3601 Ironbound Road, Williamsburg, Virginia, 23188, United States
Orbitz.com Booking.com Expedia.com

Satisfaction Average

Costs 33% more than similarly rated 3 star hotels

More about The Historic Powhatan Resort

Powhatan Plantation, Great Place!

by TripAdvisor Member shadefarm

We stayed at the Powhatan Plantation the last full week in March, 2004. We had a wonderful time. It really is a beautiful place, and I?m sure it is really beautiful when everything is in bloom. We had a 2-bedroom bottom floor unit with a hot tub. Everything was clean including the hot tub. We had absolutely no maintenance problems. The condo was very roomy and was probably one of the nicest that we have ever stayed in. After reading some of the posts, I was pretty curious. There wasn?t any indication that this is a resort from the 70?s in need of repair as some people have mentioned. Maybe ours had already been redone, I don?t know. All the appliances and furnishings appeared to be new. The indoor pool area located in the Activities building could use some upkeep; it really needed to be repainted. Although to my kids, they couldn?t have cared less about the paint! They loved playing racquetball, tennis and swimming in the indoor pool. We didn?t do the miniature golf, which would hardly be worth the $5 a piece. Why they charge for that and nothing else, I don?t know.We did use the 2 computers that they have in the main building for everyone to use. The computers stayed pretty busy though, and one wasn?t working by the end of the week.Check in went rather smoothly. They will let you pre-register at 2:30 and you may get lucky and yours will be available. One thing that is a bit odd, you register on one side and then you have to get in line again on the other side of the building to get your key.We didn?t get hit up about buying a timeshare, which was nice.Overall we thought this place was great and we would come back here in a heartbeat if we were ever in the area again.

A great culinary and historical experience!

by Jefie about The Kitchen at Powhatan's Plantation

This restaurant is set in the actual kitchen of the Powhatan Plantation's manor house (ca. 1735). The table d'hote is quite affordable but a bit limited - there's usually a choice of game, fish or vegetarian. The service and ambience are great, and I would recommend making a reservation (near the fireplace if possible) because the restaurant is quite small. The salmon was very good - portions are quite large!

Best Place to visit

I felt right at home. Most of the time when I stay in a rental I am not comfortable but the resort was warm and inviting. This is the only place I will stay when visiting Williamsburg again. Powhatan Plantation is a community. The staff was extremly hospitable. The best Valentine's day my husband had giving me.

Almost a total disaster!

