1624 Richmond Road, Williamsburg, Virginia, 23185, United States

Costs 27% more than similarly rated 3 star hotels

More about Hilton Garden Inn Williamsburg

Nice stay at the Hilton Garden Inn

by TripAdvisor Member 808Mom

We stayed at the Hilton Garden Inn Williamsburg in April 2006. The location can't be beat! Parking is ample and free. There are several restaurants in walking distance from the hotel: McDonalds in right next door, Red Hot and Blue (a BBQ place) is adjacent to the hotel, Ruby Tuesday a few doors down. The hotel is 4 stoplights down from the outlet mall (GAP, Converse, Timberland, Carter's, etc) and access to I-64 is not far.

The hotel is clean and the rooms were nice. We had a king accessible room which was HUGE, and our kids had an adjoining double-double room. The beds were very comfortable. There is free wireless internet access throughout the hotel and you can print to the business center which is open 24 hours for guests. The pool, which is open 24 hours, was a little small, but the kids loved it. They have a stack of towels available to use there. The staff was really friendly and they even called up to our room the day after we checked in to see if everything was okay and if we needed anything. We received complimentary breakfast vouchers because we are Gold VIP Honors members; otherwise the breakfast was $8.95 for adults and $4.95 for children. The vouchers paid for the children's entire breakfast, which was the whole cold buffet plus the hot items and the made to order foods. We could buy an upgrade for $3 which allowed us the made to order and hot items. There was a nice selection of items: several cold cereals, oatmeal, 4 kinds of milk, juices, fruits, eggs, bacon, sausage, biscuits and gravy, bread items. The staff was super friendly, including the chefs. Note: the restaurant area is small and only open for breakfast (6:30 am to 10:30 am). Room service is available from the Seafare restaurant which is adjacent to the hotel.

My only complaint would be the housekeeping. They were pretty prompt about having the room made up; however, we returned to find a full pot of cold coffee, no replacement coffee, and the glasses which we used were simply rinsed out, placed back in the tray next to the ice bucket and the paper doily placed on top. My lipstick prints were still on one glass as well as my son's cookie sludge! Eww!! Kind of makes you think if they did the same thing from the last guest....The rest of the room was clean, though.

Overall, the stay was great! I would definitely recommend the Garden Inn and would definitely return to this hotel.

Nice Hotel...great location

by TripAdvisor Member Tina1952

My husband and I along with our 2 1/2 year old son stayed at the Hilton Garden Inn July 24 - 28, 2005. Our experience at this hotel was excellent. The rooms were very clean and comfortable, and included a refrigerator and microwave which were nice extras especially since we were traveling with a small child. The pool was a big plus with our little boy. It was also nice because it was open 24 hours, which meant we could take a quick dip before bedtime. The location of the hotel was excellent as it is within walking distance of many resturants, including Applebees, Friendlys, Chili's as well as many local favorites. There was plenty of parking, the staff were very friendly, and made our stay very pleasent. The ride to Busch Gardens/Water Country/Colonial Williamsburg is less then 10 minutes. The hotel also offered a breakfest buffet, although we did not eat there during our stay. For a nice hotel, with a good price, I would highly recommend staying here.

manager needs lessons on dealing w/ public

by TripAdvisor Member mamadragon

First let me say that the rooms and common areas are clean. The king suites are spacious with a sofa bed in a separate room. These rooms have a small table and chairs, two tvs, hairdryer, iron/board, shampoo & conditioner, small microwave, and a small 'fridge.
The pool, a small indoor with an attached small spa and fitness center are open 24 hrs. The free business center where you can check e-mail, get directions, or im friends is also open 24hrs but there is only one computer.
There is a small pantry where you can purchase microwavable meals, soda, beer, razors, laundry soap, sundries, etc.
The breakfast buffet may be purchased as a continental or a full american breakfast that includes made to order eggs and pancakes. We had this one morning it was good, fruit fresh, omelet to perfection, hot oatmeal, grits, cold cereal, breads, bagels, muffins, hot meats.

THE PROBLEMS LIE WITH MANAGEMENT! the right hand does not know what the left is doing.
I booked via the 1-800 number. I was told I had a king suite with sofa bed at $125.10/night for two nights. When we arrived we were told a king room - no sofa bed- was what was available. I pursued the original agreement for a king with a sofa bed. Finally the manager came out, he said that no suites where available that night but he would put us in a king and have a roll away bed sent for our daughter (he "magnanamously" stated "I won't charge you for the roll away"). The next night he would put us in a suite at $179.00. I questioned why I would be charged more than the quoted price for the room with a sofa bed. When my husband said "let's go there are plenty of hotels around" the manager finally called resevations and got them to agree to make up the difference in room cost for the second night and to comp half of the first night's rate and gave us a coupon for breakfast. We used our credit card (which they asked for) for deposit but were assured it would not be used to charge the room as I wanted to pay cash.

