Burial site of Thomas, Lord Fairfax
Inside Christ Episcopal Church, hanging on the back wall is the silver plate on which Fairfax arms had been engraved. This plate was attached to the double coffin for Lord Fairfax when he died December 7, 1781 in Alexandria. His request to be buried in the chancel at Frederick Parish was long understood and honored. His body has been moved twice since the original entombment. Once he was interred inside the church , but he is now at rest beside the church, outside.
Although he remained a Loyalist during the Revolution he was never disturbed and lived quietly at Greenway Court, a place about a mile south of White Post in now Clark County.
The attached web site is quite interesting and good reading.
The architect of this present Gothic Revival Church is believed to be Robert Mills. Mills was born in Charleston, SC. When he developed an interest in architecture he was sent by his family to apprentice with James Hoban, architect of the White House. Mills designed eleven churches in five states. He was the designer of First Presbyterian Church in Augusta, Georgia.