon request.

Rooms include a small fridge (it never seemed to get our stuff ice cold, but it did the job) and a microwave.

The rooms are larger than most hotel rooms. 2 queen beds plus a sleeper sofa and small balcony.

We arrived early on Sunday afternoon (around 1pm) and they let us check in early. Offical check in time is not until 4pm.

We immediately hit the water park and stayed there until dinner time. We ate dinner in our room (we brought sandwich makings). I asked about whether we could picnic by the outside pool and they said that was fine. But we opted not to since we didn’t want to lug the stuff down there.

The employees and life guards are very friendly. They have a "Disney" care for the customer attitude. Everything in the rooms and hotel is brand new since it just opened in the Spring of 2005.

I slept in the sleeper sofa and it was one of the most comfortable sleeper sofas I have ever been in.

btw, if you like BBQ, there is a great place "Pierce's BBQ Pit" that is good, it's about a mile past the Great Wolf Lodge entrance on the right.

Hope you enjoy your stay. I think it is geared towards pre-teen kids. Our 5 year old girls could do all the water slides by them selves. They loved it. Our 3 year old needed to keep a keen eye on, but she could do most of the stuff as well.

Our 13 year old cousin, seemed to lose interest after a spending the afternoon at the water park.

Great Wolf OK not great

Our room at Great Wolf Lodge (for which we paid over $450 per night) was advertised as having a "Patio or Balcony" when in fact it was a slab of concrete adjacent to a stagnant condensate pool inhabited by various insects, cigarette butts, plastic, trash etc. We were on the first floor 15 feet below the parking lot which afforded a spactacular view of the undercarrage of parked cars. The inside water park was great, but the park was advertised as having a rock wall (which it did) but the rock wall was only open "when not too many people call in sick..." which came to about 50% of the time. The largest tube slide was down 20% of the time due to techinical problems. The room service staff had to be called repeatedly to supply the room with coffee and, believe it or not, toilet paper. They also only gave the room a descent cleaning once in a week period. The food service was haphazard at best... there was total confusion on their part and the customer's part not knowing where to order or what was avaiable. Lastly, despite requests to the front desk to return calls (to answer our concerns) we never received a call back.

Disappointed

by TripAdvisor Member jamestown

Recently stayed (June 3-5, 2005) at The Great Wolf Lodge in Williamsburg. Overall I was disappointed. The rooms are very nice but the ones on the back side of the lodge have a view of the HVAC system and it is NOISY. Bathrooms are small. Refrigerator and microwave are in the rooms. My kids (ages 11, 13, 16) enjoyed the water park. It's very clean and fun. The biggest problem is the food. They only have a breakfast buffet (no ala carte) so for those of us who don't gorge, it's EXPENSIVE. Not enough staff in the eating areas so the lines are long and slow. Downstairs is a cafe with Starbucks coffee and Krispy Kreme donuts. Mostly families with small children. Check in took about 45 minutes. You have to present the credit card with which you made the reservation; otherwise, they refund that credit card and charge another (not quite sure why, but time consuming). We had a large group and requested months in advance to have our rooms together. We were spread all over the lodge. Their website is tedious. I sent a letter to the manager afterwards and he assured me things would be fixed, but I won't return. Walmart and Home Depot are right down the street if you need anything.

What a hotel!!

We just got back from an overnight stay at the Great Wolf, and are we glad we went! We are a family of four with two younger children (ages 3 and 5) and everyone had a fantastic time! From the moment we drove up to the lodge and entered the hotel, we knew it was going to be great. The lobby is beautiful and it was so exciting to look at everything. The rooms are spacious and clean; really nice. We also took the kids to the huge game room, and ate dinner at the Loose Moose. Good food but a little pricey; but hey, it's a vacation! The bakery by the game room has delicious desserts, you don't want to miss this if you have a sweet tooth! But the most impressive part of the resort is of course the indoor water park; and all we can say is WOW! It is huge and there is something to do for all ages. The Great Wolf Lodge is a first-class hotel and can be compared to the more exclusive resorts you would find in Disney World. We can't wait to go back!

Second trip just as good!

