1010 Kingsmill Rd, Williamsburg, Virginia, 23185, United States

Booking.com Expedia.com Orbitz.com

Similarly priced and rated as other 5 star hotels

• vikendall's Profile Photo

Bring a Bag Lunch

I have stayed at Kingsmill many times. Currently it is in the best state of repair in 15 years, and you will pay for it. The accomodations are nice, but, the food has been and continues to be their weakest item. There is no excuse for people running an operation like that. The price you pay, and the front they put on, you would think they would do something about the food, but they don't. It's almost as though nobody in Williamsburg can cook. The funny thing is, with all the snootery, it is just inexcusible. Plus, there is a brewery (Busch) on the property, and when they are cooking their mash, it stinks. It's like being downwind from a paper company. After paying a handsome price for a nights lodging, you have the priviledge to smell the sewage of their brew.

Unique Quality: These folks have just spent a ton redoing their golf courses. I am not a golf expert, but my sister claims to be (she has a 4 handicap). The course was designed by Pete Dye, and my sister says he does good work. You be the judge. They use to have a PGA event, however, they are so cheap, they wouldn't pony up with an adequate purse, so now they have an LPGA event. Personally, I think the place is a poor substitute for the Golden Horseshoe in Colonial Williamsburg. I think Kingsmill is second rate compared to the Colonial Inn in Colonial Williamsburg. And, at the Colonial Inn, you will enjoy every mouthful of food. At Kingsmill, you will be disappointed. The problem is the management just will not spend the money to bring in good chefs.

Directions: near Busch Gardens, and the Busch brewery

More about Kingsmill Resort

Kingsmill

by upesnlwc

The River Course:
The River Course served as a popular PGA Tour site for 22 years and is currently home to the LPGA Tour?s Michelob ULTRA Open. Television viewers are familiar with the course?s signature 17th hole ? a par 3 hole perched on the edge of the James River. In 2004, original architect Pete Dye returned to Kingsmill to oversee changes to the River Course layout and green complexes. The renovation included the addition of tees from which golfers of all abilities can enjoy, redesigned fairway bunkering on several holes presents new and exciting challenges, and resurfaced greens allow for faster and smoother putting on the recontoured surfaces.

The Plantation Course:
Golf legend Arnold Palmer created a sister course to The River Course to appeal to golfers of all abilities.

The Plantation Course is more wide open, less demanding of pinpoint accuracy, but it's certainly no pushover. At 6,543 yards, there is less emphasis on well-positioned drives than accurate and consistent iron play and perfect putting on the undulating greens. Water comes into play on eight of the 18 holes, and there is no shortage of rolling terrain.

The Plantation Course is fun, challenging and meticulously maintained. Historical landmarks from a 1736 plantation are woven into the landscape. The Woods Course:
Two-time U.S. Open champion Curtis Strange (Kingsmill's Pro) and golf course architect Tom Clark combined forces to create a parkland-style golf course tucked away in its own private corner of the resort.

The Woods Course, Kingsmill's newest addition, was honored by GOLF magazine as one of the "Top Ten Courses Available for Public Play" when it opened. With rolling terrain, plenty of trees, and even a double green with a bunker in its center, the Woods Course provides a truly memorable round of golf.

Bray Links: psst...This on's open for night golf (AMAZINGLY FUN)
The nine-hole, Par-3 Bray Links is a complimentary amenity for all Kingsmill Resort guests. Located between the Conference Center and the James River, this sporty layout is played by everyone from children to CEO's.

Designed by Tom Clark, the Bray Links is serious golf, however, with bentgrass greens and Bermuda rough maintained by the same grounds keeping staff as the adjacent River Course. Lush and colorful ornamental landscaping changes with the seasons, complementing the course's sweeping views of the river.

As Golf Digest recently stated, "The most opulent pitch and putt in the country must surely be Kingsmill Resort's terrific Bray Links."

Whether you're playing a fun round with your kids, taking a break from a meeting or sharpening your short game, The Bray Links will provide challenging fun.