by TripAdvisor Member sondrad

Having stayed in Williamsburg VA last fall, at a beautiful resort called Williamsburg Plantations, we recently took advantage of a special offer through RCI for a week at Powhatan Plantation in Williamsburg. It was described to us as an efficiency, with cooking facilities, sleeps six. We were a family of six, traveling with another family who was staying at a sister resort.
We arrived on a beautiful, warm (85 degrees) Saturday April 16th, mid afternoon. The forecast for the week was more of the same. We were looking to sunny days at the pool, playing tennis and golf and generally being lazy.
Things started out well, check in was fluid. They had a warm reception staff mingling throughout the area, offering cooking, dressed in period clothing. They encouraged us to register to attend a special breakfast on Tuesday morning to provide feedback on their check in process, something they obviously were working on actively. We had read previous reviews and were a bit nervous, but our fears were alleviated to this point with a flawless check in process. In fifteen minutes we were registered and driving toward our unit.
The unit was Atrocious! The resort should be embarrassed to even be renting such a place! I have lived in the less than Tony outskirts of Boston and have had better accommodations.
We were assigned a top floor unit. The entryway to the unit had a common door. The plastic jam was shattered and so the security lock to the foyer was not usable. The door stayed open or ajar most of our short visit. As we approached the common entry, we noticed some bathroom hardware lying in and among the holly bush to the right. It appeared to be a metal towel rack, with drywall studs, brackets and some coated wire. We entered our unit door to a very small (3x4 ) foyer with a long stairway. The floor of the foyer (obviously recently replaced) was hideous gray and white speckled, peel and stick Formica squares.
The carpet on the stairway had periodic, patterned stains, the size of a quarter, as if droplets had been sprayed along its path (I did not want to know). The air in the unit was stale and the AC had obviously been off for a while (despite our having made reservations for this time over a month before, far warning of our arrival having been provided.)
At the top of the stairs, our prospects did not improve. The stain pattern culminated in four large blotches, across the floor of the small living room of our efficiency. One stained appeared to have been bleached in a futile attempt to remove it.
The kitchen facilities were a narrow walk way to the left of the living room. Although it had a dishwasher and sink with garbage disposal, it had no stove or oven. Along one wall were louvered bifold doors, when opened, revealed a full size washer and dryer. One cabinet hung alone at the end of this narrow space and suspended below it, like am after thought, was a little microwave.
We searched in vain for about three minutes for the cooking facilities, until my thirteen year old daughter spied a hot plate on a wire rack above the washer. By taking it down and plugging it in on the 2x3counter space, this was the stove we were expected to feed six on for the week.
We moved on to the master bedroom, as our girls ran up another short flight of stairs to view the second bedroom. Our two grown teenage boys looked sullenly at the double size couch, which was to fold out to their shared bed. As they worked to unspring the couch bed, they realized that the springs along its center were sprung. Lying down was a bit like lying in quicksand, with both rolling to the whole in the center left by the lack of spring supports. One son opted to sleep on the floor.
The stairway up to the second bedroom was dimly light, despite a double casement that hung at its apex. The seal had been broken on most of the windows, so seeing out was nearly impossible, with a constant fog across the glass.
In the master bedroom we found a nice size queens bed. The blanket that lay under the bedspread had an even larger brownish stain at its center. We tried to determine if it matched the stains along the carpet and stairway, before we ripped it off and shoved it into the dark corner of the closet.
The master bath had one 18" by 2' window at its far end, seal broken, dim light. It had no shower, but a whirlpool tub in a cedar decking which had seen better days- varnish peeling and its base a bit spongy to the foot. Our attempts to step the haggard decking, left us wondering who was staying under us and how they felt about a tub landing in their unit when the decking gave way.
Along the left wall were the remains of what must have been our towel rack in the bushes outside. Exposed screws and brackets got us thinking about the brown stains again.
Their was a second bathroom off the living area, at the head of the entry stairs. It was 4.5 feet wide (we measured) and about 10 feet long, including its closet like shower. Signs on the wall gave us nice clear directions on how to use the steam shower, but we could not find it. Maybe they took it out for a magic fingers bed.
In this bathroom, when one 5'6" person sat on the commode, there was exactly 3 and a half inches between their bent knee and the wall.
The shower was four feet wide, by 2.5 feet deep and only 6 feet tall. My 5'6"son had to duck to reach the shower head.
We were outraged. The furniture was broken, doors fell off, and drawers lay at jaunty angles. We felt claustrophobic as we thought of 7 days in this unit with our six people.
The air conditioning by now had creaked to a full run and was registering a balmy 84 degrees.
As the kids sat stunned on the sofa my husband and I marched down to reception to remedy this situation. Surely I thought they made a mistake and had not intended to rent this unit to any one!
Sadly they informed us that no mistake was made. They said we were never promised cooking facilities and pulled out what they described as a common confirmation. After we had rummaged through our things, we found their actual confirmation to us, which did indeed say cooking facilities, but they ignored our plea.
They were full and could not accommodate us, but if we checked in on Monday, maybe they could move us to something slightly bigger. Bigger! What about livable! What about not condemned by the health department. Resigned to hanging out until Monday, I asked for directions to the four beautiful outdoor pools they advertised, only to be told, in an oh so pleasant "we are truly sorry" way, that the pools were closed, had been since the hurricane last year and would not be opening soon. She offered directions to the indoor pool. An indoor pool in 90-degree weather. YUCH! I told her I thought it was a bit disingenuous to not have told us this when we made the reservations and she just smiled dimly.
Back at our unit, my daughter had found bugs in her bed (I am not making this up!!). I changed her sheets and called housekeeping. For additional money they would give us new linens.
My husband called reception again and demanded to speak to the manager. She was pleasant but firm about our situation- there was nothing they were able (or apparently willing) to do. They had our money, we had their slum and that was going to be it.
I called RCI, spoke with a young man named Chris, who became our savior. He was appalled at our experience so far, and got right to work on finding us another resort. We went out to dinner (even though dinner out every night was not planned in our budget, what could we do?)
On Monday, the manager of Powhatan called and said they had found us another unit. We would be charged $75 for a moving and cleaning fee (they cleaned these??!). Imagine, despite all of this, they were going to charge us. After hearing our outrage, the woman said she didn't blame us, she had just started working at Powhatan and hated it. Great.
We headed out to Norfolk for a tour, by a friends son, of the USS Donald Cook. As we were there, Chris from RCI called, he had found us a lockout at Fairfield Resorts Patriots Place on Richmond Road and we were all checked in and ready to go! Thank you, Thank you Chris! We moved at day break on Tuesday to a wonderful, clean, well appointed three bedroom unit in a wonderfully accommodating, friendly resort and spent the rest of our time enjoying ourselves!
Powhatan Plantation- nice grounds, landscaping is breathtaking, beautiful estate manor, but clean up your act or go out of business!