The next morning around 9:30 when we had finished breakfast the manager stopped me as I passed the front desk and told me our room was ready and we could move our things. We did all seemed fine until that evening when our bill came. It only had that night's fees; the previous night's were not on it. I went down and talked to the front desk personnel who said it had been direct billed to reservations and there was no bill to my charge card for the first night. The next morning as we were checking out I again asked about the first night's bill. It turned out that my card had been charged for the first night and they had already charged my card for the second night. When I questioned this; why had they charged my card instead of letting me pay cash for the first night it got a little confusing. The manager came out and said "Well, I had to check you out of one room and check you into another." I asked him why didn't he say anything in the morning when he switched our rooms? He said we had listed our credit card as how we wanted to pay (he was standing there when we had the discussion about paying cash - he was part of it).
I asked at this time what card had been charged --- they claimed our first card had not been approved when we switched rooms ----I guess they ran it a second time and they had a problem. (I stress THEY had a problem because we called the credit card company and we had not even used 10% of our limit. We then went down and gave them our other card it went through and then had them run our first card again. Both cards came back with approvals.) He made a snide sounding comment how that was not "their" fault our card did not go through - although it did go through when we went down and it was run through the machine again. He was rude when offering to take off the charges and I could then pay cash. By this time I did not trust him to take off the charges as he was not up front about charging my card for the first night when he was switching our rooms. I will be wondering about what we were actually charged to our card until I have seen our statement.

I left this hotel with a bad taste in my mouth. Even though most of the front desk staff are a gracious and helpful lot (except for the third shift lady who only wanted to sit watching tv and talk on the phone by the tv in the lobby- who seemed quite put out that I wanted a Coke and wanted to pay cash right then as she had to get up and take care of it), the clean rooms and the friendly maintence man, the manager left too much to be desired.
His manner at check out sealed the deal.

We will NEVER RECOMMEND this hotel. There are too many other hotels and motels in Williamsburg to stay at.

The manager needs more training on dealing with the clients -- we are the reason he has a job; certainly not the other way around as he seems to project to one and all.

Bring extra blankets!

by TripAdvisor Member TracyD34

First of all, I am easy to please. My husband, my four year old son, and I just wanted a relaxing weekend getaway. We get to the Hilton expecting a suite, get our keys, and walk into a room already occupied with someone else's things. Back we trudge`with our belongings to the front desk, and we were nonchalantly informed by Maggie "sorry, the computer said the room is empty. We don't have any suites available, then." We settled for a standard king room and off we go to try again....hoping no more surprises when we walk in the door. However, during the middle of the night, I wake up and think I'm dreaming of Antarctica. Our room feels about 50 below and it is freezing. The heat is not on at all. We wake up and check out to find that they forgot to hit a switch upon check in to turn the heat on in the room. The manager knocks $50 off and we simply return home. We've stayed at the Holiday Inn Express many times before and have always been pleased. We definitely won't be staying at the Hilton Garden Inn again!

Pretty good hotel - only minor issues

by TripAdvisor Member WindowSeatPlease

We stayed at the Hilton Garden Inn, mainly because the top-rated hotel in Williamsburg (the Hampton Inn & Suites) was booked solid. I've stayed at two other Hilton Garden Inns that were pretty much perfection, so I still had high hopes. The hotel didn't really disappoint (even though I'd say it's a bit pricier than you would expect, for what you get). There were just some small issues that would stop me from giving it an excellent rating.

First - location. The hotel is in a very convenient location. It's about 10 years old and it's right off a main road in an area that backs right up to several restaurants (Applebee’s, Chili's, Red Hot & Blue, etc.). They (and more) are within walking distance. Parking isn't a problem either. It's free and close. Colonial Williamsburg, William & Mary, etc. are all within a 5 - 10 minute drive (depending on the time of day - the road can crawl a little during peak hours). The hotel is only about 15 mins. from I-64. So, the location gets a thumbs-up.

Next - the rooms. Our room was on the top (4th) floor. The rooms are smaller than the other Hilton Garden Inns I've stayed in, but they’re pretty average as far as most mid-range/business hotels go. The bathroom was also a little cramped - not tiny, just cramped. But, they are pretty clean. If you look in corners (like I do), you'll see some areas that could have gotten a better once over. But it's not dirty, by any stretch of the imagination. I'm just super-picky and weird - if you're not, you won't even notice the things I did and, really, they aren’t a big deal. The beds are wonderful. Very soft and comfortable. The rooms have free high-speed Internet, and there's a business center that you can print to. We didn't have any problems with the temperature/air conditioning/etc. and it was a pretty warm weekend. So, overall, the room would get a thumbs-up too.

There was a minor problem with our reservation at check-in (they had us in a king, we'd requested a double-queen). But, the desk clerk was very accommodating and the delay was only minor. She was also helpful with helping us find local amenities, etc. and actually printed out directions for us to take with us. They also allowed us to extend our checkout by an hour.

We didn't eat breakfast in the hotel, but a lot of people did and it looked and smelled good. But it is *not* included in the stay – you will pay extra. Also, at check-in, you get a 10% off coupon to a seafood restaurant that's right next-door and you can order "room service" from them as well. It’s supposed to be really good. We didn't use the pool, but saw several people that did, even into the evening. But, it and the area around it, actually looked pretty small. I can’t imagine it would be too fun if everyone got the same pool idea at once.