My husband and I just spent our second vacation at the great wolf lodge with our 2 boys, ages 12 and 22 months. We had went in May and loved it, so we couldn't wait to return. Everything was just as wonderful on the second go-around. This time we got the wolf's den room, which my son LOVED. It was very spacious. We stayed on the park level this time also, which was convenient to the playroom for our 22-month old and the gameroom and waterpark for all. No, not much of a view, but who sits in their room in a place like this.
The playroom had many more activities lined up this time and keeps them all clearly posted in the hallway as well as on the program when you check in. My son's made a t-shirt and watched one of the movies and we took the toddler there to play and get energy out before dinner.
The check-in process went smoothly again. We got there at 1:00, expecting to play at the waterpark until our room was ready, but the room was ready then. All of the employees exhibited great customer service skills. Everyone is ready to help you in any situation.
They seem to have reorganized the restaurant in that they seat you and get your drinks at the table and then you go to the cafeteria line to get your food. This makes the process easier since you are not waiting in line with your food to pay. Instead you pay your waitress. Much quicker. I would still suggest going at an off hour for dinner, a little before or a little after, as 6:00 seemed very busy.
We got to enjoy the outdoor pool this time and it was a very nice set-up with a band playing and a snack bar with off the grill items. The pool is just the right size for toddlers and was never as busy as the indoor park.
Once again, the highlight was the waterpark. The kids and my husband and I enjoyed every minute of it. My 12 year old and I were very sore from climbing the stairs so many times to go on the family tube ride. Scary but fun. The waterpark will definately wear out even the most energized child. I recommend this vacation for all...We will be returning in September to celebrate my son's 2nd birthday.

Worth the Extra Money!

Our family (including two kids, 12 and 15) just returned from four nights at The Great Wolf Lodge and just loved it! Normally we would look to pay less for a hotel (Get Loose with the Moose Deal at $169/ night including breakfast) but the web-site and fantastic reviews made me cancel our previous reservation and book this just a week before our trip.

As a family on vacation, this hotel is definately worth the money for the extra fun it offers with it's HUGE indoor waterpark. We are not a family who typically goes for waterparks- but this one being indoors, expansive and so well tended with life guards (they are everywhere and really helpful) made our trip so much better than it would have been staying at a hotel with just a traditional pool. After a busy (hot) day coming back to the hotel was such a treat. The waterpark includes a variety of waterslides. Two you slide down without tubes and two you use (provided) tubes (some built for two!). Then there is another family slide with a tube that fits four. Parents seemed to enjoy these slides every bit as much as their kids. There was seldom any real wait to ride the slides. The park also includes a wonderful wave pool (great fun!), toddler-only area, "Lazy River" (in which you slowly floats in a tube) and a huge outdoor pool. The indoor area is a comfortable 85 degrees- so you never even feel chilled walking around in your wet bathing suit! The water in all areas is equally as warm and comfortable.

The hotel (aside from just the waterpark) is very well-themed to look like a mountain cabin. The rooms are absolutely spacious, well-designed and comfortable. We stayed on the fourth floor (vaulted ceilings!) overlooking the outdoor pool in a Family Suite. It was quiet and peaceful despite being a hotel that attracts children of all ages.

We ate in all of the restaurants during our stay. The Loose Moose Cottage breakfast is a buffet. It moves slowly and tends to get long lines. The food was average. Camp Critter is the full-service restaurant for lunch and dinner and was also well-themed but average in terms of food. The Pizza Hut Express in the hotel was efficient and handy! There is a snack bar in the waterpark so you don't have to leave when hungry. They served soft ice cream and such. And lastly, the cafe next to the waterpark featured ice cream and desserts (mainly). Treats there were tasty, but pricey. Service at all restaurants was friendly and efficient.

The final two areas of the hotel that are surprisingly well-done are the arcade and gift shop. Both are much larger than I would have expected. The gift shop was actually reasonably priced for many items and had everything from the stuffed toys you'd expect to a large offering of clothing and shoes! The arcade was nicely done with a typical prize station and a good variety of games.

If you are a family traveling to Williamsburg, this is an excellent hotel to really make your vacation memorable. We have never experienced one quite like it (even in Disney World) and it certainly raises the bar!

Great stay at Great Wolf!

by TripAdvisor Member MassMom94

We (two kids, 7 & 13, me) stayed at Great Wolf for two nights, 6/29 and 6/30. The kids were in kid heaven - we closed the waterpark both nights. The 13 yo daredevil loved the slides and the more sedate 7 yo was happy in the wavepool, lazy river, and recreation pool. There were many lifeguards. The outdoor pool is very large and was open, though we did not use it. They had a snack bar out by this pool, as well as a singer providing entertainment.

The decor of the place is similar to the Wilderness Lodge at Disney. Everything is well done and brand new (of course). The room (Family Suite, see below) was very spacious.

The service problems mentioned in earlier reviews appear to have been solved. We arrived at around 8 PM and were checked in immediately. Though the resort did not seem empty, they apparently are having a fair number of weeknight vacancies since they were running a fantastic special that I reserved online at the Great Wolf website the morning we checked in. We got a Family Suite (2 queen beds and sofa bed) and breakfast buffet for 4 (since we only had three people, we didn't need the 4th) for only $169. The rack rate for this room is $299 ($269 with the normal "Wolf Web" discount) and other online sources had it listed for $199 (no breakfast). So be sure to click "specials" at the Great Wolf website before making your reservation to see what deals are available for when you'd like to go.