Dated, mismanaged, avoid it

This is an old time share development that is under new management. The check-in begins this disaster as you are forced to wait while ill-trained counter staff stumble through registering a crowd. No Hyatt, Hilton or Marriott this place. While you are waiting you are hustled to sign up for a "free breakfast" that is really a time share sales promotion.

The accomodations were modern, but finding other people's belongings behind doors and ind drawers lead up to believe the "cleaning" of the room left something to be desired.

The minature golf course was a tired old relic that you had to pay to play (we didn't).

The pool is unsupervised and was dominated by loud, unsupervised teenagers in the evening.

We sought this location because we wanted a "suite" type setting for our two boys and ourselves. It was not enjoyable, it was not inexpensive, and we will never return.

We had a great time

Our family of four stayed at Powhatan this summer. After all the "bad reviews" I was ready for anything. We were very pleased. The staff was great at check-in and check-out. The room was clean and everything was in good working condition. And yes we were asked to attend a breakfast, and they do tell you a lot about the resort. Just say no if thats not your thing. My girls spent most of their free time at the pool, which was very nice. We will plan to stay there again soon.

Disappointing

What a disappointing experience. I guess it depends on your taste. This resort is dated, worn carpeting, and needs total renovation, at least in the unit we were assigned. We were so disappointed, we stayed 15 minutes and went to another hotel. Our complaints to management feel on deaf ears. If you're looking for something upscale. Don't stay here.

No complaints here

I saw some of the negative reviews but wasn't too concerned before our trip to Powhatan. None of the complaints here (loose toilet paper roller, construction site outside the unit) seemed like it should be enough to ruin a vacation. Sure, I like everything to be in working order, but I think I can handle unrolling toilet paper in my hand. It's not strenuous, at least not to me. I guess some people just like to complain about minor details. When I'm on vacation I'm there to relax.
It's better than being at work. Anyway, we had a great time. The place was clean an very comfotable and my work desk was hours away. Can't wait to back later this year.

Very pleased with the resort

My husband and I were very pleased with the resort. We went for a get a way and found the property to be very nice, clean and everything was in working condition. We feel as though we found the perfect location and are planning to bring our family back with us on an extended vacation.

no problems with our stay

by TripAdvisor Member minegirl

We stayed in a one bedroom here for one week 2/28 - 3/06/04, and found it very adequate for our needs. Our hot tub was very clean, as was the whole unit. Although our appliances (dishwasher, stove, etc.) looked brand new, the rest of the kitchen did not; the drawers were hard to open and they have a very sparse selection of tools and pots/pans for cooking. Although the kitchen and bathroom looked like it needed updating, the dining room, living room area, and bedroom were in fairly good condition. We paid $253 for a week at this place, which works out to $36 per night, and got this price on auction. We were very pleased with the unit for this price. If I was paying the "full price" for this condo, I would expect everything in tip-top shape, which it was not. We only received one phone call from the resort asking us to attend the timeshare presentation; we declined, and were not bothered again our whole stay. Our check in/out were very speedy, and we had no problems with the staff.

Monument to "Taps"Monument to "Taps"

Inside the churchInside the church

Merchants Square shopsMerchants Square shops

Fife & Drums Parade, Colonial WilliamsburgFife & Drums Parade, Colonial Williamsburg

Comments