Nine-hole, par-three course
Complimentary to all guests
Located directly behind the Resort Center
Registration and complimentary club rental at Golf Pro Shop

Nice at Kingsmill

We stayed Easter weekend and enjoyed the resort. There were a few problems. We stayed 03/26 - 03/29, three nights. My mother came with me, she has emphysema and I was concerned about the distance between the villas and the main building. No one told me there was complimentary shuttle service. Not on the phone when I made my reservation and not when I mentioned that she had a mobility issue when we arrived. It was only when we asked for help getting her back to our suite did they mention it.
We also had ANTS, lots of them, in the bathroom and in one of the bedrooms. They had crawled on the desk and all over my mother’s things, purse, and clothes. We called the front desk and they came and sprayed bug spray and left and didn't bother to follow up with us to see if we were satisfied. The ANTS still came back and we were left with the fumes of the spray which irritated my mother’s breathing.
My mother and I both booked services at the Spa; however, the locker rooms are shared with the sporting club and were mixed in with very loud kids. I am a mother of a five year old and I am very kid friendly, however, when you expect a level of service from Kingsmill Resort Spa you don't expect to have to deal with children when you are trying to relax.
Each villa is like a mini condo, all the stairs are made of wood - like stairs you would have on a deck. It made very loud noise when people would walk on them, to the point of it waking me up in the middle of the night. Our condo had several families with teen age kids who loved running up and down the stairs, which was also very annoying. It was also very disturbing when another room would turn on their shower - it was very loud.
Overall we enjoyed our stay because the staff was very nice, always friendly. Regatta's restaurant was most visited because it was "kid friendly" all the other restaurants were more upscale or closed.
For three nights, package passes to Busch Gardens, some room service, and Spa services (2 massages and a facial) we spent $2,000.
I would recommend Kingsmill, but if you are expecting a perfect weekend with the kids, you may be disappointed a little, or not.
I overlooked a lot of the problems, but I value Tripadvisor.com and rely on other people's comments to make my travel arrangements and I like to read the good and the bad and make my own decision. I have used Tripadvisor.com to travel to Gettysburg PA and the review I read for the B&B we stayed at was right on the money, LOVED IT. We are going to Orlando this July and I used Tripadvisor.com to pick JW Marriot to stay in.
Hope this was useful to you.

Another great stay at Kingsmill

Just returned from a week long stay at Kingsmill. This was our second stay in two summers. We loved it last year and still have the same high opinion of the place after this latest stay.

The room was very nicely decorated, clean and the beds were comfy cozy. No sign of ants or any other insect.

The resort staff is helpful, courteous and pleasant even though we were a large group and presented them with a few difficulties. The facilities were all very very nice. All our meals were very good.

We'll be back again next summer too.

Great time at Kingsmill

by TripAdvisor Member ReviewerMaryland

Just returned from 2 nights at Kingsmill with a group of then adults. We had a great time--the resort was beautiful. The rooms and suites were lovely, spacious, and extremely quiet. You couldn't even hear the telephone ring in the bedroom from the living room. The spa treatments were uniformly excellent. The golf on the Plantation course and the par-3 course right along the river were great. The food at breakfast and lunch was above average. The only negatives were very slow service in the restaurants and having to ask several different times if there were any specific requests with the rooms, etc. However, even when slow, everyone was so kind and polite, we just let it go.

Great Stay At Kingsmill

I stayed at this beautiful resort from July 1-July 5. My traveling group consisted of my sister and her three children ages 11-14. Our 1 bedroom suite was spacious and spotlessly clean. The Dream Vacation Package included a beautiful breakfast spread as well as 4 day bounce tickets to Busch Gardens and Water Country. This is a beautifully landscaped resort surrounded by a golf course and water.

The service was fantastic and no request was denied. The kids enjoyed everything at the resort from racquetball and bike riding to the indoor and outdoor pool. A nice bonus is the fact that guest at this resort enjoy early entry into Busch Gardens. We also took advantage of the transportation to Busch Gardens and Water Country. We had a wonderful stay and plan to return.

As for bugs--they are not unexpected in the summer in a natural environment such as this (we saw rabbits every morning)--we spotted some outside but they were few and far between--there were none in the rooms. There was very little time to enjoy the balcony but when I did sit out there mosquitoes were not a problem with a little insect repellent.

Great resort - highly recommend it

by TripAdvisor Member Rick Moore

We just spent three days at Kingsmill Resort in a one-bedroom riverview suite. Very nice accomodations and the staff was outstanding. Shuttle driver Dave made a special run just for us to take us from Busch Gardens back to our room (we forgotten some of our passes) and back to Busch which saved us at least 30 minutes of waiting for the next Shuttle. It was right at the beginning of our visit, so he made a very good first impression.