We had breakfast at the Loose Moose Cottage and dinner at the Camp Critter Bar & Grille. The breakfast buffet normally costs $10.95/adult and $5.95/kid. It was very good, lots of choices (including cooked-to-order omelets) and I appreciated the Starbucks coffee! Dinner was typical casual dining fare (think burgers, wraps, wings, salads) but decent for the price. Service was prompt and attentive. I used a 10% off coupon I found in one of the freebie guidebooks.

To follow up on earlier reviews, I used the fitness center and can report that two TVs have now been installed.

The kids were blown away and can't wait to come back. The 7 yo definitely preferred it to Busch Gardens.

great get away

by TripAdvisor Member gdrvasc

Great indoor water park with safe "rides", warm water and excellent supervision by staff. Only one restaurant on site and food is fairly good, not great. Would be better if there were more to do on site but the arcade and game room is full of fun. My 5 yr old loved it and as parents, we really enjoyed the water slides and wave pool as well.

Like sleeping a Cabela's, But Much More Fun! June 26, 2005

We stayed 2 nights and the lodge was really something to see. There really was something for everyone. My sons and husband enjoyed the outdoor theme, and everyone enjoyed the waterpark! Our only problem was at check in, our room was not clean and there were dirty rags on the bathroom floor. I went to the front desk and they gave another room directly across from our first room. When we went the first thing you saw was the glass door to the balcony all smudged up, next there were sprinles and milk all over the coffee table and dining table and the bathroom was filthy. Again, after 9 hours in the car and paying more than we normally do for a mini vacation, I felt someone at the front desk should know about this. Crystal at the front desk was wonderful!!! She called a supervisor to view our room, after 20 minutes of no supervisor answering her several calls for assistance, she made the room change, and gave us $25.00 in lodge dollars for teh inconvenience. Our new room was an upgrade and was it gorgeous!!! The beds were sooooo comfortable. There were 2 tv's on the first floor, and the loft upstairs had a bed, bathroom, and tv. My family thought we'd died and went to heaven. Crystal at the front desk really went above and beyond and our trip was terrific. As for the resturant and water park. They were both very clean. The food was very good, pricey, but I thought the portions were larger than average. The camping theme was cute and the service was excellent. The waterpark was really cool. Lots to do for all ages. The outdoor pool was beautiful, but the nights were breezey so we didn't use it as much, plus they closed at 8:00 p.m.. Towels were provided and there were lots of chairs to relax in as the kids blew off all that steam from the car ride.

the great wolf lodge

by luccianoslb

"great wolf lodge"

me and my family visited the great wolf lodge in virginia and had a blast we have kids of all ages and they all enjoyed even us parents we cant wait to go again but this year we are going to the beach but once again our favorite place to visit virginia

Any kid friendly (4-6 year olds) resorts in the Northeast/Mid-Atlantic?

by giantcrazy

After falling short of a last minute cruise vacation (good thing I read the fine print and realized my wife was too far along in her pregnancy...), I'm stuck trying to find something last minute and can't seem to make up my mind.

There's the obvious - short flight to either Bermuda or the Bahamas, to a hotel with some kid-friendly activities.

I was trying to find a contrast in a driving-only vacation, to keep the cost a little more reasonable and make the trip a little more bearable (no, dragging two small kids with a pregnant wife through an airport and onto a plane isn't my idea of fun).

Does anyone know if there's a nice beach resort that is kid-friendly (preferably kid oriented) in the Northeast/Mid-Atlantic region? Anywhere from NJ, DE down to VA or Myrtle Beach? I'm looking for something that will entertain the kids a bit every day, and give me at least a small break from doing it myself.

I was going to bite the bullet and just fly down to Club Med Sandpiper in FL, but their prices adjusted in August and there's no way I can bring myself to pay $4k to visit Port St. Lucie (without airfare), Florida for a week.

by moiraistyx

Lets see there is Sesame Place just outside of Philadelphia, here's a link

there is also the Great Wolf Lodge in the Poconos here's a link

there is lots to do in both places for that age group

by traveltime08

Check out Great Wolf Lodge near Williamsburg, VA. I think they have a water park, all sorts of great activities and youth services for kids, golf, spa services, near Busch Gardens the Old Country, Colonial Williamsburg, Jamestown, etc. My nephew and his family have been going since their kids were about the same age as yours now, and the entire family loves it.

by giantcrazy

Thanks!

We've already been to Sesame Place (a few times, so I'm thinking the kids would like a change of pace at this point).

The Great Wolf Lodge sounds interesting, but I had been thinking of keeping that one in the back pocket until winter, where the kids would enjoy the pool time more (not sure how much of the park is outdoors, but their main attraction is the indoor water park).

I'm hoping to find something a little further south even, where they could get a resort-like atmosphere and some beach time. The Disney resort in HHI sounds good, but there aren't really any reasonable flights and the drive from NYC is 12 hours. Back to the drawing board!

Comments