Legacy of Williamsburg Bed and Breakfast

930 Jamestown Road, Williamsburg, Virginia, 23185, United States

More about Legacy of Williamsburg Bed and Breakfast

Fabulous B & B near Colonial Williamsburg

Joan and Art Ricker run a fabulous B & B within walking distance of Colonial Williamsburg. A charming house, complete with rickety/creaky floorboards and offset canti-levered doors, well furnished and homey. Our suite had a great propane burning fireplace in a quaint sitting room. The main bedroom featured a large four-poster bed with a deep soft mattress and pillows to match - perfect for a cold winters night after a long day of sightseeing. Joan also boasts about her baking, and the daily snacks of homemade molases cookies and scones, along with her cranberry-walnut bread and english muffin toast don't disappoint.

I highly recommend their establishment, whether just for a long holiday weekend getaway as I used it for, or a longer visit to beautiful Williamsburg. Art and Joan will also be happy to arrange dinner reservations or get local touring pamphlets for their guests. Overall, a wonderful experience - I hope they continue for many years to come.

Best Bed and Breakfast in Virginia and Possibly the East Coast

I stayed at the Legacy of Williamsburg just after Christmas of 2005 and it was a great place to stay and relax. The inn was well decorated for the season and the suites were well appointed. The food was enjoyable. If you are looking to stay at a bed and breakfast in the Williamsburg area this is the place to make a reservation.
Bob, Halethorpe, Md.

Excellent Stay

We wanted a special 15th anniversary trip and it was perfect... Feather bed, fireplace, perfect suggestions for dinner... wonderful Inn Keepers.
This was a surprise for my wife and I wanted to have several special activites but also wanted to be flexible with our plans, the Inn Keepers spent time with me to plan out several activites that were "must do" and "could do". Needless to say the planning worked out perfect and we had an anniversary to remember for a lifetime.

Clean, classy and comfortable - You won't be disappointed.

The Rickers are seasoned innkeepers and it shows in every detail of The Legacy. From the impeccably clean and lavishly appointed rooms to the friendly, knowledgeable staff to the historical accuracy of the furnishings, visitors will be hard put to find fault with this lovingly designed B&B.

We're B&B veterans who've experienced the gamut of what an inn can be, and The Legacy ranks right at the top. It's everything it is promoted to be and more. The guest rooms and suites are roomy yet warm and inviting. The linens are crisp but soft, the beds like something out of a fairytale, they're so deep and comfy.

If you're coming for the history of the area, you'll be delighted with how much the hosts know about it, including tips on how to avoid lines and busy times at the attractions. Their taste in furnishing the inn is truly stunning, and for those who appreciate the details of home and period decor, there is much to find interesting here.

The atmosphere is classy but casual, the furniture's comfortable and appropriate, and the food really is to die for. Joan's a real wizard in the kitchen, so be prepared for some real treats.

One important facet for those with non-traditional families: As a gay couple, we often experience trepidation when staying at a non-gay-owned inn, never knowing how we will be received. It's not an issue with us and we don't flaunt or behave inappropriately, but it's obvious we're a couple and sometimes -- especially in the South -- that can be at best uncomfortable, and at worst, a real problem.

No such anxiety with the Rickers. They were as warm and open with us as they were with the rest of the guests at The Legacy while we were there. We don't expect special treatment, but we do expect to be treated like everyone else where we stay. At The Legacy, we enjoyed both, because it appears that everyone is treated specially there. It's the difference between an okay trip and a real nice time, and we appreciated it. We heartily recommend our fellow GLBT travelers consider The Legacy a truly bright spot in an often murky and sometimes scary world.

We had to reschedule our trip due to inclement weather, and Joan went out of her way to accommodate our issues, even though it interrupted their busiest season. She worked with us to figure a way we could complete our visit when we could, without losing our deposit.

A young couple with a small baby also stayed when we were there, which we understand is not something they usually allow, but the Rickers apparently felt that this family would be a safe bet not to disrupt the quiet atmosphere, and they were right. I was happy to see that they make an effort to accommodate every visitor's special needs. Quite impressive.

On top of all this, the quaint gazebo and walkway on stilts provides a great place to just chill out after a long day of touring and sight-seeing. The Legacy's close proximity to Merchant Square and Colonial Williamsburg only enhances the package. The whole atmosphere is that of a perfect college town, with a pedestrian-friendly downtown, easily navigable layout and a great little coffee spot.

This was truly one of the most comfortable places we ever stayed, and one of the most satisfying historic visits we've ever made. Book your stay at The Legacy today -- you won't be disappointed.

Great Place to Stay in Williamsburg

My husband and I spent 3 nights at the Legacy of Williamsburg Bed and Breakfast. We loved the location which is about a 15 minute walk from Historic Williamsburg. We parked our car and spent 2 days walking instead of driving, sitting in traffic and looking for parking places. We stayed in a suite which was lovely, decorated in colonial fabrics and colors with a comfortable queen size bed. We also enjoyed the fact that the inn is non-smoking, but has a lovely gazebo overlooking the garden where my husband enjoyed a cigar with a glass of wine and a book while I went shopping. The breakfasts were wonderful, different everyday (waffles, pancakes, Eggs Benedict)always with some fruit and protein and selection of juice. Everything was home baked and we were offered dessert (coffee cake) to top off each breakfast. There were hot and cold beverages and a jar of cookies available at all times. Be prepared to splurge a little on the diet as all of the baked goods were delicious. Finally we found our hosts, Joan and Art to be very interesting, friendly and helpful and the kind of people you wish you could get to know better. Definitely stay at the Legacy of Williamsburg.