All in all, we had a good stay. The hotel is a good location to use as a base for day trips, etc. around the area. It is pretty clean and very comfortable. One thing I will point out: BEWARE OF THE 48 HOUR CANCELLATION POLICY. The day before our trip, a room in the other hotel opened up but, since we were within 48 hours, we couldn't cancel. Just something to keep in mind, as far as flexibility goes.

Love the Hilton Garden Inn and would highly recommend it.

by TripAdvisor Member dsdjr

My family has been returning to the Hilton Garden Inn for the last 4 years now. We absolutely love the place. I have never run into a problem at all here. Although the wonderful breakfast is not included with your stay, it is well worth having. The chef will cook anything you ask for(pancakes, omelletes, waffles, etc.) and the staff who helps to seat you are very nice. The pool area is a little small but we have never run into it being overcrowded and we've stayed during the summer when the hotel was packed. Last year was our first time staying in a suite and we enjoyed the that a lot. You have a lot of room to move around.
The hotel's location is convienent. We often walk to dinner. I've stayed at several other hotels and I personally choose the Hilton Garden Inn. If you want a clean, friendly place to stay this is the spot:-)!!!

Hilton was great

by TripAdvisor Member steady

My family of 5 just stayed at the Hilton Garden Inn. We loved it! The location on Richmond Road was great. We would walk to restaurants (Chiles, Applebees, Red Hot and Blue, Friendlies, etc.) It was about 5 minutes from Colonial Williamsburg and Busch Gardens. We got a king suite. My husband and I had a comfortable king bed, and my children had a sofa bed and cot in the living area. There were 2 tvs, sizable dressers, etc. Everything is new and very clean. We skipped breakfast there; it wasn't included. We had just stayed for 3 nights at the Embassy Suites. Embassy gives a great inclusive breakfast but I'd rather stay at a new and clean Hilton Garden Inn. Embassy was worn and dated and not very clean.

Excellent Hotel Choice in Williamsburg, VA

We just returned from a trip to Colonial Williamsburg and stayed at the Hilton Garden Inn. From check-in to ckeck-out, the staff was friendly and the level of service was excellent. The wait staff in the breakfast room was especially charming! Our room was $99 plus tax - which proved to be an outstanding value. The room was spacious, clean. Windows were large - and actually opened. Housekeeping was attentive. For two days we left the "do not disturb" on the door and each day when we returned there was a bag at our door, containing fresh towels, toiletries, coffee and other essentials.

In addition, the hotel's location is great. A five minute drive to the Historic Area. Easy travel to all the sites in the area.

Not a single complaint during our whole stay!

More gardensMore gardens

Statue of John SmithStatue of John Smith

A fine fiddler duetA fine fiddler duet

it DOES snow in Virginiait DOES snow in Virginia

Opinions wanted on Hilton Garden Inn

by hepcat620

I've not traveled to Williamsburg before, but I will be going there with my wife and son this August 20-26. After a little research, I booked a room at the Hilton Garden Inn. It seems nice, and the price was OK - 134 a night. Has anyone had any experience with this hotel before? Or do you like somewhere else better? I'm looking for something at a decent price, but with a good AAA rating.

Thanks!

by pmatch

Williamsburg has many hotels. It is a small town and as long as you have a car, everything is close. Basically, however, you hotel choice depends on your son's age and what you like to do. The Hilton is fine. But if you are into history you can stay in a guest house in the historic district. There is, also, a new hotel with an indoor "themepark". There is a hotel right next to the college and you stroll to the historical area.
Probably in August you might consider making some dining reservations, especially if you want one of the "Taverns" in Colonial Williamsburg. Generally they do not require a deposit.
There may be discount Busch Garden tickets available from AAA.

RE: RE: Opinions wanted on Hilton Garden Inn

by hepcat620

Thanks for the response. We like history, but we also like to be comfortable. The Hilton looks good, but it's a little short of amenities. Do you like anyplace better?

by vatekhokie

Yes we have stayed at the HGI many times and have throughly enjoyed it each time. However, you might do better on the pricing... we occasionally look for "Web deals" on visits to WB and have gotten nightly rates as low as $60! But if you have kids (we have two) you'll love the hotel. Cheers!

by travel2va

Williamsburg is beautiful and with Jamestown next door - take your son to Jamestown Settlement for a little hands on history experience. You can board at least two of the ships that traveled from England, go into the fort and see the way the first colonist did too; plus have him see how canoes are made and even help out. Busch Gardens is a must too for the whole family. If you want a nice place to stay you should look for the 'freebies' too. go to google or yahoo and search on "williamsburg vacation getaway" - - there is a site I found about a month ago and we wound up staying right next door to Water country in a 5 star resort, we did however have to attend a sales presentation; but it was well worth it - - there wasn't any pressure to buy anything and they told us upfront the same. We wound up getting free tickets to Busch Gardens plus $150 rebate back - - I'm glad I found it! I used the extra money for shopping at the pottery.

Comments