The kids loved the game room and the free 3-par golf course if very nice (they even loan you the clubs). Grounds are immaculate and we didn't experience any of the problems that I've read of in previous reviews. The shuttle to the parks is great and saved us a lot of parking costs and hassles, and with an hourly schedule, planning our visits was very easy.

The morning breakfast is outstanding, though you better get there early or you'll be waiting awhile to get in. They moved the breakfast to a large ballroom while we were there due to the crowds. It's a little pricey, but I'd gladly stay there again.

Beautiful room! Great staff!

by TripAdvisor Member HappyBee

We recently stayed at the Kingsmill Resort on a wonderful Dream Vacation Package which also included 2-day bounce passes for Busch Garden and Water Country, daily breakfast, and a lunch. Our 1-bedroom suite was luxurious and spotlessly clean. The bed was so fluffy and comfortable, it was hard to get up in the morning!! The resort is lushly landscaped with a beautiful river-front location, tennis courts, golf course, spa, restaurants, and even a small beach by the marina. We were amazed at the level of service at the resort! Everywhere we went, the staff was helpful, friendly and courteous. There's a shuttle and/or caddy service that drives you everywhere if you prefer not to walk around.

As for the bug problems reported by a few other guests, it's to be expected if you hang out on your balcony at night in the summer time! You are in Williamsburg after all!!

Will definitely come back again!! Great for family with children too!! Book the vacation packages! You'll get the most value!

Bugsmill It Is!!!

Well to start off, I read a review months ago before going to Kingsmill Resort where someone wrote about the bug problem there. Well I second that statement.
The resort however beautiful, definately has a problem. Our view was of the beautiful James River although we could not enjoy the view the way we would have liked because we could not sit outside on our balcony because of the many spider webs with huge spiders coming out at night, not to mention the mosquitos coming in once you open the sliding glass door.
The front door also would not shut completely (it did lock) hence the ant problem. Along the door frame were hundreds of little black ants. I left my purse on the floor at night woke up in the morning sat my purse on the bed and wouldn't you know it ants everywhere!!!! Wrote a note to the maid about the ants and the mosquitos in the room. She wrote a note back that she would let management know about the ants but told us to keep the balcony door shut. Okay we only opened the door one time saw the mosquitos coming in, (did she really think we are that dumb to open the door again) and kept the door shut the rest of our visit. Thank God we just stayed two nights. The second night the ants got really bad, could not even leave my fudge I bought in the room, had to leave it in the car because they were crawling on the dresser and night stand. Oh and did I mention know one ever came by to fix the ant problem. At least the bedding was white therefore you knew where the ants were.
As far as the amenties, from what we saw seemed nice, never really got to swim in their pools, our kids did play in their game room, just okay, my son won a stuff animal on his first try so he was happy.
Never got to eat in any of their restaurants, tried to eat down by the marina, of course no seating and did not want to wait for a seat to open up. Seemed like all the patrons were looking at you because you had to walk around to find a table and of course there weren't any available. So we left and had dinner at the Whaling Company (read a review here about how great this restaurant was so I thought I give them a try) and had a great meal. Our server was excellent and attentative, would most definately go there again.
When I checked out I informed the front desk again about the problem, she apologized for the problem but that the was pretty much gist of it. If she had asked me to come back, I would have told her not a chance. For the money I could have stayed somewhere nicer, although considering it's Williamsburg the hotels here are slim pickins. Probably end up staying at the new Great Wolf Lodge Resort. Oh and I totally forgot this little tidbit, the walls to the connecting rooms are totally thin. I heard our neighbors clanking dishes and talking every night. Almost forgot, amidst the ants and mosquitos. WOW, what a stay!!

Treated Second Class

This was my second stay and the last. If asked by the staff if you are in the Family Vacation Package, please say No! If you say Yes, you and your family are treated with less respect than the "Convention" guests are. The "Convention" guests receive preferential seating for breakfast, (I waited 25 minutes for seating for 3 while three large groups having identified themselves as being with such/such convention where immediately seated. Also, I was ignored during check-out for this same group and had to finally voice my request to check out. I spoke with other "Family Vacation Package" guests on the ride to Busch Gardens and at least 4 other families shared the same opinion!
The MOST insulting part of staying at Kingsmill was that I was overcharged for my room. I showed the clerk my confirmation letter with the price and she told me that it was out of her control and that I "should be happy to have stayed here."

Comments