601 Bypass Road, U.S. Route 60, Williamsburg, Virginia, 23185, United States
Booking.com Priceline.com Travelocity

More about Williamsburg

Shirley PlantationShirley Plantation

I am the pirateI am the pirate

The Raleigh TavernThe Raleigh Tavern

The Visitors Center at the real siteThe Visitors Center at the real site

Williamsburg at Christmas

by coleridtge

hi I live in Florida and we are going to spend 5 days in Williamsburg at Christmas. We already have our hotel,but we are wondering what are the best restaurants and taverns to eat in and what are the activities we should not miss. We like music and would like to hear some in an historical setting as well. And where are the best lights for the holidays?

If anyone is coming to Floida for the holidays,I would be glad to answer some questions on it.

Re: Williamsburg at Christmas

by miclev21

Definitley take a side trip to Yorktown. Also, take the ferry and grab some peanut soup.
There are few places to hang out and listen to music; they are near William and Mary.

Green Leafe Cafe
Pauls Deli
Corner Pocket
Library Tavern

Here is a listing of events:

Re: Re: Williamsburg at Christmas

by zanzooni

IF you come early around the 12th and 13th of December, you may want to take in Stratford Hall in Wakefield, VA. It's the home of Thomas Jefferson:
Saturday & Sunday, December 11 & 12 Christmas Candlelight Celebration. Join us for one of Stratford's most cherished and popular traditions. The Great House will be decked out in traditional 18th and 19th-century decorations. From 4:30 to 8:00 p.m., the rooms will be aglow with candlelight. The Great House tour will feature our interpretation of Dickens' A Christmas Carol. Begin your visit with refreshments and holiday music in the Visitor Center. Or reserve a table in the Plantation Dining Room and enjoy a candlelight buffet. Better yet, reserve a room in our Guest House and make a weekend of it. Reservations are required for the buffet dinner and for overnight accommodations. Reservations will be taken starting October 1. Call (804)493-8039 or e-mail info@stratfordhall.org.

The website is:www.Stratfordhall.org
Even if your not here at that time, the place will still be decorated for Christmas and should be devine!...~

Re: Williamsburg at Christmas

by shermancahal

I just completed this page today. Hope that helps.

Travel Tips for Williamsburg

People listed on website

by toonsarah

If like me you’re fascinated by the human stories behind the big historical events, check out this website:

Here you’ll find biographies of many Williamsburg residents, from slaves and trades people to George Washington and Thomas Jefferson.

Tobacco

by Tom_Fields

Tobacco was the first lucrative cash crop in North America. The Jamestown settlers acquired a taste for it from the local Indians. But the type they smoked was too bitter. So a new kind was imported from the Carribean islands. The farmers learned to grow it, and it thrived in the rich soil and temperate climate.

The King banned the weed from his court, saying that it was repugnant and unhealthy. But it caught on all over Europe, and made the Jamestown colony very profitable. And we've been dealing with it ever since.

Gallows-like structures

by matcrazy1

There are a lot of gallows in Colonial Williamsburg. Well, in real the gallows-like structures like this one on my picture are used to hang advertisements of local stores and taverns not to hang criminals. Were they precursors of current tall advertisement poles put by every main highway?

In the past there were real gallows in Williamsburg used to hang people sentenced for various, not always serious, crimes.

Williamsburg Gardens

by Yaqui

While strolling around, I did notice the lovely manicured grounds and gardens that are nestled everywhere. One that I enjoyed was right outside the Abby Aldrich Rockefeller Folk Art Museum on South England Street. It had this very lovely hallway of vines to walk through, and a gorgeous fountain in the front and in the back, another very inviting garden in the back.

........when I heard that there were artists, I wished I could some time be one. If I could only make a rose bloom on paper, I thought I should be happy! or if I could at last succeed in drawing the outline of winter-stripped boughs as I saw them against the sky, it seemed to me that I should be willing to spend years in trying.
~Lucy Larcom, A New England Girlhood, 1889~

Spend spend spend

by bugalugs about Prime Outlets

We have been to other Prime Outlets so its a must for my husband and son. The prices are incredible compared to the UK. Reebok, Timberland, and Tommy Hilfiger are usually where we head to first.

There are toilet facilities and cafes.

Opening hours vary in the winter/summer.
Most nights in the summer open until 9pm, winter in the week closes at 6pm and 9pm friday and saturday. Check web site. Items like Timberland polo shirts that cost approximately $80 in the UK were about $15-20 here. Tommy Hilfiger shirt in the UK approximately $100+, was about $30 here. With savings like that these outlets are a definite must.

Comments