Authentic, quaint 18th Century experience

I just spent a lovely week-end at this delightful Bed & Breakfast. The Innkeepers were extremely accomodating, the breakfast's they offered were fantastic, the rooms were lovely, the location extremely convenient and the price was great. My only negative comment would be that regretfully as a group of 4 co-workers, we were reprimanded by a fellow Guest for being too noisy, which I must admit, we probably were! We came in one evening late and passed back & forth in front of their room between our two rooms, so the noise levels in the hallways is the only concern I would have, however; I would definitely stay here again on my next trip to Williamsburg, and may even plan a special trip down just to stay here and enjoy Williamsburg's charm & offerings. I highly recommend this B&B.

Wonderful Experience

by TripAdvisor Member smnthabrnwnab

We stayed here March 16-19, 2006. Having never been to a B&B before we had no idea what to expect. I can only say I believe the bar has been set very high. Breakfasts were absolutely delicous, molasses cookies were a wonderful treat in the evening. Accomodations were very cozy, quiet and comfortable. The Ricker hospitality was wonderful!! Art gave us great tips on what to see and do. Joan your cooking and baking is out of this world. Location was great a nice walk to Merchant's Square and Colonial Williamsburg. Highly recommend a stay here.

The Legacy of Williamsburg

My husband and I just spent a night at the Legacy B&B in Williamsburg, VA and had a great experience. We just parked the car in the driveway and stepped right into the Williamsburg experience.

The inn was perfectly appointed as if you were lodging at a tavern from colonial times. The breakfast was spectacular, and the innkeepers, Joan and Art, were delightful.

The close proximity was very appealing to us. We were able to walk throughout Williamsburg and get the most out of our brief stay.

Highly recommend The Legacy of Williamsburg

by TripAdvisor Member teamaven

My husband and I always stay at bed & breakfasts when on vacation, and thought The Legacy was wonderful. We spent three nights there Monday through Thursday. The Peyton Randolph Suite was lovely and spacious. Lots of closet space. Probably the most comfortable bed we've ever slept in! The bedroom, sitting room, and bathroom were immpecably clean. Some historic area B&Bs tout not having a phone or TV in the rooms, but we were glad we had both, to call in restaurant reservations or to catch up on the news.

Our sightseeing schedule was so packed that we never got to use the billiard table, or sit out in the gazebo with a glass of wine, but I like that they are there. Perhaps next time! We did use the fridge in the billiard room to store restaurant leftovers, and to chill that wine that we brought but didn't drink! We also liked being able to grab a chilled water or soda, provided by the innkeepers, each morning on our way out. At night we helped ourselves to cookies and hot tea before bed.

Joan served a hot breakfast each morning between 8 and 9 a.m. From what I could tell, no one was made to feel rushed, even if they arrived just before 9. We usually showed up around 8:30. Even though we have no dietary restrictions, she had thoughtfully inquired if we did when I made our reservations. Breakfast was unique each morning -- delicious eggs benedict and the best-ever raisin bun; spiced pancakes with lemon sauce served with bacon; salsa quiche (not so crazy about that last one) -- and always acommpanied by fresh fruit, coffee or tea, choice of juice, and elegantly served. Conversation over breakfast with other guests was always pleasant, and something we enjoy about staying in B&Bs. Joan's husband Art engaged us in a lively conversation about local "politics" if you will, between the Colonial Williamsburg Foundation and local innkeepers and merchants.

The Legacy of Williamsburg is within walking distance to Merchants Square in Colonial Williamsburg, but I think it's just under a mile. We brought our bikes, which was great for getting back and forth. We found a public bike rack near The Peanut Shop. Aromas Coffeehouse is great for college atmosphere, a refreshing smoothie, snack, lunch, or even a casual dinner and jazz at night. The Blue Talon Bistro has excellent food, but service and wait time for food can be a problem. Avoid waiting for a table for dinner at the nicer restaurants by making a reservation each morning.

We would absolutely recommend and stay again at The Legacy of Williamsburg B&B!

Legacy was marvelous

Our recent stay at the Legacy Bed and Breakfast, Williamsburg was a truly wonderful experience. The food, (breakfast, snacks), were of course all home made and the service was absolutely perfect. The decor of the Legacy was as if I were back in colonial times but with modern day amenities. I have never seen a place so clean and perfectly appointed for it's location and evironment, and I have traveled quite a bit and all over the Country. The knowledge of local interest from shops, entertainment and eateries was extremely beneficial when you have just a couple days to get around. The Legacy would prove to be a great advertisement for Williamsbiurg once someone has stayed there, due to the fact that first impressions are key. I will now be part of the annual or bi-annual return list simply because of our experience at The Legacy.

Comments